RMweb

Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Dave. Good to know. Looking at the samples for the J94, the oily rag clean effect has been very well captured.

I know this is slightly off topic but will the Lightly weathered King have the same oily rag effect? Having seen the first 14xx EP's I'm looking forward to seeing the first decorated samples. And the King EP of course.

I'll need to check fully on the King to tell you the truth - it'll be based off prototype photos but I'm not sure if these are 'oily rag cleaned' or just a small amount of dirt.

I'm out of the country for a few days now so my replies won't be as frequent, but i'll try and get on here on a few evenings to keep you updated!

Will the bodies be available as a spare part, perhaps unpainted?

This could be interesting, and probably depends on any arrangement made between Hattons and DJM Dave.

I think Dave at DJM once said that anything worked on by him would have full spares backup but, so far, only the Kernow Beattie Well Tank spares diagram has appeared on DJM's own site. No sign of the ex-LSWR O2, etc.

Is H1406, as now being shown, a revision to the original plan? The listing at page 1 of this thread described H1406 as a 14XX lettered GWR, coloured green and including top feed. I was very disappointed as my modelling era definately favoured them being without. My vote, therefore, would be for no top feed.

Yeah the O2 is a Kernow model. Still doesnt guarantee that Hattons have authorised Dave to have the spares himself.

As it happens, Dave confirmed late yesterday that Kernow O2 spares will be available from him after next weekend.

I think we'd all be interested to see whether similar spares backup arrangements will be permitted by Hattons.

Will the bodies be available as a spare part, perhaps unpainted?

I wondered this some months ago, I emailed Dave, he said to ask Hattons and they said they won't be (at all, painted or not).

Maybe the situation is different now, if it is I'd like to hear. It would be nice to put such a good body on a High Level chassis

Edited by johnarcher

I wondered this some months ago, I emailed Dave, he said to ask Hattons and they said they w, on't be (at all, painted or not).

Maybe the situation is different now, if it is I'd like to hear. It would be nice to put such a good body on a High Level chassis

Hattons would surely prefer you to buy their complete model, rather than just a body. If the chassis, which I expect they will have paid a lot of development money on, isn't good enough for you, they'd probably wonder why they should sell you just the body.

• RMweb Premium

Hattons would surely prefer you to buy their complete model, rather than just a body. If the chassis, which I expect they will have paid a lot of development money on, isn't good enough for you, they'd probably wonder why they should sell you just the body.

Spot on !! It always amuses me that people who turn up their noses at OO chassis standards expect to be able to save money by buying just part of a model; those days are long gone. If you can build a better chassis then you can surely build the body too ?

Ebay may oblige in time, but if you're in a hurry you'll have to buy a complete model and sell the chassis on Ebay - someone's bound to want it to stick in a defunct Airfix 14XX !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

It was just a brief thought, as everyone was being so enthusiastic about how good the body will be. If there were still a decent kit for the 48xx I'd rather build the whole thing anyway, So will probably shift period back a bit and look at a Mitchell 517.

Still if they're not going to sell the whole model anyway to many EM or P4 people (with a body so apparently accurate why not have it right below the footplate too?), why shouldn't they get themselves a few extra sales by selling bodies?

Edited by johnarcher

• RMweb Gold

Spot on !! It always amuses me that people who turn up their noses at OO chassis standards expect to be able to save money by buying just part of a model; those days are long gone. If you can build a better chassis then you can surely build the body too ?

Ebay may oblige in time, but if you're in a hurry you'll have to buy a complete model and sell the chassis on Ebay - someone's bound to want it to stick in a defunct Airfix 14XX !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

No doubt there are plenty of kitbuilt K's 14xx of sentimental value to their owners out there in need of a new chassis, too.

• RMweb Gold

Did I say I only wanted a body? Maybe I might need a whole loco and a spare body and give more revenue to Hattons. In my case it's nothing to do with thinking the chassis "isn't good enough". It's about not wanting to carve up a £100 tank loco to make the body accurate and potentially making a hash of it. H1401 and H1402 are not accurate for as-built examples of the 58xx and early 48xx built prior to 1936. 

It always amuses me how people make wild assumptions about why people have asked a question.  :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

Did I say I only wanted a body? Maybe I might need a whole loco and a spare body and give more revenue to Hattons. In my case it's nothing to do with thinking the chassis "isn't good enough". It's about not wanting to carve up a £100 tank loco to make the body accurate and potentially making a hash of it. H1401 and H1402 are not accurate for as-built examples of the 58xx and early 48xx built prior to 1936. 

It always amuses me how people make wild assumptions about why people have asked a question.  :rolleyes:

This comes up every time there's a new loco on the horizon.

The days when the Tri-ang service department could wander through into the factory and pick up a body moulding from the bin are long-gone.

For one thing, loco bodies are no longer one piece moulding; (thank goodness); they have to be assembled from numerous components by skilled staff.

Secondly, stocks of surplus components are no longer kept at the factory; sufficient bits for the ordered production batch will be produced, and assembled into finished models. Any small surplus of components will be dumped before they move on to the next production order.

We read daily of complete models arriving with loose bits, despite careful and complex packing. How do you pack multi-part loco bodies so that they arrive even largely intact after being shipped halfway round the world?

Model railway production has changed out of all recognition. Like it or not, if you want to be certain of getting a specific model (or part of a model) you pre-order the whole item and await its arrival.

Either that, or you wait on the off-chance that someone will eventually dispose of the part that you want via Ebay.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

It was just a brief thought, as everyone was being so enthusiastic about how good the body will be. If there were still a decent kit for the 48xx I'd rather build the whole thing anyway, So will probably shift period back a bit and look at a Mitchell 517.

Still if they're not going to sell the whole model anyway to many EM or P4 people (with a body so apparently accurate why not have it right below the footplate too?), why shouldn't they get themselves a few extra sales by selling bodies?

With respect (and speaking as someone who models in both OO and P4), that statement could be construed as part of the on-going P4 verses EM verses OO debate, which is probably not going to be considered appropriate on a thread like this.

It will be interesting to see how easy the RTR chassis can be converted to EM and P4 by using 'drop in' wheelsets. Many RTR 0-6-0 locos seem to run perfectly happily in P4 with 'drop in' wheelsets as the only real difference. I'd personally be happier with some kind of compensation, were I going to do this to my Hattons 14XX, but I've decided to keep mine for a planned OO project, as I already have a P4 one (K's body on a Perseverence chassis).

• Like 1

With respect (and speaking as someone who models in both OO and P4), that statement could be construed as part of the on-going P4 verses EM verses OO debate, which is probably not going to be considered appropriate on a thread like this.

It will be interesting to see how easy the RTR chassis can be converted to EM and P4 by using 'drop in' wheelsets. Many RTR 0-6-0 locos seem to run perfectly happily in P4 with 'drop in' wheelsets as the only real difference. I'd personally be happier with some kind of compensation, were I going to do this to my Hattons 14XX, but I've decided to keep mine for a planned OO project, as I already have a P4 one (K's body on a Perseverence chassis).

Nothing contentious was intended, in retrospect 'right below the footplate' was not a good expression, it might suggest other things are wrong which was not intended.

Still might it not be nice to match the fine detail above with finer wheels below, without suggesting there's anything wrong if people don't choose to do so?

I've not used drop-in wheels, doesn't it give rather a gap between wheels and frames? It's a thought though

• RMweb Gold

Nothing contentious was intended, in retrospect 'right below the footplate' was not a good expression, it might suggest other things are wrong which was not intended.

Still might it not be nice to match the fine detail above with finer wheels below, without suggesting there's anything wrong if people don't choose to do so?

I've not used drop-in wheels, doesn't it give rather a gap between wheels and frames? It's a thought though

Fair play. 40 thou black plasticard has been used effectively before by people like Philip Hall to 'thicken' the chassis out, and in fact even Ultrascale to a pair of false side frames for the Hornby 28XX.

• RMweb Gold

I'm very tempted by the wartime black GWR versiom H1405 but was wondering how long these would have stayed in the black after the war.I would change its identity to one in the 14xx series for my '47 scenario but would quite like the livery if authentic.Are there any photos in the Peto's register book.

post-126-0-32290700-1456650199.jpeg

• Like 2

Captain Kernow quoted.......

'It will be interesting to see how easy the RTR chassis can be converted to EM and P4 by using 'drop in' wheelsets. Many RTR 0-6-0 locos seem to run perfectly happily in P4 with 'drop in' wheelsets as the only real difference. I'd personally be happier with some kind of compensation."

Blinking PPI has come to model railways? Queue all the ambulance chaser (or express chaser) adverts on the telly now............

'Got a wobbly loco? Is a rivet missing? Did you really want it in P4? You might want you claim through shyster flywheel and shyster, your honest team who will move heaven and earth or a new embankment, to get you the compensation you deserve' phone Whitehall 1212 now and speak to one of our un named customer service / on board train manager person for details on how you can claim"

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

'It will be interesting to see how easy the RTR chassis can be converted to EM and P4 by using 'drop in' wheelsets. Many RTR 0-6-0 locos seem to run perfectly happily in P4 with 'drop in' wheelsets as the only real difference. I'd personally be happier with some kind of compensation."

Blinking PPI has come to model railways? Queue all the ambulance chaser (or express chaser) adverts on the telly now............

'Got a wobbly loco? Is a rivet missing? Did you really want it in P4? You might want you claim through shyster flywheel and shyster, your honest team who will move heaven and earth or a new embankment, to get you the compensation you deserve' phone Whitehall 1212 now and speak to one of our un named customer service / on board train manager person for details on how you can claim"

Hi Dave,

Don't quite get what you're on about here, but I haven't had any sausages today yet, so that might be the reason.

Suffice to say, I'm very much looking forward to getting mine, and won't be pulling it apart to change the gauge, not this time.

I wasn't hoping for compensation, merely considering some equalisation between the fine body and the underpinnings. Maybe I will, when it appears, spring into action. Now we wait for the release, I can hardly stand the suspense(ion).

Edited by johnarcher