Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Would be nice to see a video of them running!

Agree. It also begs the question about when they are due.... I guess the latest date of Dec/Jan has slipped recently.... it is only a guess... but there hasn't been any post about "shipping now" which would give us something like 6 weeks notice of their arrival in the U.K.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

A couple of quick updates for you. We're still expecting these in December and January and there's been no delivery slip.

Regarding the weathering (and thanks Andy for putting the images up!) we've arranged for masks to be placed over the windows for the production run. We'll also be limiting the weathering on the smokebox door numberplates too.

As soon as we have the word 'Go' on locos being shipped etc we'll update here as per usual.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3

I know I'm very late to the party, and apologies for being Miss Picky, but the model does not seem to capture the size of the bolts on the bufferbeam and the bufferstock plates. This is a common failing on many RTR mouldings, where designers often see them as 'just another small rivet'. (Below is a crop from the OP pic, which I hope is ok for the purposes of comment here.)

post-133-0-32299800-1479561217.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I know I'm very late to the party, and apologies for being Miss Picky, but the model does not seem to capture the size of the bolts on the bufferbeam and the bufferstock plates. This is a common failing on many RTR mouldings, where designers often see them as 'just another small rivet'. (Below is a crop from the OP pic, which I hope is ok for the purposes of comment here.)

You're right - you are being picky

Good to see you back Miss Prism!

Hi all,

A couple of quick updates for you. We're still expecting these in December and January and there's been no delivery slip.

Regarding the weathering (and thanks Andy for putting the images up!) we've arranged for masks to be placed over the windows for the production run. We'll also be limiting the weathering on the smokebox door numberplates too.

As soon as we have the word 'Go' on locos being shipped etc we'll update here as per usual.

Cheers,

Dave

really... can't wait.... any longer

That's because the Oxford Rail Dean has stolen them ! :)

• Like 1

Preservation has always been the paint guide for some people it seems. Back in the early to mid 1970's almost every customer sending their 14XX and 45XX for painting requested a restored engine number, so i had to follow suit and paint it as restored. This of course meant giving it the usual **tarted up appearance not to mention incorrect livery so beloved in those days. Even on 'layout locos', my  clients would not have thanked me for painting over their real brass safety valve covers.

** Incidentally there was a reason behind those early tarted up liveries. With steam still around or recently departed on BR, the emerging heritage lines had to look different and distinctive. 

• RMweb Gold

Preservation has always been the paint guide for some people it seems. Back in the early to mid 1970's almost every customer sending their 14XX and 45XX for painting requested a restored engine number, so i had to follow suit and paint it as restored. This of course meant giving it the usual **tarted up appearance not to mention incorrect livery so beloved in those days. Even on 'layout locos', my  clients would not have thanked me for painting over their real brass safety valve covers.

** Incidentally there was a reason behind those early tarted up liveries. With steam still around or recently departed on BR, the emerging heritage lines had to look different and distinctive.

Hence some the odd liveries at Keighley etc (Ivatt 2-6-2T leaps to mind). Also why a lot of railways often shy away from "Banger blue" or later liveries for diseasels, as there is a perception that punters don't want to be reminded of bad commutes or similar.

• RMweb Gold

Hence some the odd liveries at Keighley etc (Ivatt 2-6-2T leaps to mind). Also why a lot of railways often shy away from "Banger blue" or later liveries for diseasels, as there is a perception that punters don't want to be reminded of bad commutes or similar.

Not always, believe it or not, this picture taken in October 1992, is of a preserved diesel on preserved stock on a preserved railway.

(Even some enthusiasts thought this was borrowed from BR as class 50s and NSE Mk2's were still in service, for 2 more years !), indeed NSE Mk2s could be found at less than 10 miles away from this photograph with 31/4s and 37/4s on Blackpool, Barrow and the odd Southport workings at this time too, happy days !

Must have been confusing for visitors at the time.

post-20773-0-58241800-1480756984_thumb.jpg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

I have always thought it was dodgy territory when heritage poeple paint their locos incorrectly and say it doesn't matter because the punters wouldn't know the difference. They can hardly complain when "They dont know the difference" comes back and kicks them in the teeth after they have put a DMU into traffic and those same punters complain "I can see these at my local station".  

However, to get back into the spirit of 14XX 0-4-2T's, one in 0 gauge has just arrived so I'm off to unpack it and have a quiet drool.....

• Like 2

The 60s saw steam engines not being cleaned and left filthy dirty. BR was heading into the all blue or blue grey era and generally the rather austere or very standard way in which the railway was being run was doubtless putting people off of BR.

Preservation groups starting out had to look different so in the 70s we see a lot of locos in pre-nationlisation colours with some tweaks to make them look exceptional. Even the catalogues of the time had few modern blue items, even fewer BR steam colours and mostly pre-nationlistaion colours. By the late 70s, early 80s, It was the heyday of the GWR layouts spawning the country. What is more, there were plenty of people still alive whom has lived through that epoque, the steam record breakers and world war II. You could find plenty of people telling of their personal experiences, often tainted in memory but interesting and inspiring  none the less.

Helas what replaced BR is a mixed bag of better or worse, the pre-nationlistation generation passed beyond the vale, and those of us wishing re-enact the era either in 1:1 scale or smaller, painstaking research the era, trying to remember the details that we were once told when, fact checking in the books while mixing it with our own memories. True I model the trains of the late BR ear when I was young but equally those steam engines I saw in preservation. I then research what my Grandmother would have seen a 100 years ago...

How many preserved engines have bright shiny domes when in service that did not? I can think of a few. Should Hattons offer such? Sure if it existed as such and stated on the box.

[snip] 

Preservation groups starting out had to look different so in the 70s we see a lot of locos in pre-nationlisation colours with some tweaks to make them look exceptional. 

indeed. you only need to look at the pictures from the S&D celebrations or Rocket 150 to see that most of the engines (where applicable) were sporting their pre-nationalisation liveries, some (largely the National Collection ones) have retained those liveries since, but others like SNG have moved onto BR liveries, as the original BR era itself has moved further and further into history.

Paul. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Hatton's Dave.

I presume at this point, December is now looking unlikely?

Something to look forward to in the New Year. :)

I made that point a few weeks ago and Dave replied NO, still on course..... I would have thought something would have been said about them being on board a ship by now....

• RMweb Gold

I made that point a few weeks ago and Dave replied NO, still on course..... I would have thought something would have been said about them being on board a ship by now....

See post 732.

• RMweb Gold

Having just seen the picture of 4871, I must confess I can't wait to get hold of one. I notice that the model depicted has had a bit of a 'tating', bits missing here & there. Still, the effect is pretty spot on, and I'm not too bothered about the missing 0.5mm missing from the footsteps. At last, no topfeed (at least, not on the one I want), which opens out the working age range.

Finally, it's a Llantrisant loco.. Sorry, but I'm a bit funny there. If it lives in the 'Golden Triangle' that is bounded by Abercynon, Tondu & Llantrisant, then it's going to be ok!

Now, young Dave Jones. Seeing as you're going through the K's catalogue, can I request an 26xx 'Aberdare' next?

Nice photos, thanks Andy.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Ian

Having just seen the picture of 4871, I must confess I can't wait to get hold of one. I notice that the model depicted has had a bit of a 'tating', bits missing here & there. Still, the effect is pretty spot on, and I'm not too bothered about the missing 0.5mm missing from the footsteps. At last, no topfeed (at least, not on the one I want), which opens out the working age range.

Finally, it's a Llantrisant loco.. Sorry, but I'm a bit funny there. If it lives in the 'Golden Triangle' that is bounded by Abercynon, Tondu & Llantrisant, then it's going to be ok!

Now, young Dave Jones. Seeing as you're going through the K's catalogue, can I request an 26xx 'Aberdare' next?

Nice photos, thanks Andy.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Ian

Frankly, I'd rather have SE Finecast go back through K's catalogue!  I don't want another disappointment like the non-pre-war 4800. I was very upset (!)

In a welcome sign that traditional kits are alive and well, SE Finecast has announced a new whitemetal /nickel silver chassis kit of the 517 0-4-2T: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117704-south-eastern-finecast-gwr-517-0-4-2t/

More typical of branch services that the 4800 until at least the mid-1930s, it is, for me, the solution to the gap Hatton's have left by not tooling the 4800 for its 'as built' condition. 

Without needing to master full-on etched brass kit construction, here is a good route to an accurate GW branch line locomotive for the pre-war modeller.  I'm afraid that, thanks to the compromises on the RTR tooling suite versus the flexibility of the Finecast kit, my money will be going to Finecast not Hattons for my branch passenger engines. 

• Like 2