Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

Dangerously far off topic, but, the question didn't specify that it had to be an accurate model! After all, the other model mentioned was GW 101!

I would love a straight framed Saint. Is not Lady of Legend to be Straight framed? It would be marvellous if Bachmann or Rapido were commissioned to make a model of her!

Subject to having my knuckles rapped by the mods, I've always found "topic" to be predominantly an advisory aspiration!

Pics below of the Lady taken on Castle's excellent RmWeb tour of Didcot last summer. Definitely straight framed. If manufacturers had a strategy, they'd be looking for model to be available when the real thing is also ready!

Davidpost-22698-0-10455500-1481530771_thumb.jpg

Edited by Clearwater
  • Like 4

Ok not strictly GW but certainly in essence - the D600 Warships - none to scan, dies being cut by DJM's factory.

True but the models are taking a long time to produce. There may be other reasons, of course, but going by the length of time taken by these, the Bulleid diesels and the 21/29s, it doesn’t seem to be a simple matter to research these older types with no example preserved. On the other hand, we have no idea how long Heljan took to research its “oddballs”.

Scan or no scan, it's a mine field. Scan a preserved loco and inadvertently in corporate post preservation mods. Go off original drawings and miss in service mods, build an accurate model of D601 in service and someone will pop here with a previously unseen picture of d602 with a different mod, etc etc

• Like 1

Scan or no scan, it's a mine field. Scan a preserved loco and inadvertently in corporate post preservation mods. Go off original drawings and miss in service mods, build an accurate model of D601 in service and someone will pop here with a previously unseen picture of d602 with a different mod, etc etc

That is probably why it can sometimes be a benefit for the manufacturers to work with the forums and enthusiasts, simply because of how much it can expand the research net prior to tooling kick-off.

P. 

I can enlarge on Clearwaters sensible words. In a nutshell, kit-builders have been aware of this for decades, which is why the old maxim was, when building a loco, work off photos of the loco you wish to model at a particular period. RTR manufacturers, be they producing models in plastic or brass, can only ever give buyers a typical loco and the rest is up to us. Now it is pretty obvious at this point that this is where RTR-dependant who wants everything done for him comes unstuck. 

• Like 1

Thanks very much for your update Dave.

I do not think that they look too shabby ... in fact, I think they are rather wonderful and well worth the wait.  :senile:

It looks like Santa will be bringing me a nice pressie around Xmas!

Edited by KGV

• RMweb Gold

Ahead of the main batch, we've had a couple of the production run of the first two locos sent through, which are currently clocking up the miles on my desktop rolling road - but not before putting them through our photo studio...

Cheers,

Dave

Can you give one to Andy York as he knows someone with a scenic rolling road to test one. ;)

Dare we mutter in low baited breath that now what we are in dire need of  are suitable current standard RTR (or plastic kit) GWR pre 1948 Auto-coaches and B Sets for these handsome beasts to push and pull on sundry branch layouts and even occasional mainline excursions.  My last old Airfix/Hornby autocoach took a dive off the end of the track on Little Brixham many years ago and smashed into the road up to the station from the fish dock (actually the floor and it broke into an unrepairable pile of parts.)

Edited by autocoach

Dare we mutter in low baited breath that now what we in need of  are suitable RTR (or plastic kit) GWR pre 1948 Auto-coaches and B Sets for these handsome beasts to push and pull on sundry branch layouts and even occasional mainline excursions.

A30 (Airfix/Hornby), and E140 (Airfix/Hornby/Mainline) respectively.

I think an 0-4-2T plus B-set combination was uncommon/rare.

• Like 1

A30 (Airfix/Hornby), and E140 (Airfix/Hornby/Mainline) respectively.

I think an 0-4-2T plus B-set combination was uncommon/rare.

5816 with B-set marked 'Llanfyllyn Branch and Oswestry' 5th August 1935.

4812 with B-set unmarked (wartime brown) same service 26th August 1946.

• RMweb Gold

A question for Hatton's Dave

Firstly thank you for all your updates. They are much appreciated and I for one admire your patience!

Will a Lenz 6 pin direct decoder 10311 be suitable for these locos? Secondly if they are, will I be able to buy them from you guys ( as I have many times in the past)......your current stock of Lenz products is a little underwhelming.

Kind regards

John

• RMweb Gold

More oddities - 1464's extended lubricator pipe cover, and 1404's very strange topfeed:

attachicon.gif1464-extended-lubricator-cover.PNG

attachicon.gif1404-strange-topfeed.png

The extended lubricator pipe cover on 1464 would most likely be a bodge job. Someone drilled the holes for the lubricator in the wrong place, and the extended cover is the visible result. I'd reckon that that cover only lasted as long as the smokebox wrapper. Once the smokebox was parted from the front tubeplate ring, then a set of pipes conforming to the drawing would most likely be made. The photograph shows up an anomaly which would only have existed for some 7 years or so, due to boiler changes, etc. 

Ian.

Edit. Now I've looked at that photo again, I can see how it came to pass. The lubricator pipe hole has been drilled opposite it's intended position. In other words, the hole was drilled on the left side, instead of the right side. to get over this, the smokebox has been fitted back to front, and the pipes extended to suit. That's a crafty 'get-out-of-jail' card. A smokebox wrapper is just a sheet of steel, and the front tubeplate, along with the door front, go to make up the other major structural components of the smokebox proper.

Edited by tomparryharry

• RMweb Gold

But it could still suit someones timeline, so is quite feasible.

Oh yes! That's the beauty of modelling as we do. You can have a period where your layout features such anomalies, and is absolutely correct. Where we sometimes go wrong, is to latch onto a photo, and pronounce that the entire class of loco should look like such-and-such, based upon a photo of someone's cock-up! 

Ian

Sadly another error, though maybe not actually a design error. The cab's vertical handrails are protroding through the ends of the knobs. Why? Can't say I've ever seen that arrangement on Great Western engines, but I stand to be corrected. That's going to have to be corrected when I get mine!