Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I received my new 48xx from Hattons yesterday and have had it on the rolling road 'running in' today. Seems to be running sweet although like most four coupled models there is a slight rocking at speed. This doesn't matter to me as the loco will never break sweat on Much Murkle.

post-7649-0-05274300-1487346317.jpg

I would have preferred it to be a bit lower geared but with a good controller slow speed running should be ok. I thought I would do some comparison shots against my elderly modified Dapol version.

post-7649-0-56947200-1487346325.jpg

post-7649-0-07128100-1487346333.jpg

Bearing in mind that the Dapol (now Hornby and previously Airfix) body moulding is around 40 years vintage it holds up quite well I think. The running qualities are another matter. As already mentioned in this thread, a quite noticeable omission on the new model is the lack of an ashpan leaving quite a bit of daylight between the rear wheels and the driving wheels.

Having put a lot of effort previously into the old Dapol model it will not be retired but will be having a new High Level chassis fitted as soon as I can get around to building it.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Bearing in mind that the Dapol (now Hornby and previously Airfix) body moulding is around 40 years vintage it holds up quite well I think. 

Whilst looking at your photographs and before reading the above, that was my exact thoughts.

• RMweb Gold

Whilst looking at your photographs and before reading the above, that was my exact thoughts.

The Dapol version has had some extensive reworking with a Mainly Trains detailing kit. Top feed removed, new chimney, smokebox door etc but the main physical differences between the two appear to be that on the Airfix / Dapol / Hornby version the cab height is slightly lower, the dome is slightly smaller and there is no daylight under the boiler.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just received this afternoon my much waited for 4825.

To show what a smart model it is I have literally taken it straight out of the box, plonked in various settings on my Little Muddle layout and taken a series of pictures, here are what I think are the best.

Never mind the 4800, where can we see more of your layout Kevin?

• RMweb Premium

Seeing the previous posts I thought I would comment on my 4825, (Received Thursday).

The loco was run in on a rolling road with DC at different, increasing voltages before a decoder was fitted.

The decoder fitted is the latest version of a Lenz Silver Mini +

My observations

Packaging: Excellent, smacks of quality.

Decoder fitting: fiddly, not for banana fingers! I would have preferred the decoder socket to be fixed facing forwards rather than pulling it out, backwards on a wiring loom!

Body: Nice detail but some a bit fragile, especially that very thin pipe on the RH side which is just flapping about.

Finish: excellent

Chassis: IMHO too much play in the coupling rods, certainly more than the Airfix model, also more play in the gear train.

Driving wheels appear over size (22mm 5' 6" - should be under 21mm 5' 2"), trailing wheels are also slightly oversize.

Running: Pretty smooth but some Hornby locos with 5 pole motors are better. Certainly not a rough runner by any means.

Top speed: unlike others I haven't found this to be excessive. With the decoder fitted it attains a scale speed in either direction of 63 mph with CV max in decoder set at 255. In fact it is the first loco in ages that I haven't had to reduce the top speed!

The model is still tail heavy, like the Airfix one. Ideally a small 0-4-2T model should balance with all the weight on the driving wheels - not easy to do in practice

Overall a nice model with a few niggles but a worthwhile addition to my roster.

Nice one Dave/Hattons

Keith

Edit: The Airfix loco does have daylight under the boiler, unfortunately is filled with that ruddy great universal joint!

Edited by melmerby

Isn't the old one going into the railroad range at a similar price? If so, I'd wait...

I purchased one of the first run Chinese made Hornby 14xx locos at the old Thurleigh Models in Wincanton in November 1999 whilst my wife and I were living in a small village in the Blackmore Vale. It has always run sweetly but in 2010 I fitted a second pair of plain driving wheels in place of the tyred wheels and since then it has been brilliant even over my less than perfect track. Now after 18 years of loyal service it just keeps getting better and better. In all that time it has hardly ever been off the track and I think my wife would divorce me if I was to replace the old "Wincanton" loco!

Please have a look at the video I posted on youtube, sorry for the quality, hard to drive and photograph at the same time!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Driving wheels appear over size (22mm 5' 6" - should be under 21mm 5' 2"), trailing wheels are also slightly oversize

I was wondering about that, having looked at the photos of the model posted on here. I hardly dared mention it before. The drivers in particular look rather prominent in some photos.

• RMweb Premium

As well as my nice new DJ Models/Hattons 48XX I still have two Airfix ones from 35 odd years ago, both run OK but are extremely noisy in comparison.

One I bought new and the other sometime later S/H.

The only mods are DCC decoders and getting rid of the traction tyres.

I have replaced the drivers with Alan Gibson wheels on one and the salvaged tyre free drivers replaced the ones on the other loco.

The plunger contacts still work well and the locos are far from jerky as some have reported.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I purchased one of the first run Chinese made Hornby 14xx locos at the old Thurleigh Models in Wincanton in November 1999 whilst my wife and I were living in a small village in the Blackmore Vale. It has always run sweetly but in 2010 I fitted a second pair of plain driving wheels in place of the tyred wheels and since then it has been brilliant even over my less than perfect track. Now after 18 years of loyal service it just keeps getting better and better. In all that time it has hardly ever been off the track and I think my wife would divorce me if I was to replace the old "Wincanton" loco!

Please have a look at the video I posted on youtube, sorry for the quality, hard to drive and photograph at the same time!

A very nice running auto tank there.......... I first got mine back in the early eighties but was very disappointed in the performance and production compromises and I had given up on the previous Kays incarnation.....................  I did posses the excellent Perseverance etched Autotank kit but never made it  having been tempted away from all things Western ,   but now finally after 37years a really decent RTR offering sits in my cabinet even though I`m totally O Gauge!!!!!

Have modified mine to deal with 'ashpangate'. Made a pan based on an earlier drawing of the model in development and used 30thou plasticard in 2 pieces laminated together and shaped to an angle at the rear axle end. Drilled a hole to enable access to the cover plate screw. Photos as follows. Needs a second coat of satin black. I will live with no rivets on the sides as they are unlikely to be visible to the naked eye on a side on view.

post-13514-0-87558400-1487442239.jpg

post-13514-0-02923000-1487442241.jpg

Edited by rembrow
  • Like 5

A very nice running auto tank there.......... I first got mine back in the early eighties but was very disappointed in the performance and production compromises and I had given up on the previous Kays incarnation.....................  I did posses the excellent Perseverance etched Autotank kit but never made it  having been tempted away from all things Western ,   but now finally after 37years a really decent RTR offering sits in my cabinet even though I`m totally O Gauge!!!!!

Thanks for the kind words, if you are ever passing through Brisbane please come and have a look..............

• RMweb Gold

For everyone arguing against the recess for the factory fitted plates would you have preferred this on every example?

Frankly, I think we would have preferred both models to be right, first time. It may be a small point, but if the factory cannot guarantee to get such nameplates on square each time, then why not leave it to the purchaser to do?

Frankly, I think we would have preferred both models to be right, first time. It may be a small point, but if the factory cannot guarantee to get such nameplates on square each time, then why not leave it to the purchaser to do?

Agreed. Why not print the names/ numbers and provide a set of etched plates for the purchaser to fix, makes renumbering/ renaming much easier.....
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree with both above posts, however since the specification was for factory fitted etched plates on the 14xx, I completely agree with the recess. Perhaps it has been done too deep, or the brass was too thin, but I still believe it was the right decision.

Agreed. Why not print the names/ numbers and provide a set of etched plates for the purchaser to fix, makes renumbering/ renaming much easier.....

Probably because there are too many hamfisted peeps out there who struggle to open a box without destroying it let alone stick a plate in the right spot .

• Like 2

The more I look at 5819, the more impressed I am. Yes, there are minor niggles - the cab roof handrail on mine is loose and shifts out of position, and the lack of ashpan is noticeable but both those are easy fixes. The numberplate in the recess is no different to a printed plate as far as replacement is concerned - you just stick a new plate over the top. It might protrude a couple of microns further than it should but the same would happen on a flush side if you use too thick a layer of glue! We really are down to splitting hairs on this, in my view. We have opening cab doors that don't look over scale and even a couple of loco lamps and all for under £100. Now I have four or five old Airfix/Dapol/Hornby ones that I won't be able to even give away! (CJL)

• Like 5