Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

Has anyone measured the the maximum speed of the model loco?

Hattons 14XX on 12 volts 60 mph, on max power 80 mph, minimum speed limited by my uneven track, around 2mph.

It runs very sweetly at a scale 25mph

Based on three different locos The Hornby 14XX does over 100 mph and does not run smoothly at any speed, though it does limp along at a scale 10 mph.

The Bachmann 64XX is slightly faster than the Hattons 14XX as is the the Bachmann 57XX and the Bachmann 8750 is much faster.

Timed by stopwatch. over 80ths of a scale mile.

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If the Hattons 14xx tops out at a scale 80mph, and people reckon they could achieve that on the Chalford autos, then it sounds as though the gearing is about right, with Bachmann 64xx and 57xx being not too far out, Hornby 14xx is well over the top and is not geared to do itself any favours given it's well known other problems, and the Baccy 8750 running too fast as well for some inexplicable reason; it's not as if it is more aerodynamic than the 57xx.  None of which matters if the running is smooth, the starting and stopping not jerky, and the operator not too heavy handed...

I believe that the next batch are now in as I have just received an email notifying me that my pre-order for H1401 Class 48xx 0-4-2T 4825 in GWR Unlined green with Great Western lettering has been processed.

I believe that the next batch are now in as I have just received an email notifying me that my pre-order for H1401 Class 48xx 0-4-2T 4825 in GWR Unlined green with Great Western lettering has been processed.

Me too! Edited by Coppercap

I have what amounts to a concealed loop on my layout, the ends of which are of necessity formed from Peco ST220 No 1 radius standard curves i.e. approx 15" radius.  Am I correct in assuming that the Hattons 14XX wouldn't be happy running round them?

• RMweb Gold

Four versions have arrived. In addition to above, 1400 class in BR unlined green and 2 5800 class in BR lined black and unlined black

It looks like they've saved the weathered versions till last then. :read:

It looks like they've saved the weathered versions till last then. :read:

Looking at the Hattons site, there are 3 pristine condition versions still to come, they are showing with 1 of the weathered versions (H1402) as expected on or after 10th March. The rest of the weathered versions are showing as expected on or after 31 March

The reported speed of the autos going down Chalford bank seems to go up by 1mph per year...

The Auto trains raced the LMS expresses on the near level track between Standish Junction and the divergence of the LMS line from the GW line towards Gloucester, not down Chalford.

I have what amounts to a concealed loop on my layout, the ends of which are of necessity formed from Peco ST220 No 1 radius standard curves i.e. approx 15" radius.  Am I correct in assuming that the Hattons 14XX wouldn't be happy running round them?

I didn't think to test if the 14XX goes around a 1st radius curve,  I will  try and get some on Thursday and give it a try,  maybe I could even get some 13 " radius Triang Standard track and really give it something to think about.

The Auto trains raced the LMS expresses on the near level track between Standish Junction and the divergence of the LMS line from the GW line towards Gloucester, not down Chalford.

As a youngster living near Cheltenham I distinctly remember the Standish races - in both directions. The 14XXs always won, beating both Jubilees and Peaks. The other race was the Panniers from Malvern Road v the LMS from Lansdown. Again always a GW win but sabotaged by the Tramway Junction bobby (LMS) letting his train in to Eastgate ahead of the GW train into Central.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Me too!

Ha Ha  ........  Me too.....    Pre-ordered April 2015........ Cancelled December 2015...... Sold all my 4mm stuff December 2016...

but mine still arrives tomorrow !!!!!!

You can never escape the GWR inquisition !!!!!!

• RMweb Premium

I believe that the next batch are now in as I have just received an email notifying me that my pre-order for H1401 Class 48xx 0-4-2T 4825 in GWR Unlined green with Great Western lettering has been processed.

Likewise, packed and tracking number issued.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Ha Ha  ........  Me too.....    Pre-ordered April 2015........ Cancelled December 2015...... Sold all my 4mm stuff December 2016...

but mine still arrives tomorrow !!!!!!

You can never escape the GWR inquisition !!!!!!

Well, if you don't want it, send it on to me. It'll then technically be secondhand mind, but not yet commanding a premium "discontinued, no longer available" price!

• RMweb Gold

nice try Coppercap!!!

but I hav`nt cancelled my Kernow GWR steam railcar pre-order so she will eventually have a playmate.

I`ll just have to get some of that new Peco bullhead track now................

• Like 1

Purchased a 14xx 1470 and a Bachmann auto coach from Hattons yesterday whilst browsing the shelves.........a very impressive model loco has been produced here as I'm sure most on this forum would agree. Well done to Dave Jones and Hattons for developing this much sort after model and lets face it ..not one of the more straight forward prototypes to reproduce at the end of the day ....

Whilst at a friends last night I took the opportunity to take some photographs that I would like to share with you all .........been a bit scarce for some reason from this forum .... pics that is .

post-5136-0-21590800-1487166141.jpg       post-5136-0-31172800-1487166162.jpg      post-5136-0-84027600-1487166181.jpg

Going fast I believe so I would'nt hang around if you fancy one  :senile:

Purchased a 14xx 1470 and a Bachmann auto coach from Hattons yesterday whilst browsing the shelves.........a very impressive model loco has been produced here as I'm sure most on this forum would agree. Well done to Dave Jones and Hattons for developing this much sort after model and lets face it ..not one of the more straight forward prototypes to reproduce at the end of the day ....

Whilst at a friends last night I took the opportunity to take some photographs that I would like to share with you all .........been a bit scarce for some reason from this forum .... pics that is .

post-5136-0-21590800-1487166141.jpg       post-5136-0-31172800-1487166162.jpg      post-5136-0-84027600-1487166181.jpg

Going fast I believe so I would'nt hang around if you fancy one  :senile:

• Like 12