Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

Can I ask of those who know,which one of the GWR models would represent the earliest running locomotive of the class ?

Merry Christmas everyone.

H1401/2/3/4 all represent 1939 onwards condition locomotives with the cab footsteps/bunker steps etc. Whether these actual numbered engines had received these updates by in 1939 will take a lot more desk research.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

L/H plates on both releases showing pronounced slant. To say the least,unfortunate.....Does no one check these things before online imaging ?

It's possible they do BUT if most/all the stock is like this, then isn't it more honest to show what you're (likely to be) getting?    (Too early to tell from just these pics if it's a production problem or they've just picked wonky ones)

• RMweb Gold

It's possible they do BUT if most/all the stock is like this, then isn't it more honest to show what you're (likely to be) getting?    (Too early to tell from just these pics if it's a production problem or they've just picked wonky ones)

Probably, but they also run the risk of losing orders if people think that these are truly representative. Most of us do etched plates straighter than that over transfer numberplates, I'd have thought.

H1401/2/3/4 all represent 1939 onwards condition locomotives with the cab footsteps/bunker steps etc. Whether these actual numbered engines had received these updates by in 1939 will take a lot more desk research.

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks for that Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed it is.But surely it's perhaps a way of losing sales to display such a glaring error on first release.

I think the numberplates crooked too, so much for what the recess was supposed to do......

For a couple of reasons I suspect the picture posted was of one of the livery samples.

Here's a couple of pics of a production model I've photographed where the numberplate looks pretty good (as I'd previously mentioned).

5808_3.jpg

5808_4.jpg

• Like 10

Is it just me, or has the smokebox dart only one handle?

It's just you. The other one is out at the 9 o'clock position and hidden behind the axle.

It looks like it's in the 3 o'clock position to me - I'd say it's almost pointing towards the camera.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

You've pretty much beaten me all to it! We had the first pair of 14xx's delivered first thing this morning and are now available for sale. All of the pre-orders for these should be leaving us today however any orders placed from now onwards will head off after Christmas.

We've also updated the page on our website with the 'full story' on the development of these locos which is available HERE. This also includes downloadable copies of the service sheet and instructions.

Almost time to move onto the next project now this ones done....where did I leave those drawings for the Fell....

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 6

Seeing as how my comments regarding the cabside handrails shouldn't have the rails protruding out of the knobs was dismissed as a trivial detail error and easily corrected (which I don't think it is, without causing damage), then what's the huge difficulty with removing a (slightly) wonkily-applied numberplate and reaffixing it straight?

Hi all,

You've pretty much beaten me all to it! We had the first pair of 14xx's delivered first thing this morning and are now available for sale. All of the pre-orders for these should be leaving us today however any orders placed from now onwards will head off after Christmas.

We've also updated the page on our website with the 'full story' on the development of these locos which is available HERE. This also includes downloadable copies of the service sheet and instructions.

Almost time to move onto the next project now this ones done....where did I leave those drawings for the Fell....

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Do the production versions have the ashpan fitted?

Cheers,

Ben

Edited by BenL

• RMweb Premium

Cheers,

Dave

Um hold on, surely Dave you mean returning attention now to work on the Kings?

Edited by Hilux5972

Umm, time to come clean if the King is beyond this partnership's capabilities?

.... and on what basis do you make that comment? Has there been any suggestion whatsoever that the Hatton's King is NOT progressing as planned?

I do wish that there could be some acceptance in certain quarters that projects of this nature do not come to fruition at the wave of a magic wand!

I was party to the knowledge that certain of Hornby's releases of recent years were being researched and developed more than ten years before they came to fruition. The difference now is that potential customers know of future releases; then they were blissfully ignorant.

I sometimes think that we were better off then - but if that was the case, what would certain members have to froth about and criticise?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Has there been any suggestion whatsoever that the Hatton's King is NOT progressing as planned?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Not that it hasn't been progressing as planned, just that production was sidelined until the 14xx was out. Comments like the Fell one, meant completely in jest and that was understood as such, do make one a little bit concerned that it would not restart. On the flip side, I can't wait to see the 14xx running on people's layouts.

Regards, Ryan

Edited by Hilux5972