Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Couldn't be bothered to read thru all the venom have these little beauties started arriving?

A very merry Christmas and peaceful new year to all modellers.

T

It rather looks like they're increasingly available now, Terry. Not all the variants just yet though.

Yes, there's been a lot of 'cross language' on this thread over the last few days and weeks. Someone on the Hornby Peckett thread wondered why that thread had been so benign and friendly, in contrast to this one. I was thinking about that, and I wonder if perhaps many more people have knowledge of and an opinion on GWR/'mainstream' locos as compared with industrials.

If you know (or think you know) your GWR locos, then you are much more likely, I would have thought, to offer a comment on any given RTR model, whereas I would suggest that many people simply won't have the same working knowledge of industrials (and to be fair, there were far more variations on even on manufacturer's locos in reality, no doubt in large measure because some locos were produced to bespoke specifications by individual industrial concerns, although Pecketts did offer a standard range as well).

There are some very knowledgeable experts on industrials on here, to be sure, but it got me wondering whether the majority of us are perhaps just happy to have a genuine, bona fide industrial available as a RTR model now, and may not be aware of any possible 'minor issues' with the Peckett (not that I can tell either, and in truth, you could argue that virtually anything in industrial service could have been modified in some way, thus legitimately enabling an 'anything goes' policy to apply in model form).

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

At the risk of being pedantic, postulating that there may be a hidden agenda is completely different to alleging that there is censoreship on RMWeb. Not voicing support for either here, but they are two completely different concepts.

However, this looks to be a nice little model and is well priced, I'm guessing most people will be very happy with it. Now can we return to the more important topic of this thread, what is the best way to enjoy steak tatare?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

At the risk of being pedantic, postulating that there may be a hidden agenda is completely different to alleging that there is censoreship on RMWeb. Not voicing support for either here, but they are two completely different concepts.

However, this looks to be a nice little model and is well priced, I'm guessing most people will be very happy with it. Now can we return to the more important topic of this thread, what is the best way to enjoy steak tatare?

Very pleasant on toasted rye bread or similar. Rub a clove of garlic on the toast and spread tatare over. Simples.

Rob

• Like 1

Can I ask of those who know,which one of the GWR models would represent the earliest running locomotive of the class ?

H1401/2/3/4 all represent 1939 onwards condition locomotives with the cab footsteps/bunker steps etc. Whether these actual numbered engines had received these updates by in 1939 will take a lot more desk research.

Mike Wiltshire

I recently asked the highlighted question above.

Despite all the "experts" on here only Mike Wiltshire bothered to answer me. Thanks Mike.

Perhaps there aren't that many experts on here after all  :(

Happy Christmas everyone.

Despite all the "experts" on here only Mike Wiltshire bothered to answer me. Thanks Mike.

Perhaps they were all asleep in their armchairs...  :rolleyesclear:

• Like 1

It's here, with the Heljan 13xx and the Hattons 14xx we've moved from a Southern Summer to a Western Winter.

attachicon.gifRenderedContent-129EC279-A820-4D38-BC8E-B1C8D60CF5EF.JPG

Wasn't expecting this for Christmas, but a nice surprise in the morning mail.

First impressions, were hmm what's all the fuss about, however it only took a few minutes to sink in.

First up the dimensions, it looks on the whole Airfix/Hornby and DJModels both got it right and next to each other they sit ok, but only when you look you see...

attachicon.gifRenderedContent-90707B8C-1E65-416D-9281-4411551AD8E6.JPG

The airfix/Hornby tooling looks chunky next to the finesse of the DJmodel, things like the water vents, the beading around the tanks look finer.

attachicon.gifRenderedContent-7D99588D-9CCB-4DE8-BE20-F11F3EF7B0A2.JPG

Yes the edges on the Airfix Hornby one are really 1mm thick.

1979 versus 2016. We are in an interesting time where Hornby is dusting off tooling from the early 80s with modern mechanisms and selling them as bargains????? by actually solving the one key issue - the fact that nothing ran well. The 48xx and Dean goods and probably a few more could have been in this category assuming that the tooling was still usable.

• RMweb Premium

I have ordered a 48xx in "Great Western" green

I am hoping the recessed number plate looks better than on the N gauge Dapol BR green Hall which to me still looks distinctly odd in this area. The other cosmetic issues were resolved with paint.

With the Ixion black BR manor this was much less obvious.

Yes the new 14xx shows much greater finesse with much better modelled smoke box door and boiler fittings but the paint brush will be wielded when this arrives

• RMweb Gold

Personally, I've been enjoying Xmas without a computer :)

To answer your question in most the simple way - none of them.

Edited by 57xx

• RMweb Gold

Please pretty please somebody produce a diagram L 70' auto trailer, the most numerous, longlived, and widespread GW type, to go with it!  Not an easy one to scratchbuild with the panelling, and I'll forgive you if you model one that was fitted with Collett 7' bogies.  Even I can probably manage to scratchbuild the matchboard A9 I want...

• RMweb Gold

Or do a spot of modelling? :O  :jester:

Bernard

Whisper it softly but it would appear that this is not half bad a model. I suspect that production will not be repeated so it may be a question of doing just that if you wish to achieve a satisfactory end result.There seem to be a decent number of variants as it is and it may not be commercially viable to extend the range.As has been posted,Hattons Dave communication has kept us in the loop through the process.We shall see how it runs and how it sells.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Please pretty please somebody produce a diagram L 70' auto trailer, the most numerous, longlived, and widespread GW type, to go with it!  Not an easy one to scratchbuild with the panelling, and I'll forgive you if you model one that was fitted with Collett 7' bogies.  Even I can probably manage to scratchbuild the matchboard A9 I want...

I wonder if an A9 trailer is a suitable crowd funding subject? I'd like to have 2 for my particular area/timeline.

Ian

Please pretty please somebody produce a diagram L 70' auto trailer, the most numerous, longlived, and widespread GW type, to go with it!  Not an easy one to scratchbuild with the panelling, and I'll forgive you if you model one that was fitted with Collett 7' bogies. 

No need to scratchbuild. David Geen produces a very straight forward kit.

post-9992-0-76228500-1483122443_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

No need to scratchbuild. David Geen produces a very straight forward kit.

Mike Wiltshire

Hi Mike

Does the kit include everything apart from glue/solder/paint etc?

Or do we need wheels etc?

Cheers Keith

Hi Mike

Does the kit include everything apart from glue/solder/paint etc?

Or do we need wheels etc?

Cheers Keith

Full etches, castings, plans, history. Requires Glue/solder/paint/ wheels/Bearings/couplings. Currently I use Bachmann coach wheels from their packs of ten, supplied as spares - only because they are easy to obtain from my local shop, Peter's Spares.

Mike Wiltshire

My shirtbutton one, ordered yesterday and arrived about an hour ago by Royal Mail Tracked - top marks to Hattons for that: I hope they are reading!

First impressions:

Impressive amount of detail- probably too much: I know I'm going to break something off!!

Just given it a short run up and down my test track and it just purrs along (almost silently) very smoothly. The price, while more than I have ever paid for a small tank loco is just about bearable, and I will definitely be buying more when the other liveries appear.

That 'recess' - can't see it, and if anything the plate appears almost flush, so it might be possible to add new plates over the top to renumber (might need to grind the existing one down EVER so slightly.

No one has mentioned the box! A very strong box, with the plastic fold over insert as used by other manufacturers encased in foam.

Impressed? You bet! Bring on the King!