Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Umm, time to come clean if the King is beyond this partnership's capabilities?

After previous issues I'm now left to wonder if you are trolling?

I don't think he is, Andy. The way I read it, someone must have told him that ModelU is doing a 4mm scale version of Elvis.

• Like 1

Seeing as how my comments regarding the cabside handrails shouldn't have the rails protruding out of the knobs was dismissed as a trivial detail error and easily corrected (which I don't think it is, without causing damage)

If cutting them down is too great a task then replacing them with wire of the correct length is probably a better option.

What we had to do in the old days, but we also had to carve of the moulded on rails including the knobs before hand.

I know where I prefer to be as a starting point.

Bernard

My gosh did I accidentally press the nuke button!

Slightly non-plussed by the virulence of the responses and the suggestion of trolling; yeah, I devote time daily to a layout thread here just for the pleasure of trolling Hattons from time to time.

Really

Back on Planet Sense of Proportion I was merely speculating as to whether the Daves had taken on too much work and the King might be postponed or even quietly shelved.

Given the excitable responses, however, I will gladly withdraw the remark!

Happily surprised that this was dispatched today and not tomorrow as the website said it was expected for the 23rd.  Meant it would probably have arrived next week which would mean I'd not get it until after New Year as I'm away.  Good work Hattons, fingers crossed it'll be here before Christmas!  Can't wait, if they run well I may put an order in for a DJM King!

Edited by GWR8700

• RMweb Gold

This is not for me to interject but gentleman, can we bury this please and concentrate on the model locomotive.

I for one am worried that this quest for one up manship is in danger of undermining members opinions of your respective good selves..

Can we move on ?

Kind regards,

Rob.

This is not for me to interject but gentleman, can we bury this please and concentrate on the model locomotive.

I for one am worried that this quest for one up manship is in danger of undermining members opinions of your respective good selves..

Can we move on ?

Kind regards,

Rob.

Quite right.  Happy to.  As ever.

Silly to argue over trivialities.  No hard feelings.

May we all find it in ourselves to extend tolerance and goodwill this season.

• Like 5

Not that it hasn't been progressing as planned, just that production was sidelined until the 14xx was out. Comments like the Fell one, meant completely in jest and that was understood as such, do make one a little bit concerned that it would not restart. On the flip side, I can't wait to see the 14xx running on people's layouts.

Regards, Ryan

What about the 58XX running on people's layouts?

Quite right.  Happy to.  As ever.

Silly to argue over trivialities.  No hard feelings.

May we all find it in ourselves to extend tolerance and goodwill this season.

"Let auld acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to mind ...........".

An excellent sentiment, which I am happy to  endorse.

All the best to all our readers!

John Isherwood.

• Like 5

After previous issues I'm now left to wonder if you are trolling?

Nah, that's not trolling.

That's trolling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaqC5FnvAEc

The 14XX, good though I am sure it is, has stuttered into life with a couple of issues.  Fair enough to hope the vastly more complex King will have a smoother ride and be a better product, and not be abandoned in the attempt.  It does, after all, have to top an excellent Hornby version, and that is quite a hill to climb.  I would be amazed if there have not been some concerns or even second thoughts along the way.  But there we are.   

The only "issue" I can see is the discourtesy repeatedly extended to anyone who makes constructive criticism of a large manufacturer's or retailer's product. 

I would hate to see a grumpy but vocal minority drive this site from a credible source of prototype information and useful assessment of RTR output to a vapid shop window. It seems to me that there are clearly certain people who now are 'gunning' for Edwardian and will leap on pretty much everything he posts, and, frankly, I question the tone from the top on that score.  We all make the odd ill-judged comment, but generally his posts appear to be measured, constructive and well-informed, or, acknowledge the limits of his knowledge. He has consistently posted from a pro-manufacturer standpoint, too.  I admire him for sticking to his principles in the face of some pretty unattractive behaviour and trying to bring informed debate to RTR topics.  I know that helps me. I also know of a number of people who are reluctant to contribute such information or constructive criticism because they know they will get shouted down, and a number who have simply moved on because of it.  I think the site is/will be the poorer for this, and I dislike the site operates to impose conformity on some issues.

There, that's enough of this.  Things seem to have been patched up for now, and that is good.  It is, after all, the season of peace and goodwill. I hope people resist the temptation to put down fellows members when the New Year rolls round. Grown men have better things to do than argue about trains!  One of the things that attracted me to RMWeb is that it was a friendly site.  Let's not lose that or see it qualified as friendly only to those who toe the line, whatever the line is.

So I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

And remember ... none of this is really worth losing our tempers over .....

Best wishes to all.

• Like 4

Nah, that's not trolling.

That's trolling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaqC5FnvAEc

The 14XX, good though I am sure it is, has stuttered into life with a couple of issues.  Fair enough to hope the vastly more complex King will have a smoother ride and be a better product, and not be abandoned in the attempt.  It does, after all, have to top an excellent Hornby version, and that is quite a hill to climb.  I would be amazed if there have not been some concerns or even second thoughts along the way.  But there we are.   

The only "issue" I can see is the discourtesy repeatedly extended to anyone who makes constructive criticism of a large manufacturer's or retailer's product. 

I would hate to see a grumpy but vocal minority drive this site from a credible source of prototype information and useful assessment of RTR output to a vapid shop window. It seems to me that there are clearly certain people who now are 'gunning' for Edwardian and will leap on pretty much everything he posts, and, frankly, I question the tone from the top on that score.  We all make the odd ill-judged comment, but generally his posts appear to be measured, constructive and well-informed, or, acknowledge the limits of his knowledge. He has consistently posted from a pro-manufacturer standpoint, too.  I admire him for sticking to his principles in the face of some pretty unattractive behaviour and trying to bring informed debate to RTR topics.  I know that helps me. I also know of a number of people who are reluctant to contribute such information or constructive criticism because they know they will get shouted down, and a number who have simply moved on because of it.  I think the site is/will be the poorer for this, and I dislike the site operates to impose conformity on some issues.

There, that's enough of this.  Things seem to have been patched up for now, and that is good.  It is, after all, the season of peace and goodwill. I hope people resist the temptation to put down fellows members when the New Year rolls round. Grown men have better things to do than argue about trains!  One of the things that attracted me to RMWeb is that it was a friendly site.  Let's not lose that or see it qualified as friendly only to those who toe the line, whatever the line is.

So I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

And remember ... none of this is really worth losing our tempers over .....

Best wishes to all.

I hope so to, but now that Andy Y has all but branded Edwardian a troll (and the Usual Suspects have rushed to 'Agree') I wouldn't bank on it.

The site would be the poorer if he and others of his ilk felt they can no longer post here.

Anyway well said, it is the Season to be Jolly, Goodwill to all Modellers! 

Let's hope the New Year stays that way!

Happy Christmas!

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Umm, time to come clean if the King is beyond this partnership's capabilities?

I do find it perplexing that on the very day the first 14xxs have arrived in the UK and are on sale at Hattons premises (which I take to be at least circumstantial evidence that they are capable of delivering an RTR model) you are questioning their capabilities to deliver a King. That seems a counter-rational conclusion to reach given the evidence.

I have no doubt they are *capable* of delivering an RTR King that is satisfactory (to most of us). Capability isn't the issue. Market forces and projected demand may well be.

I do find it perplexing that on the very day the first 14xxs have arrived in the UK and are on sale at Hattons premises (which I take to be at least circumstantial evidence that they are capable of delivering an RTR model) you are questioning their capabilities to deliver a King. That seems a counter-rational conclusion to reach given the evidence.

I have no doubt they are *capable* of delivering an RTR King that is satisfactory (to most of us). Capability isn't the issue. Market forces and projected demand may well be.

As I recall, Edwardian has withdrawn his comment, so that would suggest it is no longer his view.

As I am second to no-one with ill-judged remarks, apparently, and have had what I think of as an interview without coffee with the CO as a result, I may not be the most persuasive advocate here (!), but I do share the concerns about the treatment meted out to some, usually those who least deserve it.

If there is such a thing as an Edwardian Preservation Society, put me down as a subscriber!   

EDIT: Grateful to Clearwater for referring to the Christmas wagon review - wagon #21982 and 'review' #21994, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69664-a-nod-to-brent/page-880.  If everyone concerned exhibited the same degree of humour and self-deprecation, half these spats wouldn't arise. 

Merry Christmas!

Edited by Fat Lieutenant
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It's here, with the Heljan 13xx and the Hattons 14xx we've moved from a Southern Summer to a Western Winter.

post-20773-0-50522200-1482490464_thumb.jpg

Wasn't expecting this for Christmas, but a nice surprise in the morning mail.
First impressions, were hmm what's all the fuss about, however it only took a few minutes to sink in.

First up the dimensions, it looks on the whole Airfix/Hornby and DJModels both got it right and next to each other they sit ok, but only when you look you see...
post-20773-0-12122200-1482490538_thumb.jpg
The airfix/Hornby tooling looks chunky next to the finesse of the DJmodel, things like the water vents, the beading around the tanks look finer.
post-20773-0-18437300-1482490527_thumb.jpg

Yes the edges on the Airfix Hornby one are really 1mm thick..

When you go closer the DJ one stands above, detailed and painted cab (DJM) , compared to a lump of metal (A/H), glass in the footplate windows (DJM) compared to none (A/H),

post-20773-0-02601500-1482490515_thumb.jpg

post-20773-0-45965600-1482490551_thumb.jpg

post-20773-0-40059400-1482490562_thumb.jpg

and the gap with detail under the boiler compared to even more metal on the Airfix/Hornby one.

Attached handrails, grab rails and fire irons hooks takes this a league above and all this discussion about the cab side number plates in my example amount to a lot of fuss about nothing...

post-20773-0-18535900-1482490503_thumb.jpg

that said the smoke box door is another matter.

On mine, it didn't fit flush to the smoke box and attempts to correct it weren't immediately simple, it clips in and pushes back out, the number plate also isnt quite even or straight, something for another day to look at.

On performance a Peckett this is not, on my gradient it struggled with 1, but it did take it away, however whilst my Airfix/Hornby one with the advantage of the traction tyres should pull anything, it was actually it's achilles heel, it took 5 attempts to even get a video as the rubbish pickups on the Airfix/Hornby one meant it stalled on the points, curves and just about everywhere..., not to mention the noise, the videos speak for themselves... at this point my DJM has sailed clearly, past the finish line.

(Those stutters on the Hornby one.. aren't the video.. its the model momentarily stopping..)

My final verdict is really simple my old Hornby 14xxs are going in the bin, end of no discussion, this one is leagues better, and I'm eagerly awaiting the BR Green one. I haven't run my Hornby 14xx in ages and this morning reminded me why, the DJModel picks up nice, runs smooth and is nice and quiet, it has finer detail, is more detailed.

But to be fair the Peckett has the edge for haulage and finish, the badly applied smoke box number plate and I'll fitting door slightly lets it down...

Finally what is all that fuss about number plates... on mine their straight, etched, well finished, flush and fine.

post-20773-0-57011200-1482490487_thumb.jpg

post-20773-0-08650300-1482490595_thumb.jpg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 8