Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

Looking good in those pictures just posted by adb968008.  I note the Airfix version has the A-word and the other does not, but other than that and the lack of a tidy finish to those cab rails, the comparison shows the new model to be much finer and more detailed. It is altogether more accomplished from every angle.

Overall it looks a very attractive and well-detailed model that seems to capture the look of the prototype well, and I can only repeat my earlier congratulations to the partnership for getting this one over the line.

As someone mentioned, forgive me for not recalling who, the "face" of the class appears to be particularly well-captured in the Hattons model. The contrast of the two models shows how far RTR has come, even though Airfix was a significant step up it its day.

Turning to other recent posts, the irony, of course, is that the post that sparked this latest 'to-do' was not one I was particularly proud of.  Indeed, I have withdrawn it and I do apologise to the "Daves".

For the record, I have several - 8 if I recall - of the Hatton Kings on pre-order, so, if I am a Hattons Troll, I suggest that it wouldn't do Hattons too much harm to have a few more Trolls like me! 

Also, it is a matter of record that I have been fully supportive of the King project for some time, and I have taken issue with those exhibiting impatience.  Yes, the aforesaid issues with the 4800 have given me some collywobbles with regard to the King.  It is a complex project and we have seen how the journey from impressive looking CADs to a model resembling it can be a difficult one.  Frankly omitting a part of the 4800 and the rather unprofessional finish to those hand rails did cause me some anxiety over what we might be expected to accept on the King, but, Daves please note, I have in no way abandoned my earlier support for the King, and I have neither cancelled nor reduced my pre-orders for the King.

todays PC crowd

What, like Coach? :O

Anyway, glad we all patched things up.

Let's keep our senses of humour and of proportion, and I wish everyone joy with whatever goodies Father Christmas brings them.

Merry Christmas!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 6

Interesting results with the test and review. Out of interest does the smokebox door remove the same way as the DJM J94. As a result Im wondering how easy it is to fit one with DCC Sound seperately, rather than have to buy one fitted with Olivias sounds and then need it to be reblowing as it will surely need that!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Constructive Criticism is considered a negative attitude by todays PC crowd, best to keep your thoughts to yourself if you are "old school". 

Constructive criticism is not an issue. Using issues as a platform to peruse a hidden agenda is.

People need to remember that railway modelling is a broad church and as such the amount of people who will be put off gets smaller the more minor or less obvious the error. Just because you may find it an abomination doesn't mean others will do so or that the manufacturer should be apologetic about it.

Thus if handrails are fractionally too long then its entirely appropriate to mention that fact - providing you also acknowledge what has been done right and the fact the model is a significant improvement on what went before.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Interesting results with the test and review. Out of interest does the smokebox door remove the same way as the DJM J94. As a result Im wondering how easy it is to fit one with DCC Sound seperately, rather than have to buy one fitted with Olivias sounds and then need it to be reblowing as it will surely need that!

It's mini-magnets holding the door on, same as the J94.

The instruction leaflet says it's designed for a sugar cube speaker in the bunker.

Constructive criticism is not an issue. Using issues as a platform to peruse a hidden agenda is.

People need to remember that railway modelling is a broad church and as such the amount of people who will be put off gets smaller the more minor or less obvious the error. Just because you may find it an abomination doesn't mean others will do so or that the manufacturer should be apologetic about it.

Thus if handrails are fractionally too long then its entirely appropriate to mention that fact - providing you also acknowledge what has been done right and the fact the model is a significant improvement on what went before.

Indeed constructive criticism and comments are indeed welcome. As with many things in life, and don't talk to me about life, it is often the manner in which it is expressed that raises concern. Tone ir style of voice is often difficult to convey in text but being repetitive, potential abusive or flooding many threads with the same views or rants, or potentially unfounded accusations are not so welcome.

Merry Christmas one and all and I think you will find the perfect ready to run model is at the other end of the universe...

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the service sheet on the 14xx page on Hattons, there is a space with wires in the bunker beneath the coal load to fit a sugar cube speaker, with the decoder in the smokebox. Follow the link below for the service sheet.

http://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/mediaimages/14xx_instructions_final-2.jpg

Regards, Ryan

I received mine today, 5808 in GWR shirtbutton livery. A surprise as I wasn't expecting it until after Christmas, well done to Hattons and the Royal Mail for getting these delivered quickly. What nobody seems to have picked up on yet is the hinged opening cab doors. I agree with the previous poster, the number plates really aren't an issue at all in my opinion.

phil-b259, on 23 Dec 2016 - 11:19, said:

I was going to suggest that the only hidden agenda on RMWeb was thou shalt only use fulsome praise to describe anything associated with one particular very small manufacturer, but that one isn't exactly hidden.

• RMweb Gold

Considering the tooling for the Airfix/Hornby version is almost 40 years old, the difference in the two models is less than you might expect. Of course the original Airfix model didn't generally run well, and the mechanism was changed (by Dapol, who first inherited the model, then by Hornby).

The Airfix 14xx was one of the first models to show that a higher standard was obtainable than the Hornby models of the time. One of those would show a MUCH larger difference...

• RMweb Gold

The Airfix 14xx was one of the first models to show that a higher standard was obtainable than the Hornby models of the time.

That's quite true, but as the comparative photos shown above of their respective smokebox doors, this was one of the most significant failings of the Airfix model.

Guest 7007GreatWestern

I was going to suggest that the only hidden agenda on RMWeb was thou shalt only use fulsome praise to describe anything associated with one particular very small manufacturer, but that one isn't exactly hidden.

I do find the suggestion that Hattons/DJM are the beneficiaries of some kind of censorship quite risible. Some people obviously have very short memories. I suggest you do a Google search of "DJM" and "vapourware". Barely a year ago Dave Jones was being vilified on modeller forums as some kind of suspect snake oil salesman and purveyor of promises he would never keep. I wonder how many of the individuals who rushed into print then have publicly retracted their comments since the release on the 02/J94/14xx? I don't recall you leaping to his defence in the name of balance and fairness then. But then, as the saying goes, "Those that can, do. Those that can't, criticise!"

I've never met Dave Jones and have no connection with him. I hope however he is enjoying one big, fat, metaphorical cigar at this very moment.

The 14xx may or may not be a great model. Time, the reviews and personal experience will tell. One thing is for sure, DJM & Hattons delivered something real, solid & tangible that is most certainly not vapour!

• Like 6

The first of mine arrived today, 5808 in GWR shirtbutton livery.  A little unexpected Christmas Pressie.

Really well packaged in a nice box.  The green looks a decent shade; the brake roads are already fitted; the numberplate is straight with no apparent gap or shadow.  There are a couple of nice little lamps in the the baggie.  Even the cab doors open.  The absence of an ashpan is not too apparent to me - I would not have immediately noticed if no-one had mentioned its absence.

The instructions state to oil before running, so I did.  A drop of Peco SuperLube in each of the two holes in the bottom; and also on the coupling rod pins.  I put it on the track fed by my 18-month old Bachmann controller and it spluttered forward very slowly.  And I mean very slowly - even on 3/4 power.  After about 6 feet I tried it backwards and it spluttered around 4 feet before stopping.  And that was it, dead as my Christmas Turkey.  No manner of persuasion could make it move again.  No whirring, or slipping, just completely dead.

Its back in the box and will be winging its way back to Hattons on Wednesday ... one Christmas surprise I was not expecting or wanting.

I hope this is the only lemon...

I do find the suggestion that Hattons/DJM are the beneficiaries of some kind of censorship quite risible.

I didn't say censorship and I don't believe I mentioned any particular manufacturer. But seeing as you did, the vitriol which spews from some of the rank and file on here whenever DJM is criticised, or even when somebody dares to ask where a promised update or feedback has got to (never mind actual model), is quite staggering. It is matched only by the speed with which the same members fall over themselves to assure everybody that whatever the currently available model is like, the promised proposed/delayed DJM one will be so much better when it appears.  

I've had to stop reading the DJM 71 thread, it was giving me diabetes.

• Like 1

Guest 7007GreatWestern

I didn't say censorship and I don't believe I mentioned any particular manufacturer. But seeing as you did....

No, you didn't say censorship. You said there is "a hidden agenda on RMWeb" (see your post #1040). Pray tell how that hidden agenda is orchestrated except by means of censorship, for that is your insinuation is it not? And while we're at it, who do you believe is driving this hidden agenda?

You say that you didn't name any particular manufacturer and indeed you didn't. But given that this thread is discussing the 14xx model manufactured by DJ Models whom shall we suppose you are referring to? Worsley Works? Frogmore Confederacy?

You can keep hiding behind your evasive language all you want but you're fooling no-one. 

You say that vitriol is "spewed" at "anyone (who) dares to ask where a promised update or feedback has got to". Oh really? My recollection is that Dave Mylett of Hattons has repeatedly answered requests for updates and clarification throughout this thread. He's done so with an unfailing courtesy and candour completely unequalled by the so called 'established' manufacturers. Would you like me quote the post numbers for you to jog your memory? Nah, thought not....... 

• RMweb Gold

It does seem to me that DJM threads do seem to attract a tiny minority that seem intent (and get a kick out of) provoking an argument. They then play the victim when people defend Dave.

I have been guilty of defending Dave in the past because I admire him and what he has done, he has put his house on the line to bring us new models. We are now seeing the fruits of risks he is taking. Some want to intentionally give Dave a kicking, others perhaps do it without fully thinking. Perhaps it would be good for posters to just take a moment to consider what they are posting before hitting the 'post' button