Hornby announce Maunsell S15

Andy Y

Handsome. Looks good on screen at O gauge size which says something, and gets the appearance very successfully. Now Hornby, there's a very similarly sized NER mixed traffic 4-6-0 just begging for the same treatment.

A query if I may. The factory ident.on the box sleeve? (Guessing at TEC05 as it has features in common with the K1.)

Looks a very impressive model.

Is that I slight hump in the running plate. I hope its just the motion hanger pushing things up a bit and easy to fix, unlike the K1...

Bring on an SR liveried, straight sided tender that I can renumber to 847 (or just 847 in Hornby's 2016 catalogue...?)!

Is that I slight hump in the running plate. I hope its just the motion hanger pushing things up a bit and easy to fix, unlike the K1...

Not that I could easily detect with the MK1 eyball. But a straight edge and feeler gauges gives 0.2mm upward curve.

• RMweb Gold

In the pics the black paintwork looks in a nice slight work-worn matt finish, so why oh why is the brass, and copper pipework in ex-works ???

Aren't they damned if they do, damned if they don't here....if they weathered it most on here would be going on about how bad that weathering is.

This forum has form when it comes to this subject....

• RMweb Gold

It's arrived. Looks to be all present and correct after it's trip up the M2. After a quick check over I must say I am mightily impressed. It a smooth runner straight out of the box although the twin flywheels don't seem to have any noticeable improvement over the older N15 but like the N15 it is still a great motor able to start eight Mk1's in a easily controlled, slow linear manner. Comes with a bag of cylinder drain cocks, front steps, brake rigging and steam heat pipes, vac pipes are pre-fitted. 

I'll let some pictures do the talking.

Img_2711_zpsncj02ea3.jpg

Img_2705_zpsld8ghlyo.jpg

Nice Cab

Img_2708_zps0osd69k7.jpg

It might, might not have the right amount of rivets I'm not counting them.

Img_2706_zpsjsk8hdzq.jpg

Tender has the usual removable coal load, although the uprights come away with it.

IMG_2709_zps1dbgfxch.jpg

Adjustable tender coupling with a screw.

IMG_2713_zpsjpq0jadf.jpg

Tender pick ups and looks like there is space for a big speaker if you need one.

IMG_2714_zpshq7vonol.jpg

IMG_2715_zps7wgbxqqs.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics bigherb. Mine's just been taken out of the box (just got in from work). I'm very impressed with it - apart from a loose smoke box door, still it does allow you to see one of the flywheels!

Well, it certainly does look superb, and I'm very tempted indeed!

From those who know about such things, how well would any of the current catalogue listed variants match the configurations of either of the two to have run on the NYMR? 841 would have to be done from the early crest version as supportive suggested earlier, into 'Southern' lettering, whereas 824 could feasibly be a renumber of the green version yet to be delivered. I'm not toos sure about tender combinations and such for accuracy, or for that matter other fittings, so if anyone can shed any light on such things, i'd be most grateful!

Cheers

J

• RMweb Premium

From those who know about such things, how well would any of the current catalogue listed variants match the configurations of either of the two to have run on the NYMR? 841 would have to be done from the early crest version as supportive suggested earlier, into 'Southern' lettering, whereas 824 could feasibly be a renumber of the green version yet to be delivered. I'm not toos sure about tender combinations and such for accuracy, or for that matter other fittings, so if anyone can shed any light on such things, i'd be most grateful!

Cheers

J

30823-32. Stepped bogie tender

30833-7 Six-wheeled tender

30838-47 Flat-sided bogie tender

Into the 60s, and in preservation, tenders were no doubt swapped around.

Edited by Downer

Cheers

J

Hornby's 30843, by the looks of the pictures above, has a small cover on the smokebox (that is plating over a previous valve???). 841, certainly in preservation, does not have this cover. One assumes that as smokeboes were replaced, the new smokeboxes did not have redundent holes.

Possibly might be correct for a renumber to 841 as in Southern service (but don't know for sure), but details seem incorrect for preservation...

Those 'small cover on the smokebox' covered where the snifting valves were removed in later SR days (and possibly in the BR era). As you suggest, 841 as it is today has most likely had its smokebox (or the latter's outer plating) plating replaced.

As for details being incorrect for the preserved version, I doubt whether the real 841 has a huge automatic coupler on each end either…...

Phil is right..... Is it beyond today modellers to tone it down with a diluted wash? I'll bet people would be quite talented if they learned to use a spoon.

True enough, but some times it can be a sod to take the boiler, and the below cab pipework off to paint all round it properly. Shouldn't the water feed pipe from injector to boiler be copper not brass?

True enough, but some times it can be a sod to take the boiler, and the below cab pipework off to paint all round it properly. Shouldn't the water feed pipe from injector to boiler be copper not brass?

The pipe itself was copper. It is less liable to snap in the bending bars when being shaped. This applies generally to larger diameter pipes. Polished pipes were a characteristic of Southern locos in particular, although they tarnished if not attended to. The valve casing must have been brass, although loco crews removed the black paint on shed. Such polished embellishments were a lot more common towards the end of a locos working life as it/they became celebrities. I have looked at pictures of Class 02's stationed on the Isle of Wight as shopped in the late 1950's and the brass and copper was painted black compared with the position later on. That said, some IOW 02's were clearly neglected by the very end (this was pretty obvious on a 'Railway roundabout' programme that covered the line over a period of a years or two).

A tip of dulling down bright pipes. Use acrylic paint diluted in water with a minor touch of Fairy Liquid and capillary action should draw the mix around the back of the pipe and pipework in awkward places.

Edited by coachmann

Thanks for the heads up re the snifter covers, which also appear (from the Hornby website photo) to be on the SR version, understandably if, as Olivegreen suggests, they were not removed until their later days. The tender on that version is wrong for 825 anyhow.

If it's just a case of the covers (and clouplings!) being wrong, I think that they are writing my scope for a simple(ish) conversion.

Cheers

J