Hornby announce Maunsell S15

Andy Y

That's a shame, I have good memories of 841 being restored at Chappel & Wakes Colne, I took some pics of here on one of her first main-line trips in preservation going thro' Bury St Edmunds - wish I could find them. Never mind perhaps one day 828 will be back in working order.

• RMweb Premium

It's a sad state of affairs IMHO to find that a previously complete and working loco has effectively been scrapped. Shame it couldn't have instead been sold to more sympathetic owners ( nearer to Southern territory would have been nice too!)

• RMweb Premium

AIUI among the preserved s15's one is missing a boiler as the boiler was bought as spare when still in Barry to help another with a knackered one, and another one had knackered frames, makes sense to combine the good with the bad to make a runner, instead of having two non runners. At some point a similar reality will prevail amongst the "no hope" merchant navies... One of which has a knackered boiler, another knackered cylinder and a 3rd with a missing crank axle.

In which case it would make perfect sense to gather together all the knackered bits and put them together into a purely cosmetic example to be stuffed and mounted somewhere. The downside of course is this wouldn't be cheap - and you would need somewhere suitable to 'mount' it (preferably under cover)

In which case it would make perfect sense to gather together all the knackered bits and put them together into a purely cosmetic example to be stuffed and mounted somewhere. The downside of course is this wouldn't be cheap - and you would need somewhere suitable to 'mount' it (preferably under cover)

That goes for a lot of "preserved" locos and stock which instead represent scrap yard alongside too much of the lengths of preserved lines. More needs to spent on the likes of Highley Engine House instead of restoring yet another Austerity or West Country.

That goes for a lot of "preserved" locos and stock which instead represent scrap yard alongside too much of the lengths of preserved lines. More needs to spent on the likes of Highley Engine House instead of restoring yet another Austerity or West Country.

Ultimately, loco owners restore or work on their own locos, regardless of how 'common' they are. 'Another' austerity or west country is somebody's pride and joy. Yes, some locos are in a sad state but sadly we're not all millionaires and it takes time to raise money for restoration.

Amazingly enough loco owning groups, where possible tend to pool resources especially when ordering expensive new components such as boilers. The IWR / K&ESR had this arrangement for two of their terriers a few years back.

You can also add that if it wasn't for the shortage of skilled, and active volunteers on heritage railways those 'represented scrap yards' would be a lot smaller,and less obvious, and there wouldn't be the problem of shortage of steam locos on some lines. Now who's for a 'pool' of half a dozen more, new build standard 4 2-6-4T's to hire out ??? :sungum:  

Edited by bike2steam

• 1 month later...

Had an Email from Hatton's and a release date for this loco of Monday 17th of August, have what and see if this do's come out on this date, as i have one on order myself.

Darren

Hornby's site is showing the 23rd August, same date as the Crosti 9F's... Could be interesting...

Hornby's site is showing the 23rd August, same date as the Crosti 9F's... Could be interesting...

Unfortunately the above date was changed yesterday to 23/09/15 for the Crosti and in the case of the S15 it just states August 15. Maybe if we are lucky we might get them both by Christmas !!!!! Lol  :scratchhead:

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Premium

. Now who's for a 'pool' of half a dozen more, new build standard 4 2-6-4T's to hire out ??? :sungum:  

I seem to remember a suggestion some years ago for a pool of "standard" boilers which could fit several "needy" classes.

Once the boiler was on the loco the cladding would hide the fact that it wasn't the same as an original.

The similarity between boilers on several GWR and later LMS classes I think was the origin of the idea.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I seem to remember a suggestion some years ago for a pool of "standard" boilers which could fit several "needy" classes.

Once the boiler was on the loco the cladding would hide the fact that it wasn't the same as an original.

The similarity between boilers on several GWR and later LMS classes I think was the origin of the idea.

Keith

Some BR Standards would also be likely beneficiaries of that strategy - the 5MT 4-6-0s were based on the Black 5 while the Standard 4 tanks were very similar to the Fairburns of the LMS, and the 4mT Moguls and 2MTs were almost pure Ivatt.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it ended up being cheaper to use her main parts on under restoration 825 at the time so 841 is now just sat somewhere in the under growth at Grosmont yard, along with 830 somewhere......

830 is slowly being restored next to the wheeldrop bulding. 841's frames are at the top end of the shed headshunt.

835's boiler incidentally was removed at Barry and is now on one of the Mid Hants examples, whose own boiler was presumably scrapped. The remains of 825 were then sold by Dai Woodham to Sail & Steam of Brightlingsea, which proposed to build a new boiler (and tender and complete set of valve gear and non-ferrous parts) for her. For obvious reasons this never happened and so they were sold on to the Essex Locomotive Society, which owns all three of the NYMR based S15s.

Edited by papagolfjuliet

• RMweb Gold

It's a sad state of affairs IMHO to find that a previously complete and working loco has effectively been scrapped. Shame it couldn't have instead been sold to more sympathetic owners ( nearer to Southern territory would have been nice too!)

It's worth pointing out that 'Stepney' needs new frames, which means that come her next overhaul she too will be effectively scrapped. Get used to this sort of thing, because it is going to happen more and more as the preserved steam fleet wears out. And why on Earth would anybody anywhere have wanted to buy 841 when her frames were shot? Marrying her usable parts with the frames of the otherwise doomed 825 was the best possible outcome, and it is a little unfair to call the ELS 'unsympathetic' to a locomotive which whatever identity it happens to carry has been in their care for four decades and is now undergoing its fourth overhaul. Many other owners, on SR territory or not, would have dumped 841 up a siding somewhere when her frames proved to be beyond economic repair, and she would be there still. The ELS put their hands in their pockets.

Edited by papagolfjuliet
  • Like 1

It's worth pointing out that 'Stepney' needs new frames, which means that come her next overhaul she too will be effectively scrapped. Get used to this sort of thing, because it is going to happen more and more as the preserved steam fleet wears out. And why on Earth would anybody anywhere have wanted to buy 841 when her frames were shot? Marrying her usable parts with the frames of the otherwise doomed 825 was the best possible outcome, and it is a little unfair to call the ELS 'unsympathetic' to a locomotive which whatever identity it happens to carry has been in their care for four decades and is now undergoing its fourth overhaul. Many other owners, on SR territory or not, would have dumped 841 up a siding somewhere when her frames proved to be beyond economic repair, and she would be there still. The ELS put their hands in their pockets.

I believe Bluebell have kept all the parts of Stepney. So after the next overhaul, there will be a non running original and a running replica.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This, hopefully, is the video of the S-15 running ;

https://youtu.be/pK7Ip-W1dOI

The backplate looks amazingly detail (and rather colourful !)  -  I can't wait.

What I would really like would be a "filthy" S-15, with just the numbers and crests "cleaned"  -  just how I remember them.

( P.S.  whilst it might not have been the loco of choice, I am sure that S-15s would have worked inter-regional freights around the north of London VERY occasionally. )

Edited by phil gollin
  • Like 2

It's a handsome brute isn't it. Sadly I can find no evidence of one ever bowling up in the Southernmost 20 miles of the ECML in the last half dozen years of steam. I shall just have to buy lots of J50s instead, to ensure Hornby get the message that Eastern engines are always the best idea. ;-)

Your only 'off-southern-region' experience, well BR operationally, of the S15's would have been either Exeter St Davids, Didcot, or Cricklewood - shame eh ?? :-)

Would see them regularly on the NLR at Acton Wells Junction, just before turning off onto the Dudding Hill line to Cricklewood, going over the GW main lines at Old Oak West Junction.

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This, hopefully, is the video of the S-15 running ;

https://youtu.be/pK7Ip-W1dOI

The backplate looks amazingly detail (and rather colourful !)  -  I can't wait.

What I would really like would be a "filthy" S-15, with just the numbers and crests "cleaned"  -  just how I remember them.

( P.S.  whilst it might not have been the loco of choice, I am sure that S-15s would have worked inter-regional freights around the north of London VERY occasionally. )

Just watched the video.

Looks like those horizontal handrail knobs are here to stay but, fortunately, on S15s they are almost horizontal anyway...............

John

Of course, if there should ever be a version in Bulleid's utility black with sunshine lettering then I may well succumb.

PB

I too will wait (possibly years, but maybe not) for a SR black with Sunshine lettering version to appear. Hint to Hornby? You have two sales here.

I am tired of stripping and repainting BR black versions.  I have two Kernow BR O2's to re-do as mainland Southern Black locomotives in the near future.

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This represents the depths to which I have sunk, in the past, to obtain a loco in my livery of choice:

attachicon.gif736 - Minipic.JPG

This, a Hornby King Arthur, started life in Mausell's lined olive green. Although OT ( again, Bedders old chap ? )  I include it to demonstrate how a plain black livery will suit a well-proportioned 4-6-0.

Good, innit?

PB

Shouldn't the cylinders be unlined ;)