Class 800 - Updates

Well, carrying on from comments on the GWR operations, from your arrival and waiting departure pics, this one at least was the correct way round

(that yellow band around the top marker light indicates the First class end)

Having done my two weeks classroom, simulator, and static am back on my own job this week before doing the train handling next week (with 5 per coarse this part needs splitting over two weeks).

Some more progress; I’ve now heard (though it’s not yet confirmed) that the sets will now have the Diesel engines updated in order to be able to work north of Edinburgh.

Also, in the latest issue of Operating Restrictions, they’re now restricted to diesel mode only between Darlington and the Scottish Border. Power change over now takes place in Darlington station and North of the Border

Edited by Ken.W
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Interesting to compare the theory with the practice.  According to Real Time Trains (which I know has some dubious offsets) it passed Heywood Road 1 minute early (which it should have done as there was a gash minute in the timings from Lavington).  it then basically maintained  1 minute early until Bruton/Castle Cary where it was 2.5 minutes early passing the latter,  So overall against net running times it had lost 0.5 of a minute between Heywood Road and Castle Cary as there was another 2 minutes gash time on the Wilts & Weymouth section.

3 minutes early passing Athelney and 4.25 minutes early at Cogload so overall it had once again dropped time on its net timings as there was 3.5 minutes gash in the vicinity of Athelney  which includes Pathing Allowance for the XC train.  So thus far fairly typical 'good' Class 80X performance in that it was not quite matching HST point-to-point timings for whatever reason.  overall it suggests to me that it had been driven reasonably hard but on the see-saw speed profile of the B&H and Wilts & Weymouth it lacked that mid/upper speed range acceleration of an HST.

The performance west of Exeter was not bad at all with it just about maintaining net running times to Plymouth.  I suspect from the RTT figures that it was probably an 802 as the performance on the banks was considerably better than any I have experienced with a Class 800 running on diesel.

IETs are normally driven as fast as possible on the B&H due to the DAS not working yet so we just keep them wide open.

The 1603 off PAD is booked a 10 car 802 from PAD to Plymouth with the front 5 going forward to Penzance.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

My Donny Leeds return today was on 800102. First Class as illustrated above. I shall write up my comments tomorrow as I'm off to look at some proper railways (on film) after tea, in Newark. For now I shall just say that my experience was mixed. I am not amazed but then I am not totally disappointed.

I thank you.

The Mighty Duck.

P

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Looking at those LNER interiors above, and on the All the Stations video, I reckon the interior decor is actually quite a bit better than I had expected from viewing from the outside. Maybe the tinted windows prevented me from getting a good impression. Even the first class, which does have a fair bit of understated colour in the seats and carpets.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The big question, which no one has yet answered fully, is how comfortable, or otherwise the upright seats, in both first and standard class really are.  That is the big question. Has anyone got an answer please? I suffer from lower back pain and don’t wish to be totally crippled by the seats.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Market65 said:

The big question, which no one has yet answered fully, is how comfortable, or otherwise the upright seats, in both first and standard class really are.  That is the big question. Has anyone got an answer please? I suffer from lower back pain and don’t wish to be totally crippled by the seats.

Best regards,

Rob.

The standard class seats look like they're the same as the GWR ones, which have been discussed at length...

As a mere peasant I can offer no insight into first class.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Market65 said:

Best regards,

Rob.

Rob, if you could, come down to Donny and take a trip to Leeds. It was £9 First Single with Railcard for me, lasted approximately 30 miniutes and you will soon see how the seats feel. Or go the other way, make sure you are in Coach L or M and then you will get a drink and food!!

Seats in First are adjustable recline wise but damn hard IMO.

PM me if you want any other info but it will be my opinion only of course and for, so far one trip.

Phil

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning.

My Retprt follows.

Set 800102. Full LNER Livery and spotlessly clean externally. Correct way round on arrival.

No particular order of comments.

Donny to Leeds. Coach K. Seat 02; facing front; end seat but not with 'blank window' thank goodness.

Seat booking signs easy to read and see above seats.

Early into Donny; left on the dot of 12.43 slow approach to Leeds after Wakefield and held outside for 3 minutes. 

Seat, (single) over motor bogie.

Good view out, OK leg room, overhead space OK. Décor pleasant and airy, bright feel to the whole coach.

Good announcements matching dot matrix sign.

Seat hard and uncomfortable after just a few minutes; deffo numb bum and not good for lower back issues.

Blind is not individual to each seat (understandable?) as it covers two seat positions on the airline single seat side. OK if your neighbour agrees about the blind position. Bulleid coaches had half blinds per window in Opens and Comps!!!!

Table covered in rubbish from previous passenger; cleared by Wakefield on general, whole coach clear up. Food drink had obviously stopped before Donny (Understandable really?) but passengers joining at Donny were not even offered a soft drink.

Acceleration from Donny impressive and then through Askern area; noise from traction motors similar to Tube stock on 'drive'.

Braking and or coasting noise varied between ancient Morris Minor gear box drone to weird whining sounds. Quite intrusive.

Ride was lively except on dead straight track; quite a bit of lateral lurch and some bounce, making walking in the gangway 'interesting' at times.

Leeds to Donny.

Train cleaned and ready (in First) after 15 minutes. Staff at doors very smart and professional in Customer communication (I chatted to two abut the train in general). Feeling of a fresh start and of pride in the job at the moment. Left dead on time. 

Coach L. Seat 40 facing front (only half window but not awful) about 2/3 into the coach so less intrusive traction noise). Moved to vacant set behind (not 39!!!).

Discovered the seat adjustment system (Back/Vertical adjustment). Seat still hard and unforgiving!

Lot of 'LNER Staff' in my coach, including 'Suits'!!!!! Also a lovely French Journo who was on a months Euro Interrail trip, experiencing new trains across the whole of Europe. Writing for 'Rail Passion'; possibly a French Railway Magazine of some sort?

Seat position a little less 'lively' in this position (so it seemed). Refreshments to seat just after Wakefield. The menu is actually quite impressive, including NGCI options e.g. Curry, if your going long distance. I took a can of Magners and two packs of Crisps (Gluten Free of course). Quick run back but held just north of Donny for a northbound HST on the Main going north.

Toilet at end of Coach L/M (accessible); the door would not work as the train was stopped on an elevated curve!! Staff had reported that problem. Something to do with sensors!

Overall impressions: Clean, smart, tidy but quite aircraft like in steerage class for comfort compared to HST First seating (LNER style)

Posterior still quite 'sore' this morning.

8/10 for this trip.

Any questions pleas fire away.

ATB

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

Sore bum on a brand new train on such a short return journey does not bode well for the future. (and wait for the first back injury legal claims !!!).

Modern trains - swish, air conditioned, BUT are designed to take all the old established pleasures of a train journey OUT.

Brit15

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Sore bum on a brand new train on such a short return journey does not bode well for the future. (and wait for the first back injury legal claims !!!).

Modern trains - swish, air conditioned, BUT are designed to take all the old established pleasures of a train journey OUT.

Brit15

I'm reserving judgement about longer journeys Brit, and I've not used the Standard sections yet, but  I have been more comfortable on a Package Holiday flight seat (no leg room style).

I suspect the day to day passenger will not even notice most of the things that I/we are talking about and as long as the thing is clean and on time and not full of Stag/Hen  Party groups and that Staff are visible and as they were yesterday then I think the railway should be proud. Whether LNER Staff really like what they have been given to use and work in will only become apparent in private conversations with staff I am sure. Passenger feed back will be ntersting on their website .

Oh, in case anyone is sitting there thinking what a posh bas###d I am for going on about First Cass..... my fare was £18 return using an old b######'s Rail pass.

So far I would say I prefer the older but sort of cosy HST experience.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Phil, you seem to have enjoyed your trip on the whole apart from the bum!  Your impression of the seats seems to accord with mine when I briefly sat in 802202 at Hull a few weeks ago.  We were told then that the seats in it were the 'default' offering and First Group's units might not necessarily have the same seats - we shall see.  I look forward to my first trip, which I expect will come quite soon.  Were there no commemorative 'freebies"?!

• Thanks 1

We travelled from Saraburi to Bangkok (about 60 miles) a few years ago third class, VERY hard & uncomfortable wooden seats, no aircon - just a couple of roof fans. All the windows were completely open. We were in the first coach behind the locomotive - a very "throaty" diesel hydraulic. An absolutely wonderful journey (for me at least). The sore bum was worth this particular trip, bringing back memories of a Cardiff to Bristol trip behind D1011 "Western Thunderer", head out of first window !! 

3rd-class-thonburi-to-nam-tok-train.jpg

Hua-Hin-to-Bangkok-Train-Stop.jpg?fit=56

Wife wants to go First Class these days - no fun !!

Brit15

• Funny 2

14 hours ago, brianusa said:

It would seem passenger comfort is not high on the specification list.  At least airlines provide some comforts in First Class!

Brian.

LOL, but not much in "cattle class" judging by a recent flight on an Airbus A321 with Thomas Cook. Numb-bum time.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 31A said:

Thank you Phil, you seem to have enjoyed your trip on the whole apart from the bum!  Your impression of the seats seems to accord with mine when I briefly sat in 802202 at Hull a few weeks ago.  We were told then that the seats in it were the 'default' offering and First Group's units might not necessarily have the same seats - we shall see.  I look forward to my first trip, which I expect will come quite soon.  Were there no commemorative 'freebies"?!

Second day so only some little flags in plant pots at Donny!!!!!

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

See https://www.railpassion.fr/

Has online previews of articles in the paper mag. Nice piccies even if you don't understand a word.

Thanks Chris. If you have the time to pop over to that site every so often you might catch the Azuma article. I shall have to get out my French Dictionary.

Phil

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I'm reserving judgement about longer journeys Brit, and I've not used the Standard sections yet, but  I have been more comfortable on a Package Holiday flight seat (no leg room style).

I suspect the day to day passenger will not even notice most of the things that I/we are talking about and as long as the thing is clean and on time and not full of Stag/Hen  Party groups and that Staff are visible and as they were yesterday then I think the railway should be proud. Whether LNER Staff really like what they have been given to use and work in will only become apparent in private conversations with staff I am sure. Passenger feed back will be ntersting on their website .

Oh, in case anyone is sitting there thinking what a posh bas###d I am for going on about First Cass..... my fare was £18 return using an old b######'s Rail pass.

So far I would say I prefer the older but sort of cosy HST experience.

P

I should have added: masses of spotters at Donny and a few at Leeds, some excited about Zoomers.

At Donny, between 11.45 and 12.43 I witnessed:

800112 Full Livery ECS off the Depot, straight through P3 going north and accelerating!

801106 ECS Sth ECS through P1. CBA to see the livery from P4.

800201ECS and weathered white, north into P8 then south off P8 for Peterborough after ten minutes.

I was informed that going north from/coming south to Darlo, all units are changing to Diesel at Darlo due to the funny business with the electrics..

There was one freight south 66783 through Donny P1.

Looks like the Footbridge to/from the works is on the way out as it is closed off both ends at the moment and looks decidedly tired.

P

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I did send an email to GW about the experience and it would appear several others have done similar reports,  whether this will lead to changes,  who knows.  I have a return trip booked for the bank holiday weekend for a concert at the Bertie and a visit to Railex. I suspect that the ride on a 16* will be the best bit.

• Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

See https://www.railpassion.fr/

Has online previews of articles in the paper mag. Nice piccies even if you don't understand a word.

Google will (with variable results) translate websites for you if you want.

I believe Chrome will prompt you, but if not or using a different web browser just go to

https://translate.google.com

Enter the web site address in the left box, and after it appears in the right box click on the little square with right-upwards arrow that appears at the end of the web site address and your web browser will open a new page that filters the site through Google Translate (though note it doesn't deal with text in images).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I just want to thank everyone who has described how the seats are. I think they sound pretty much how I expected them to be, but will try to bear them out on a ‘test trip’ from Doncaster to Leeds and return either later next week or the following week. I’m hoping the seats are a bit more comfortable than the dreaded Fainsa seats on class 144, 144012, the Pacer that was PRM’d. Those seats are truly terrible and absolutely ‘sit up and beg’ as the one time Gresley quad art and quint art ‘sit up and beg’ suburban articulated teak carriages that worked out of King’s Cross and Liverpool Street for the old LNER. 

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I did send an email to GW about the experience and it would appear several others have done similar reports,  whether this will lead to changes,  who knows.  I have a return trip booked for the bank holiday weekend for a concert at the Bertie and a visit to Railex. I suspect that the ride on a 16* will be the best bit.

You're definitely not the only one as a pal of mine recently did the same.  He also suggested that they really ought to sort things out and get the things properly orientated with the 1st Class at the London end on all sets.  The reply from GWR contained the ultimate in nonsense saying that it was a good idea to have all trains the same way round and they would look into it.  If I'd received that reply I would have sent them a copy of their own information leaflet about the trains, which of course shows 1st Class London end:)

I'm happy to support GWR and have a good opinion of ther n boos man, Mark Hopwood, who is really committed to serving passengers and trying to deliver what they want.  But the dept which deals with complaints (I think it is based in Plymouth so well remote from GWR HQ) appears to have been staffed by depriving various villages of their idiots and my pal's experience this time simply goes to confirm the sort of dimwitted nonsense I got from them a couple of years back.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2