Class 800 - Updates

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Simon Bendall said:

802110 working the up Night Riviera tonight after 57 failure at Long Rock. Ouch.

Ouch indeed.

I was about to say that at least it would be better than a (road) coach, but sadly I'm not sure it's true.

I find the 800 seats OK, but for an overnight journey? No!

On a coach you can have the lights off at night but it doesn't seem to be permitted on a train.

I hope they gave passengers the option of a hotel near Paddington for the night and a journey the next morning.

• Agree 3

17 hours ago, Simon Bendall said:

802110 working the up Night Riviera tonight after 57 failure at Long Rock. Ouch.

Perhaps a supply of cushions and pillows could be held at Paddington and Penzance, to be issued to passengers if (when ?) the situation recurs.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

For the second time in 12 days I am on the 1603 Padlington - Penzance. This seems to run RT until it gets into deep country, when it starts to leave the WTT behind. RT at Fairwood Junction becomes 4BT at Somerton. On 2nd May this led to being 8BT arriving at Taunton, albeit given a run at Cogload ahead of the XC. Today we were held briefly for that XC, but still 4BT passing Cogload. 

I think there had been discussions about relative performance against HSTs when on diesel power. Seems rather good to me. 

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

For the second time in 12 days I am on the 1603 Padlington - Penzance. This seems to run RT until it gets into deep country, when it starts to leave the WTT behind. RT at Fairwood Junction becomes 4BT at Somerton. On 2nd May this led to being 8BT arriving at Taunton, albeit given a run at Cogload ahead of the XC. Today we were held briefly for that XC, but still 4BT passing Cogload. 

I think there had been discussions about relative performance against HSTs when on diesel power. Seems rather good to me. 

Just to be clear, BT = before time rather than behind time then?

Interesting.

• RMweb Premium

Dear Readers,

Well I only have two days to go now before I sample the luxury (?) of First Class from Donny to Leeds and Return by 800 transportation. I have padded pants and painkillers as well as earplugs at the ready as recommended. Should I consider wearing a tie (not for comfort but to conform to the standard required in 1st)? I will be wearing other clothes, in case the vision of padded pants and tie only, offends.

Hopefully the good Servants of LNER will be up and running at Donny and I will blag a couple of free coffees and, perhaps, a jolly packet of Crisps with an apple as I need to avoid Gluten.

I suspect I shall travel on the same multiple unit on my return as it is due off only a short time after I arrive ; approximately 45 minutes I understand.

Should I conceal my spotters notebook in case that causes discomfort to other passengers?

Will it be necessary to publish a document describing my experiences?

Will the Servants think I am having a laugh when they see me, having only just arrived, returning to 36A (Donny) and trying to blag another free coffee? Will they even be serving before we reach Donny? Oh, such fun.

Yours faithfully,

A. Montyzuma.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I suspect you won't be the only one not spending long in Leeds that morning, Phil!  Will be interesting to hear how you get on.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Coryton said:

Ouch indeed.

I was about to say that at least it would be better than a (road) coach, but sadly I'm not sure it's true.

I find the 800 seats OK, but for an overnight journey? No!

On a coach you can have the lights off at night but it doesn't seem to be permitted on a train.

I hope they gave passengers the option of a hotel near Paddington for the night and a journey the next morning.

It was the UP which was IET vice 57 so the Hotel would have been needed at the Penzance end not the PAD end.

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Dear Readers,

Well I only have two days to go now before I sample the luxury (?) of First Class from Donny to Leeds and Return by 800 transportation. I have padded pants and painkillers as well as earplugs at the ready as recommended. Should I consider wearing a tie (not for comfort but to conform to the standard required in 1st)? I will be wearing other clothes, in case the vision of padded pants and tie only, offends.

Hopefully the good Servants of LNER will be up and running at Donny and I will blag a couple of free coffees and, perhaps, a jolly packet of Crisps with an apple as I need to avoid Gluten.

I suspect I shall travel on the same multiple unit on my return as it is due off only a short time after I arrive ; approximately 45 minutes I understand.

Should I conceal my spotters notebook in case that causes discomfort to other passengers?

Will the Servants think I am having a laugh when they see me, having only just arrived, returning to 36A (Donny) and trying to blag another free coffee? Will they even be serving before we reach Donny? Oh, such fun.

Yours faithfully,

A. Montyzuma.

If you are going from Doncaster to Leeds then don't expect anything other than tea/coffee and even then often with bad grace.  I nearly always go SB in steerage but they normally start serving after Wakefield.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 07/05/2019 at 07:54, Oldddudders said:

802 114 was sitting silently on the down through line at Totnes on Sunday afternoon, looking absolutely pristine, even below the solebar. There were track-circuit operating clips and red flags protecting it at both ends, and it had a tail-lamp at the Plymouth end, maybe both. It appeared that seats had reservation labels. A chap in an orange vest was on board, and a GWR driver, apparently unconnected with the train, was on the platform conversing casually  with him. 

I remain confused about the blanking-off of leading seating bays on driving vehicles, losing half a coach. Whatever the reason, 802 114 doesn’t qualify, as it had the leading coach fully fitted out with seats, it appeared. No doubt someone can explain. 

After being stabled overnight at Paddington it was realised it didnt have enough fuel to make it to Plymouth (and onto Laira), plus a shortage of other engine related fluids so the decision was taken to terminate at Totnes and then shunt it into the throught road to await rescue, not bad for a train which had only been in service for a few days.

The blanked off bit is the Kitchen area and is at the 1ST class end, the other driving coach is fully fitted with (Standard Class) seats.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Dear Readers,

Well I only have two days to go now before I sample the luxury (?) of First Class from Donny to Leeds and Return by 800 transportation. ....Oh, such fun.

Yours faithfully,

A. Montyzuma.

I’ll be loitering around Leeds, then catching the 800 to Doncaster tomorrow too.

I’ll keep an eye out for you.  With the description in your post you should be easy to find. :jester:

• Funny 2

9 hours ago, 4630 said:

I’ll be loitering around Leeds, then catching the 800 to Doncaster tomorrow too.

I’ll keep an eye out for you.  With the description in your post you should be easy to find. :jester:

Just shout out " Free Cider" he's bound to come running ! :jester:

• Informative/Useful 1

They're making a big deal of the LNER launch on the local TV news (BBC Look North Yorks), with reports both last night, including an interview with Tony Miles from Modern Railways mag, and also this morning, with footage of a train passing through a cloud of dry ice or something at KX I think.

There was an empty one in Leeds station when I passed through yesterday, and after peering through the windows from the platform, I'd recommend one addition to supplies for prospective travellers: rose-tinted spectacles, as the interior decor (in first class at least) looked a bit dull and boring. Let us know what you think about the interior colour scheme, or lack of.

Edited by eastwestdivide
first class - think 2nd is bright red
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

They're making a big deal of the LNER launch on the local TV news (BBC Look North Yorks), with reports both last night, including an interview with Tony Miles from Modern Railways mag, and also this morning, with footage of a train passing through a cloud of dry ice or something at KX I think.

There was an empty one in Leeds station when I passed through yesterday, and after peering through the windows from the platform, I'd recommend one addition to supplies for prospective travellers: rose-tinted spectacles, as the interior decor looked a bit dull and boring. Let us know what you think about the interior colour scheme, or lack of.

I've been peering through the windows of these things at 36E for what seems like years and it is only recently that they seem fully fitted out. Always smart on the outside but look like Ryanair on the inside; luxury it is not and I suspect the regular users will soon be telling LNER what they think of the damn things. Acceleration under trickery appears spectacular so G Suits could be required, however I have been on Tube Stock that seems quicker (Victoria Line maybe?)

RTT  gives no indication that I can pick out that services are for 800s. My train is advertised as an HST!

P

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I've been peering through the windows of these things at 36E for what seems like years and it is only recently that they seem fully fitted out. Always smart on the outside but look like Ryanair on the inside; luxury it is not and I suspect the regular users will soon be telling LNER what they think of the damn things. Acceleration under trickery appears spectacular so G Suits could be required, however I have been on Tube Stock that seems quicker (Victoria Line maybe?)

RTT  gives no indication that I can pick out that services are for 800s. My train is advertised as an HST!

P

It'll be interesting to hear what turns up!

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

It'll be interesting to hear what turns up!

Don't mind if it is an HST, however I did pay huge amounts of dosh (about £14) to do the return trip in First and the seat booking was for a Zoomer. About 45 minutes on Leeds Station is enough as well and I'm glad it isn't today as their footy team are playing Derby in the Playoffs.

P

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

My train is advertised as an HST!

P

That's the "timing load" rather than the intended stock. All of GWRs "High Speed" network is still shown as "HST" despite there only being 3 set left in traffic and the grand finale only days away. Whether we'll see IET (or similar) used when the December timetable starts remains to be seen - as indeed is the outcome of the application by GWR to NR to run the new timetable. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Dear Readers,

Yours faithfully,

A. Montyzuma.

A tie and a pair of padded cycle shorts should be very distinctive!

I see the first revenue earning set was 3 1/2 late into Peterborough, 2 late leaving today having left KGX 45 seconds early. Booked on RTT as an HST despite its bretheren being booked as 225 when doing the route learning runs.

• Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

I see the first revenue earning set was 3 1/2 late into Peterborough, 2 late leaving today having left KGX 45 seconds early. Booked on RTT as an HST despite its bretheren being booked as 225 when doing the route learning runs.

Back on time by Doncaster, but then held up by a late running Northern EMU at Wakefield by the look of it 

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y70147/2019/05/15/advanced

Edit: and finally 2 late into Leeds, after being 6 late just before Wakefield behind that EMU, helped back by the generous station time at Wakefield.

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Back on time by Doncaster, but then held up by a late running Northern EMU at Wakefield by the look of it 

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y70147/2019/05/15/advanced

Which in itself had been delayed from South Kirkby Jn. by the late running 1S41 0725 Plymouth-Edinburgh.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/SKIRBYJ/2019/05/15/1237

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Interesting to compare the theory with the practice.  According to Real Time Trains (which I know has some dubious offsets) it passed Heywood Road 1 minute early (which it should have done as there was a gash minute in the timings from Lavington).  it then basically maintained  1 minute early until Bruton/Castle Cary where it was 2.5 minutes early passing the latter,  So overall against net running times it had lost 0.5 of a minute between Heywood Road and Castle Cary as there was another 2 minutes gash time on the Wilts & Weymouth section.

3 minutes early passing Athelney and 4.25 minutes early at Cogload so overall it had once again dropped time on its net timings as there was 3.5 minutes gash in the vicinity of Athelney  which includes Pathing Allowance for the XC train.  So thus far fairly typical 'good' Class 80X performance in that it was not quite matching HST point-to-point timings for whatever reason.  overall it suggests to me that it had been driven reasonably hard but on the see-saw speed profile of the B&H and Wilts & Weymouth it lacked that mid/upper speed range acceleration of an HST.

The performance west of Exeter was not bad at all with it just about maintaining net running times to Plymouth.  I suspect from the RTT figures that it was probably an 802 as the performance on the banks was considerably better than any I have experienced with a Class 800 running on diesel.

• Informative/Useful 3

21 minutes ago, 31A said:

Which in itself had been delayed from South Kirkby Jn. by the late running 1S41 0725 Plymouth-Edinburgh.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/SKIRBYJ/2019/05/15/1237

...which, as far as I can tell,  picked up most its delay between Chesterfield and Sheffield... behind a late running Nottingham-Leeds...  which was delayed by a late running St Pancras-Sheff, which picked up its delay between Kettering and Leicester, for no reason that I can see from realtimetrains. 

Good illustration of the susceptibility of the busy railway to knock-on effects of delays miles off-route.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

...which, as far as I can tell,  picked up most its delay between Chesterfield and Sheffield... behind a late running Nottingham-Leeds...  which was delayed by a late running St Pancras-Sheff, which picked up its delay between Kettering and Leicester, for no reason that I can see from realtimetrains. 

Good illustration of the susceptibility of the busy railway to knock-on effects of delays miles off-route.

Probably some sort of bird incursion such as a Swan wandering about or possibly geese.

G. Raylag.

• RMweb Gold

A few photos from Leeds showing todays LNER launch of Class 800 Azuma into public service (1D11 11.03 London Kings Cross to Leeds and return 1A33 13.45 Leeds to London Kings Cross).

Music had been laid on.

1265220132_1-AzumamusiciansLeeds15052019-RMweb.jpg.135df8c1da0fd0aa225fdf599b24bf76.jpg

I thought they were pretty good, but probably not to everyones taste.

800113 arrives into platform 6...

1029410777_2-8001131D11Leeds15052019-RMweb.jpg.8c2713ff88ee0d6384c2a6fc0951adbb.jpg

Interesting comparison of front ends - 2019 meets the late 1980s.

2091635553_3-8001131D11Leeds15052019-RMweb.jpg.cfde1ee83ee1f41bc7c010b3c596a6a5.jpg

2081801831_4-8001131D11Leeds15052019-RMweb.jpg.5b8303a846956548010ed7809d7cbdea.jpg

After the usual just under 30 minute turnaround at Leeds for LNER terminating services, 800113 is ready to depart. 

934241754_5-8001131A33Leeds15052019-RMweb.jpg.c5bacacf7a906657a84064508bb8c80b.jpg

1066814065_6-8001131A33Leeds15052019-RMweb.jpg.ce229532da28b6e2a950553628553eff.jpg

I took a trip to Doncaster in Standard class

1885436415_7-Standardclassin8001131A33Leeds15052019-RMweb.jpg.6931921f0d499dc67d296ada390d1980.jpg

This was on offer for passengers travelling first class.

33394965_8-Firstclassin8001131A33Leeds15052019-RMweb.jpg.80b6fea463d96b270622edbb754de19a.jpg

My first impressions of the LNER 800s are generally favourable and in my judgement it's a marginally better interior than the GWR equivalent that I rode in when they were launched.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4