Class 800 - Updates

• RMweb Gold

Out for testing/mileage accumulation, brand new 802203 passes through a damp and murky Deighton on 12th June 2019 with 5Q54, 06.15 Heaton T&RSMD to Liverpool Lime Street.

1581261861_8022035Q54Deighton120620191-RMweb.jpg.2843e7f68c4165f9f2320703aeb3e043.jpg

563313495_8022035Q54Deighton120620192-RMweb.jpg.c143f986e84b6337f9924e9e17ad241a.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Richard E said:

That ex EMT HST set used to crop up on York KGX turns now and again in the past as well I believe.

Yes, it would turn up anywhere from time to time when set swaps were were necessary for some reason, I've even seen it on Highland services.

It was however supposed to be kept to it's booked short Hull / Leeds diagrams, as the interior's showing it's age and the non-standard layout plays havoc with the reservations when it ends up on the wrong diagram.

It was also supposed to be the first set taken out of service for the same reasons, hence the Hull being the first Azuma  service. From what I've seen tho, it's still going and meanwhile, there's a Mk4 set with no loco attached laid up in Ferme Park, apparently 'out of service'.

4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Must be the one I saw on the stops at KX a couple of weeks ago.

If it's the same one we're taking about, it's the one transferred to East Coast some time ago, but after the last full refurb so didn't get done. It is though, in Virgin/LNER livery and normally has LNER P/cars, but still has the revised BR interior, just with Virgin seat covers.

Not to be confused with current EMT sets / P/cars that are occasionally in on short-term hire only.

59 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

saw 2 IETs coupled together heading north through Peterborough but didn't catch numbers this morning

also saw a 67 dragging a 91 north again didnt catch numbers

At least that makes more sense heading towards Doncaster than when I spotted 91119 being hauled away from there. At least with that one I didn't need to spot the number!

ps In the pic above with 91119, the cap's my own personal issue, and was worn on 91s when they were new into service. (it was in my bag, 'just in case', and was only worn when on the loco).

The train's 3Y14, 04:30 Htn - NCL - Berwick, then 1Y14 06:00 BWK - KGX (just as far as NCL, then a trip to Edinburgh, for me)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ess1uk said:

saw 2 IETs coupled together heading north through Peterborough but didn't catch numbers this morning

also saw a 67 dragging a 91 north again didnt catch numbers

5Q83 Peterboro 1210 - 1229

800106 hauling 801111 from Eastleigh to Doncaster

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/06/2019 at 10:59, 4630 said:

Out for testing/mileage accumulation, brand new 802203 passes through a damp and murky Deighton on 12th June 2019 with 5Q54, 06.15 Heaton T&RSMD to Liverpool Lime Street.

1581261861_8022035Q54Deighton120620191-RMweb.jpg.2843e7f68c4165f9f2320703aeb3e043.jpg

563313495_8022035Q54Deighton120620192-RMweb.jpg.c143f986e84b6337f9924e9e17ad241a.jpg

On 12/06/2019 at 11:40, Oldddudders said:

No yellow panel. So much smarter.

It does look at lot smarter with out the yellow end to me too. I’ll be glad when it fully liveried up though it’ll look so much better. Overall Battleship grey is not the most inspiring colour scheme ever. 

• Agree 1

On 11/06/2019 at 23:49, rodent279 said:

LNER red & white does seem to suit them. Is it me, or are they slightly reminiscent, from the sides, of the Blue Pullman's in reverse blue & grey?

Yeah, it does look a smart livery on them, by modern standards at least, but those initials on red just looks so wrong

Surely an “LNER” Streamlined train should be blue? 

• Like 1

That “odd one out” ex-EMT HST set discussed earlier is still running, saw it again the other day

There is now however, from the latest I’ve heard, four Mk.4 sets out of service.

That ‘one’ I mentioned laid up in Ferme Park, apparently, isn’t always the same one!

Edit; yes, that ex EMT set is still around, it was here a Heaton tonight

Edited by Ken.W
  • Informative/Useful 3

Hitachi have finally managed to put an 802 into service with all 3 usual faults all at the same time, running in diesel only mode, cant be put into 'turnaround' mode due to a software issue and no power in the kitchen, brilliant unit and only been in service for about 6 months, bodes well for the future.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 12/06/2019 at 02:25, Ken.W said:

As a piece of string?

Seriously though, the coarse itself is 3 weeks, however...

this is week 7, and I'm still not finished!

So here we are now in week 7, with the next coarse now doing their handling as well. I do get one day on them this week,  on Saturday, but on a six hour diagram that's not going to get much more in...

Then if I don't finish in the next two weeks, it'll not be until August

So, how’s the training going?

Well, had that day on one on Saturday, and got an hour handling in, yes that’s right, one hour!

Not on them again this week, so that makes 8 weeks and still just 12 hours in out of required 20.

That leaves 4 possible days next week, before I’m off till August

And there’s already been some courses in the autumn Cancelled because of the backlog

Meanwhile, what’s those TPE sets doing going to Peterborough, besides stopping us getting the time in?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Ken.W said:

Yeah, it does look a smart livery on them, by modern standards at least, but those initials on red just looks so wrong

Surely an “LNER” Streamlined train should be blue? 

Perhaps, though they also used silver.

Essentially the old LNER corporate image dates from the 1930s (discounting the war years), so nearly 90 years ago. If they hadn't ceased to exist in 1948, who knows what colour schemes they might have gone through since then.

It would look smart with the same scheme using a selection of blues, though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Off from Newark to the X today and return on same train(with luck!) 11.56 departure (will be the Lincoln service sometime soon)

First going so that I can sample the victuals and Standard return so that I can live the life of the usual traveller. 14.41 off the X arrives 15.34

Parking in Northgate Shopping for £3.00. Makes a nice little trip out for an old fart : total fare £28 just over.

P

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Off from Newark to the X today and return on same train(with luck!) 11.56 departure (will be the Lincoln service sometime soon)

First going so that I can sample the victuals and Standard return so that I can live the life of the usual traveller. 14.41 off the X arrives 15.34

Parking in Northgate Shopping for £3.00. Makes a nice little trip out for an old fart : total fare £28 just over.

P

Well that was underwhelming if fun and not too noisy or wobbly. No decent fodder in First Class Coach K (Composite funnily enough), crisps and fruit and a can of Magners, but Staff were pleasant enough and I could have had more booze. it was clean and tidy (and I had a good seat single facing front) despite only a 20 minute turn around at Newark; well loaded too, even in First. Unit No 800104.

3 early into Grantham & 6 minutes early into Peterborough and it had only been coasting. Then after Stevenage things went TU due to signalling problems, so it was slow line for ages and then rather a trundle as far as Gas Works T. Only ten late into the X though.

This train did not return to Newark as I expected; it became the 14.03 to Leeds.

My return in Standard was on a fresh Unit, 800102, but the seat I had booked had no window, as do about a 1/6 of the seats in Coach H. I moved to one of very many non reserved ones in that coach. Much nicer thanks and no one came and sat by me, not because I smell as far as I know, but because there was plenty of room for all.

This down service is just a fast local and I can see similar workings being used by commuters (16.06 for example, but that ain't a Zoomer yet I don't think?). These services will be extending to and from Lincoln in the future.

Standard seats, nice LNER Red) actually seemed better than the First but again the seats really are not comfy for more than half an hour and don't recline or have head cushions as in First. My bum is still numb and I was back in Newark at 15.40 (a tad late due to a full stop at Finsbury Park, but then a fast run all the rest of the way). I was surprised how many folk got off to change at Grantham for Nottingham. Quicker and cheaper than Midland?

OK half a day out I suppose but I am sorry, I still prefer the HSTs. 

One thing is obvious, these units are only trundling along in 3rd gear on the ECML at the moment and if all is well they are seemingly easily ahead of schedule so I'd like to see what they really could do. The racing stretches north of Donny and York are going to be fun I suspect.

Jolly dee and al that.

I might see if I can cadge a lift on the first Retford York Azuma if I can sort out the date.

Phil

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

An interesting report, Phil.  Shame about the grub, and (lack of) window!  No diagrams for workings to York published yet as far as I can see, but no doubt in due course we'll be able to arrange a meeting.

• Informative/Useful 1

After a few trips 2hr trips on Azuma, the combination of motor bogies and hard seats is the killer blow. Either 1st or steerage in the trailer cars (particularly the rear one) a 2hr trip journey isn't to bad if you get up a couple of times to stretch. Unfortunately I won't be getting 90+ min sleep on these as I can on HSTs and Mk4s.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, 31A said:

An interesting report, Phil.  Shame about the grub, and (lack of) window!  No diagrams for workings to York published yet as far as I can see, but no doubt in due course we'll be able to arrange a meeting.

LNER site has the Azuma roll out programme and includes York. However I have already booked the whole of the first Kings Cross to York service for a RMWeb consultation team. Carefully chosen group with varying degrees of posterior design and also a full range of tolerance of traction noise, vibration, weird HST exhaust sound when working on full power electric, toilets designed for the slim, blinds that the person in front or behind  does not want in the same position as your self and G force on acceleration and deceleration (similar to that required for Fast Jet Pilots),  Participants have already paid their deposits (non refundable) and will have to sit where they are told. Only on board refreshment will be permitted.

Then and only then will we have the true results of the Zoomer ECML service as far as the end of the GN. 

Following this I have been employed by the management to compare the resulting reports from participants with that of the normal travellers that have to use the things day in and day out and the latter, my friends, from almost all reports I am reading, is not a fun read (so far). However there was one lady locally (to Doncaster and area) that had loved the whole experience ona Leeds service to the X in First and had partaken of much food and wine. Perhaps it was the latter that enabled her to imagine she had had a wonderful time? 

I am so excited already, but my nose is feeling rather strange.

Oh yes, 80111 was in service yesterday at the X. I also rediscovered today that if booking direct with LNER rather than some other site, the seat booking arrangements can be amended to your choice and the diagrams are there to show you what's what. What I need to do is identify the crap seats in a whole Unit and publish them (unless someone on here can already do that?)

Yo

Phil

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Bomag said:

After a few trips 2hr trips on Azuma, the combination of motor bogies and hard seats is the killer blow. Either 1st or steerage in the trailer cars (particularly the rear one) a 2hr trip journey isn't to bad if you get up a couple of times to stretch. Unfortunately I won't be getting 90+ min sleep on these as I can on HSTs and Mk4s.

Interesting that as I have generally found that the ride is poorer in the end cars than it is in the adjacent motored car.  (But 802s seem to be an exception to that with no ride difference between the two.)

• RMweb Premium

Did a quick return to York from 36E yesterday. Both HSTs, both a bit roly poly and bumpy in Coach B both ways......however, no numb bum. The train was still smart, clean, bright, not so airy on a very warm day but a little bit of a comfort blanket.

My next 800 run will probably not be until August 1st when I will do exactly that trip and I shall report on that at that time.

P

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Both HSTs, both a bit roly poly and bumpy

That's been my experience with ECML HSTs over the last couple of years too. Apparently the maintenance regime changed - some damper (?) parts replaced with inferior ones. I nearly ended up with damper parts when my tea spilled.

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

That's been my experience with ECML HSTs over the last couple of years too. Apparently the maintenance regime changed - some damper (?) parts replaced with inferior ones. I nearly ended up with damper parts when my tea spilled.

Almost impossible to avoid damper parts with the 800's sinks in the bogs, unless you are careful or a person of limited stature and can see what you are doing. I stuck my hands under the water sign and a great whoosh appeared, designed to swirl around the bowl and over the front onto your trouser front. HST sink bowls are more forgiving and CK will be pleased to hear that they smell lovely as they have a little hairysoll think in them.

Totally off topic, there ae hundreds of Diesel Gricers at the West Somerset today.....don't go there.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On my trip out at the weekend from Weston to Yatton I made the basic error of boarding the wrong 5 set of a 2 x 5 set formation,

it being my first local trip carried out on one of the new trains. The doors remained locked in my set at each local station, and I found myself overcarried through to Bristol. There had been no broadcast at Weston station to that effect, I must admit to not looking at the information screens.

No problem, there was a return stopping service from Bristol back to Yatton 15 minutes later, also formed of 2 x 5 sets, so I caught that.

Interestingly the platform information screens made no mention of the need to join the 'correct' set for intermediate stations, and there was no broadcast either, so I asked the traincrew. I was told that normally the 'front' 5 set in each direction is platformed at intermediate stations. I observed that the information screens over the entrance doors of both sets were advertising the same details (ie 09.00 to W-s-M, and all calling points) even though the rear 5 set would not be platformed at any intermediate station!

I mentioned this to the guard, and fair play to him he did broadcast the need for people to move to the front 5 set before departure from Bristol. I suspect I was not the first person to get this wrong, and with that (lack of) information will not be the last either!

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
added info
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 14:39, Rivercider said:

On my trip out at the weekend from Weston to Yatton I made the basic error of boarding the wrong 5 set of a 2 x 5 set formation,

it being my first local trip carried out on one of the new trains. The doors remained locked in my set at each local station, and I found myself overcarried through to Bristol. There had been no broadcast at Weston station to that effect, I must admit to not looking at the information screens.

No problem, there was a return stopping service from Bristol back to Yatton 15 minutes later, also formed of 2 x 5 sets, so I caught that.

Interestingly the platform information screens made no mention of the need to join the 'correct' set for intermediate stations, and there was no broadcast either, so I asked the traincrew. I was told that normally the 'front' 5 set in each direction is platformed at intermediate stations. I observed that the information screens over the entrance doors of both sets were advertising the same details (ie 09.00 to W-s-M, and all calling points) even though the rear 5 set would not be platformed at any intermediate station!

I mentioned this to the guard, and fair play to him he did broadcast the need for people to move to the front 5 set before departure from Bristol. I suspect I was not the first person to get this wrong, and with that (lack of) information will not be the last either!

cheers

Announcement prior to departure should have been made and maybe at the next large station (is there one before Yatton anyway?) Could have caused a use of the emergency handle by someone less confident than you. That would have been fun.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Whenever I've been travelling to Yatton from the London direction, there's always been an announcement by the TM just before arrival at BTM to get to the front 4 coaches (HST) or front set (2x 5-car 80x). Especially useful if the IETs are formed the wrong way round and your seat reservations (carefully chosen to be in coach B or C) are at the rear of the train...

Edited by talisman56
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2