RMweb

• RMweb Gold

Given that Norman was photographing at Sheep Lane in the late 50's and/or early 60's, judging by the emblems on the loco, it would seem very prophetic that someone would dub Driver Percy Lucan with the moniker 'Lord', given that Lord Lucan himself did not become infamous until 1974...

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Given that Norman was photographing at Sheep Lane in the late 50's and/or early 60's, judging by the emblems on the loco, it would seem very prophetic that someone would dub Driver Percy Lucan with the moniker 'Lord', given that Lord Lucan himself did not become infamous until 1974...

Aaah but this gent was named after the infamous Lucan's father, also Lord Lucan who gained a certain notoriety in the area for his liking of window shopping. Seen by many a shop assistant spending ages examining the displays. They would ask their manager "Should I go out and ask 'im if 'e wants any 'elp? This was always met with the response "Don't bother, e's just Lucan.."

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Aaah but this gent was named after the infamous Lucan's father, also Lord Lucan who gained a certain notoriety in the area for his liking of window shopping. Seen by many a shop assistant spending ages examining the displays. They would ask their manager "Should I go out and ask 'im if 'e wants any 'elp? This was always met with the response "Don't bother, e's just Lucan.."

Partially correct, Penfold me old digestive. Percy aquired the nickname during his time in the Coldstream Guards, 1st Battalion of the regiment from 1940 to 1942 during the Second World War. During this time it was commanded by the infamous Lord Lucans father, George Bingham, 6th Earl of Lucan.Percy was a corporal during this period and received the Military Cross for evading capture by the enemy whilst in possession of Lord Lucans entire supply of single malt which he subsequently returned to Colonel Bingham unscathed.

Rob.

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Partially correct, Penfold me old digestive. Percy aquired the nickname during his time in the Coldstream Guards, 1st Battalion of the regiment from 1940 to 1942 during the Second World War. During this time it was commanded by the infamous Lord Lucans father, George Bingham, 6th Earl of Lucan.Percy was a corporal during this period and received the Military Cross for evading capture by the enemy whilst in possession of Lord Lucans entire supply of single malt which he subsequently returned to Colonel Bingham unscathed.

Disappointing.

I thought you were going to say that the person concerned had crystal balls.

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

his old friend 47266 worrying the wagons from the early morning goods from Evercreech Junction.

Interesting, because 47266 was also being used (along with various other engines) to test a new set of points on the site of what might become Capel Dinas this afternoon, a little-known outpost of the GWR in mid-Wales, and now goods only.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, because 47266 was also being used (along with various other engines) to test a new set of points on the site of what might become Capel Dinas this afternoon, a little-known outpost of the GWR in mid-Wales, and now goods only.

Breaking wind (trump to all you janners) news; CK has used a Duff. May God have mercy on his soul.

post-2326-0-22466000-1479039106.jpg

I'm never going to speak to him again.

D. E. Brush

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Breaking wind (trump to all you janners) news; CK has used a Duff. May God have mercy on his soul.

attachicon.gif24973260223_b8a5d73027.jpg

I'm never going to speak to him again.

D. E. Brush

The worrying thing about that picture is that, unless 47266 happens to survive somewhere, everything in the picture has gone - including the (non-railway office block in the background).

• RMweb Premium

The worrying thing about that picture is that, unless 47266 happens to survive somewhere, everything in the picture has gone - including the (non-railway office block in the background).

47266 is now 47828 and I believe is preserved somewhere .

• RMweb Gold

In an experimental mood this afternoon. The normal method of providing sparks on Sheep Lane is a Gaugemaster combi. It is fine but......

I have noticed that some Bachmann locos 'surge'slightly when running, a bit 'hunty'...ish and not quite the ticket.

I have, for example, all but given up on my three Jinties. They are either noisy and stagger about the place like Oliver Reed at a village fete or simply fart and hop their way about the place. I have even tried my more recent S&DJR example which is DCC ready and though better that is still noisy when running. I am all but resigned to a replacement chassis program. Their running is simply not good enough.

The 3F and 4F are better but not qiite as I would like. All have been run in.

I remembered today that I had a Minitrol dual controller with braking and feedback so have plumbed this in. It does seem to have improved the running of the 3F and the 4F somewhat so I am thinking of buying a Gauge master Walkabout thingy with feed back. Now I have heard of feed back causing issues with coreless motors ( don't have any) and more modern dcc ready types but I only shunt about on Sheep Lane.

I am even thinking of switching to DCC as I have a Bachmann basic DCC controller.....but Sheep Lane is all about simplicity.......and DCC is bordering on rocket science.

I would welcome any thoughts on the subject that you may have.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Jim Read of this parish has made his own DC controller which ( he claims but I have no reason to doubt) gives excellent start and low speed control.

He will provide a 6 page .pdf on how to make one, in return for a polite request.

I use Gaugemaster walkabouts and like them a lot ( but will also be building one of Jim's for comparison.).

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

In an experimental mood this afternoon. The normal method of providing sparks on Sheep Lane is a Gaugemaster combi. It is fine but......

I have noticed that some Bachmann locos 'surge'slightly when running, a bit 'hunty'...ish and not quite the ticket.

I have, for example, all but given up on my three Jinties. They are either noisy and stagger about the place like Oliver Reed at a village fete or simply fart and hop their way about the place. I have even tried my more recent S&DJR example which is DCC ready and though better that is still noisy when running. I am all but resigned to a replacement chassis program. Their running is simply not good enough.

The 3F and 4F are better but not qiite as I would like. All have been run in.

I remembered today that I had a Minitrol dual controller with braking and feedback so have plumbed this in. It does seem to have improved the running of the 3F and the 4F somewhat so I am thinking of buying a Gauge master Walkabout thingy with feed back. Now I have heard of feed back causing issues with coreless motors ( don't have any) and more modern dcc ready types but I only shunt about on Sheep Lane.

I am even thinking of switching to DCC as I have a Bachmann basic DCC controller.....but Sheep Lane is all about simplicity.......and DCC is bordering on rocket science.

Rob.

You mean it's as simple as filling a tube with flammable liquid and setting fire to it?  :jester:

I wonder if the simplicity of Sheep Lane makes it an ideal layout to experiment with DCC?

• Like 2

Rob.

Do it ! You'll only need two wires, what could be simpler ?  :jester:

Alec Trician

• RMweb Gold

Do it ! You'll only need two wires, what could be simpler ?  :jester:

Alec Trician

It's only got two wires now..........

Rob

When remote train control became the thing, I was convinced it was the future and for a lot it has .  I tried it on my O tinplate layout and decided that it was a good idea but not for me.  It took away the 'toy train' concept where you moved a lever and the train either went forwards or backwards.  So I went back to the old fashioned way as a lot of my trains didn't have the bells and whistles currently fashionable, to my old controller which has enough buttons to operate basic commands.  Such as bells and whistles for those so fitted!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Probably the biggest weakness of so many Bachmann steam locos is, in my firm view, the poor running qualities, even after one has attempted to run them in. I've been fortunate in some of my locos, but less so with others. It got to the point with my 82044 that I ended up building a new (etched) chassis for it.

A replacement chassis may seem a bit drastic, but if you want silky smooth slow running for shunting, especially in a relatively small space, you can do a lot worse than a Comet or Perseverance chassis, together with a good Mashima motor, a decent gear box (High Level or DJH, for example) and a flywheel, if you can fit one in.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There's plenty of help out there if ya need it..... Apparently! :)

https://youtu.be/o7BZRl_8MvA"]https://youtu.be/o7BZRl_8MvA

Yes, I must recommend barrty's lectrickery as being the bestest learnin tube thing wot I 'av seen and I have hemployded all his methsods on my layoff rail layoput bits.

I give it foive.

D.O.Little