RMweb

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, TrainMan2001 said:

Merry Christmas Rob! It has been nice to follow your modelling for the last couple of years, and you remain one of my biggest inspirations! I look forward to seeing what you do with Ewe in the New Year!

Most kind of ewe to say so, TM. I'm hopefully going to make some progress after Christmas. 

Rest assured, updates will follow....

Rob. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

should also be able to remove and replace the flywheels

I don't think a man with your skills will have any problems whatsoever ! 

senior-blacksmith-forging-molten-metal-anvil-smithy-78566129.jpg.da49270931e454900a4226c72de7621a.jpg

• Funny 14

• RMweb Gold

To be honest, it's at least 30yrs since I had wool like that gentleman.  Too late to do anything now that I can finally grow my hair longer than collar length ( not now being constrained by regs). 

Today's trip to the trainshop to sort out the motor didn't comd off. Too busy with other more important family stuff. 

May try again tomorrow but not looking good. More likely after Crimbo now. Not a drama. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Not having a Room of Doom, just a Garage of Cold, progress on both Trelothen  and Project Castell has somewhat stalled.

Small increments of work are being done at the modelling table, mainly making and/or adaptation of SMS kits.

Enjoy your newly discovered time off, it won't last...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

First off then will be a few tweaks to the wiring. Nothing ground breaking. A few additional power feeds and a couple of isolating fish plates to be inserted. 

Rob,

I’d assumed you’d got the layout fully functioning on D.C. (if not, disregard following).

With my Shelfie’s they are all initially configured for D.C. operation, plugging in DCC, or designing for it I’d expect less wiring on a ‘simple’ layout. If you’re putting in more wiring or isolation sections for DCC, just take an artist’s step back from the work, and take a fresh look in case that general principle isn’t extant, and ask why.

Edited by PMP
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, PMP said:

Rob,

I’d assumed you’d got the layout fully functioning on D.C. (if not, disregard following).

With my Shelfie’s they are all initially configured for D.C. operation, plugging in DCC, or designing for it I’d expect less wiring on a ‘simple’ layout. If you’re putting in more wiring or isolation sections for DCC, just take an artist’s step back from the work, and take a fresh look in case that general principle isn’t extant, and ask why.

Evening Paul, 

Wise words. To be quite honest, I don't need to do this and having read your post, I'll step back from tinkering further. It has an element of fixing something that really isn't broken. 

It works fine on DC. No isolating sections, two track feeds. Change nothing, unplug Combi, plug in NCE and play. 

Leave well alone methinks. 

That's less to worry about ! 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Putting in extra isolating sections for DCC usually means the frog connections are extended to the whole length of sidings so with DC you get automatic isolation if the turnout isn't set for the siding. However this will not stop DCC working but say you park a loco in the siding will another goes by on the main. The decoder will cease to receive DCC signals therefore any lights will go off and if you have a sound decoder the sound will stop. Not a big issue but if you have some diseals with sound they go through a whole start up routine which can be irritating. So with DCC is is preferred to put isolation after the frog and feed the track beyond  this is not needed on the stock rails ust the frog rails. It is not important but if you might want to do it best done before ballasting. Although a simple cut in the rail post ballasting and drill a hole through the ballast for an additional feeder.

Don

the change to italics is just my computer having fun it also finds it fun to omit spaces between words.  

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

My computer just drops out when trying to post a picture on here, there's something that it doesn't like about this site. In extreme cases it will simply drop out of the site mid sentence.

To be honest I suspect that it does it simply to be a c

• Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

My computer just drops out when trying to post a picture on here, there's something that it doesn't like about this site. In extreme cases it will simply drop out of the site mid sentence.

To be honest I suspect that it does it simply to be a c

Perhaps you have an dcc  computer.

On a more serious note.

I'm no expert but it sounds like you have a dodgy WiFi signal. Does it drop out when connected by cable? If so I would speak to your broadband supplier.

Sorry Rob for hijacking your thread.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Rong letters

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all. 

Not a great deal going on but I did have a play with a pesky Peckett today. 

20211228_163011-02.jpeg.c6bec8e19bfe0189012a5bc688db75da.jpeg

Good to just sit and trundle up and down, strangely something I find very relaxing.

• Agree 6