• RMweb Gold

Picking up a point from a couple of pages back ( dangerous but here goes )......

Fiddly yards. 

Yep, I struggled at Uckfield and at Railwells on occasion with Ewe's fiddly yard being to the right of the scenic section. I tried both combos, as in holding the controller in the left hand or right and uncoupling vice versa. 

Conclusion. 

It's not necessarily the position of the fiddle yard but the position of the DCC panel that causes the drama to unfold. Hopefully NotenoughPanniers, sorry,  @2ManySpams can help out here ( assuming he's not busy ordering several Accurascale Panniers of course ) but I felt it was easier when we changed the short controller lead for the long dangly lead, thereby allowing us to stand further to the left of the layout.. Of course at Uckfield I didn't change the lead.....or did I ? ......any hows, this subject needs thinking about. 

At present, the new layout will have the fiddly yard on the left, back to normal S.O.P. but nothing is finalised as of yet.

And no, I haven't drawn a plan as I've not got a beer mat or old envelope to sketch it out on and the Memsahib has occupied the dining table to conduct pre-Crimbo craft activities. 

Rob. 

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Sorry Rob....THIS is playing trains...

53354745084_5178b6dae4_c.jpg

53353546532_2e23c9ae2e_c.jpg

Top stuff..and how is 6703 shaping up ? 

10 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Picking up a point from a couple of pages back ( dangerous but here goes )......

Fiddly yards. 

Yep, I struggled at Uckfield and at Railwells on occasion with Ewe's fiddly yard being to the right of the scenic section. I tried both combos, as in holding the controller in the left hand or right and uncoupling vice versa. 

Conclusion. 

It's not necessarily the position of the fiddle yard but the position of the DCC panel that causes the drama to unfold. Hopefully NotenoughPanniers, sorry,  @2ManySpams can help out here ( assuming he's not busy ordering several Accurascale Panniers of course ) but I felt it was easier when we changed the short controller lead for the long dangly lead, thereby allowing us to stand further to the left of the layout.. Of course at Uckfield I didn't change the lead.....or did I ? ......any hows, this subject needs thinking about. 

At present, the new layout will have the fiddly yard on the left, back to normal S.O.P. but nothing is finalised as of yet.

And no, I haven't drawn a plan as I've not got a beer mat or old envelope to sketch it out on and the Memsahib has occupied the dining table to conduct pre-Crimbo craft activities. 

Rob. 

I'd never thought about this before.  I tend to put fiddly yards on the right,  though left handed (obviously work of the devil) , perhaps it is the use of cassettes and S&W couplings that makes this easy?

I think playing musical instruments helps as you become quite ambidextrous because hands have to work independently. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The business of left or right handedness is odd. A lot of learning as a small child is by watching others. When I first learnt to write I did it quite neatly however it was reversed. Held up to a mirror you could read it.  For some reason they made me right the wrong way. Most things I learnt at an early age are left handed but things learnt later are much more ambidextrous. Although there is better control in the left hand.

Some things are awkward scissors are righthanded used in the right the action tends to hold the blades together getting a better cut. You can actually buy lefthanded scissors.

Don

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Nicely....now do I go the whole hog and install sound.... ?

I'm thinking that's the way to go. I've heard too many in the shop to ignore. 

But, no stock at Accurascale of decoders or speakers........yet

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Donw said:

The business of left or right handedness is odd. A lot of learning as a small child is by watching others. When I first learnt to write I did it quite neatly however it was reversed. Held up to a mirror you could read it.  For some reason they made me right the wrong way. Most things I learnt at an early age are left handed but things learnt later are much more ambidextrous. Although there is better control in the left hand.

Some things are awkward scissors are righthanded used in the right the action tends to hold the blades together getting a better cut. You can actually buy lefthanded scissors.

Don

I'm the product of right handed parents and have both left and right handed siblings. 

My wife is right handed, we have left and right handed daughters.  No one has come up with a convincing explanation of how it happens and many have tried. 

My experience and watching our daughter grow up it just seems to happen. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Donw said:

The business of left or right handedness is odd.

I once attended a meeting [of BR's Business Resources Forum, where each Sector provided a rep and we tried to prioritise schemes to make best use of scarce resources like signal design engineers] where 4 people sitting in a row were all left-handed. There were only about 9 or 10 people there. Sinister!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm primarily right handed but....and there's always a but, I shoot left handed ( which raised a few eye brows with the firearms instructors as the SA 80 was set up for 'normal humans' as it was put to me...no issues with the AK 47 though ), I play snooker left handed and, as the Memsahib noticed, I use a spade left handed. I can also use a saw left handed and other hand tools don't present too much of an issue. Other tasks however are right hand only, craft knifing, painting, writing etc etc.  Using the NCE is  equally easy in either hand but that really cannot be said of uncoupling......

Rob

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I once attended a meeting [of BR's Business Resources Forum, where each Sector provided a rep and we tried to prioritise schemes to make best use of scarce resources like signal design engineers] where 4 people sitting in a row were all left-handed. There were only about 9 or 10 people there. Sinister!

In my second year at university I shared a house with three other engineering students - all of us were left handed...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I was born left handed and forced to write right handed at the strict Catholic school I attended at an early age. Apparently left is the devils hand. 
The result is I’m very ambidextrous and have terrible hand writing. 

Going back to playing trains and @Gilbert’s post - I really hanker for a roundy round layout. I like the idea of sitting back and just letting the train do its thing without having to fiddle with anything. 

Jay

Edited by JustinDean
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

My father wrote left handed, but was otherwise ambidextrous. I've had to learn to be ambidextrous thanks to a nasty moment with something planted by an even stricter religion.😉 

My handwriting is pretty awful anyway, thanks to being issued a fountain pen at the age of seven and being taught to write in italics. I quite envy the Memsahib's flowing print, but her school made them wear little hats like it was 1955...

On the subject of roundy roundys, I did attempt to build one, some 14 feet square, even though it was only single track, being out of the country for weeks and months defeated me beyond getting the track laid.

Ordinarily it would have been a ten year project!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Going back to playing trains and @Gilbert’s post - I really hanker for a roundy round layout. I like the idea of sitting back and just letting the train do its thing without having to fiddle with anything. 

Jay

It's not a train set........its a critical test track....

Chris

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I'm thinking that's the way to go. I've heard too many in the shop to ignore. 

But, no stock at Accurascale of decoders or speakers........yet

I do seem to have a set  already....but now I have two locos that need them...

3 hours ago, Donw said:

Don

Hi,

I had a stroke 20 years ago which affected my right side.  I taught myself to writ left-handed, and, funnily enough, it's a lot neater than when I wrote right-handed!

On the subject of fiddle yards, for some reason I've always preferred to them on the left, even before my stroke.  I think, at the time, I was just being a bit perverse, but I was ambidextrous in a lot of things, such as preferring to use a knife in my left hand.  And in some situations I found it easier to use the controller to do some shunting whilst shuffling stock in the fiddleyard.

Roja

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Fiddly yards. 

Conclusion. 

Rob. 

Sorry, was busy not buying Pannier tanks...

I must admit I didn't have a problem with the fiddle being on the right, particularly once the longer controller lead was put on. Despite being right handed I tend to hold the controller in my left, which leaves my right hand free to do uncoupling and, er, twiddling with Rob's nob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 2ManySpams said:

Sorry, was busy not buying Pannier tanks...

I must admit I didn't have a problem with the fiddle being on the right, particularly once the longer controller lead was put on. Despite being right handed I tend to hold the controller in my left, which leaves my right hand free to do uncoupling and, er, twiddling with Rob's nob.

I thought it might have been down to my wonky hands and for the record, I was grateful to have Spams present to assist with the nob twiddling. Made for a very relaxing show as I am normally self reliant for such matters, which can be quite draining over two days. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Reading all these thoughts on the fiddle yards is fascinating. I have got so used to seeing them on the right side of a layout that I automatically put it on the right in the plan for the layout I'm going to build, without even thinking about my own practicality as a left handed person. I think I need to go and actually work out which side would work best.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Mmmmmm..............new Panniers, Dapol Toplight brake coach.........2025 is looking a bit Western........

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1