Sadly, any mention of “Beaver” now immediately makes me think of Pru Leith on the Great British Bake-off inviting one of the female contestants to approach the judges and “show us your beaver” … cue snorts and sniggers from Paul Hollywood and much laughter around the tent (judges, contestants, probably the production team too!)

HOURS OF SMUTTY HARMLESS FUN!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, 46444 said:

I could murder an Otter..

One of my earliest Traumatised Infant moments that I can actually remember - thinking that Midge the Otter really had had his head chopped of by a nasty man with a shovel in "Ring of Bright Water", possibly the first film I was taken to at the cinema, circa 1969.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I remember, at the seaside, paying a penny to pull a string and see the Water Otter. You all know the rest.

On 03/05/2024 at 01:52, St Enodoc said:

I remember, at the seaside, paying a penny to pull a string and see the Water Otter. You all know the rest.

Was it called Ascot ?

• Like 3

On 03/05/2024 at 01:52, St Enodoc said:

I don't ☹️

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2024 at 23:49, F-UnitMad said:

One of my earliest Traumatised Infant moments that I can actually remember - thinking that Midge the Otter really had had his head chopped of by a nasty man with a shovel in "Ring of Bright Water", possibly the first film I was taken to at the cinema, circa 1969.

Taken to see Bambi, a much hyped-up treat, in 1956 when I was four.  Cinema was a wonder palace, expectation building exponentially.  Sat down, expectation turning into full-on excitement now.  The lights went down, oh, be still my beating heart.  The curtains opened; I could hardly contain myself.  There were some adverts (Pearl & Dean); this was pre-ITV in Cardiff and I'd never seen anything like them before!  There was an expectant hush.  The film started, the culmination of everything my life had been building up to at that time.  ...And, within minutes, SOME TW*T SHOT BAMBI'S MUM!!!   HIS MUM, ffs!!!

I had to be carried out of the Cinema screaming in distress, mentally scarred for life, I can recall the incident in horrible clarity even now 68 year later.  How could anyone ever think that this  slaughterfest was suitable for young children; the most terrifiying part was that you only saw the gun, not the hunter, a shadow killer; fear of the unknown is the worst fear.  It was another eight years before I could be persuaded back into the cinema again, for Swiss Family Robinson, but I rapidly graduated to to Clint and the Dollars series, where corpse-counting was par for the course; death didn't worry me by that time.  Mind, nobody's mum got shot...

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I had to be carried out of the Cinema screaming in distress, mentally scarred for life, I can recall the incident in horrible clarity even now 68 year later.  How could anyone ever think that this  slaughterfest was suitable for young children

Same here, but next decade at the Beacon Cinema, Scott Arms.  And my parents wondered why I wouldn't go to sleep until they'd moved the more ferocious Britains wild animals from my bedroom every night 🙄

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 02/05/2024 at 20:52, St Enodoc said:

Water Otter?? Is that a kettle?? 🤷‍♂️🙄🤣

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

And you thought Ascot was an affair of hats and horses?

Yup. If you know, you know, but if you don't , you don't. Hohum.

• Round of applause 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

There's a lot of strange talk wot I don't get, going on on this thread at the moment...

13 hours ago, Fishplate said:

Yup. If you know, you know, but if you don't , you don't. Hohum.

You and me both are going 🤔. Would be nice if someone would explain wots going on, wouldn't it 🙂

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

Would be nice if someone would explain wots going on, wouldn't it 🙂

Yes, in words of one syllable, preferably!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

There's a lot of strange talk wot I don't get, going on on this thread at the moment...

36 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

You and me both are going 🤔. Would be nice if someone would explain wots going on, wouldn't it 🙂

Situation normal.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

Try explaining a back boiler behind an open fire to the youth of today, they struggle with the idea of no internet and just three TV channels.

I mentioned hobbies the other day to a class and had to explain what sort of things people did because some weren't sure!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Good afternoon folks,

Well, it's nice to be thought of as a youngster at fast approaching 64 - I had never heard of an Ascot water heater either!

Cheers, Nigel.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, mullie said:

I maybe wrong but weren't model railways once mentioned in this thread?

You probably just imagined it.

With just the kitchen sink and the bath in the kitchen we only needed the one ascot. A large board was placed over the bath when not in use to use as extra workspace. The door to the back was through the kitchen so when the Thames flooded the path at the front and Mum or Gran was in the bath you couldn't go in or out.

Don

Edited by Donw
typos
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2