• RMweb Gold

Still bumbling on with Bamfylde but lots of other things are preventing actual hands on modelling. Work and family mainly. Family stuff not a problem but I resent the amount of time work is occupying at the moment. Sat last night reading through work stuff until quite late.

Without wanting to wish my life away, I am looking forward to retirement in a little under five years.....

Anyway, managed to find this lovely photo. I do not know by whom it was taken but a lovely shot.

Anyone recognise the location?

Rob

post-14122-0-15113500-1429081755.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Anyway, managed to find this lovely photo. I do not know by whom it was taken but a lovely shot.

Anyone recognise the location?

Buckfastleigh.

"Darling, say something sweet and gooey to me."

'Something sweet and gooey'.

Darling.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some actual modelling has faded into recent history and my apologies.

However, off to the Bristol show on Saturday and i have a small list. Mainly looking for bits and bobs to finish off the three wise prairies. Hopefully some nice etched plates for them. 4561 is a must as this was a regular on the Kingsbridge branch.

With the locos making some progress the Bamfylde project will, I hope, reignite.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully some nice etched plates for them. 4561 is a must as this was a regular on the Kingsbridge branch.

A great choice Rob and I 'd model it myself if it was right for my period.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Rob. 4582 is probably a better choice for yourself.

Must say, the Bristol show is one of my favourite shows and quite close to myself so a nice trip out.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Just back from Bristol show. Interesting morning. There were some nice layouts and, I have to say, some not so nice people.

I enjoyed my friends Italian layout and there also some other nice European HO bits and bobs.

Paynestown was a lovely Western region BLT with an unmistakable Welsh valleys look to it. Very atmospheric it was, yes indeed.

Ruan was also a lovely looking layout. Western region from, I think, West Wales.

247 developments were a bit of a let down but I did come away with plates for 4561, however, their range seems to have contacted somewhat.

As for the punters......dear god!

Numerous due care offences in relation to rucksacks.

Several either trod on or knocked into my two and a half year old daughter, only one of which apologised to her. ( she did shout OW!). Others managed to bump into my eleven year old lad who is considerably taller and does a good Paddington stare....

I was really miffed at the apparent lack of manners and how people just barge past seemingly to be first at the trade stands.

It was not only my kids having drama. One chap in a wheel chair was bashed with a rucksack as the wearer turned only for his mate to step back and all but sit in his lap as he rushed to fill a space at a layout.....

As for hygiene......What is wrong with washing??? This was at 10am for crying out loud. At least one was so bad that had I not seen movement I would have treated it as a sudden death.......

In addition there were at least two obvious Wigs, one of which appeared to be made out of static grass.....

However, it was refreshing to see that the dark green polo shirt is still THE top of choice for model railway enthusiasts.

Anyway, home safe.....and maybe some modelling later....

Rob.

Edited by nhy581
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes. I was comparing them to previous years and I had the impression that there has been a reduction in stock. I asked for two other sets of plates and he referred me back to the website to place an order. I thought this was a bit odd as I thought I was speaking to the guy who would look at the request I was to place on the website.So why not take an order there and then?

I've not check but I'm sure I looked before hand and at least one of the numbers was listed as current and in stock.

Seemed a bit odd.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

I have to say that having now checked, the plates I was after are not listed by 247.

My mistake, but there did appear to be less stock.

One thing I did notice though was he had the plates away from the front of the stand. To get a plate you had to ask for it and he looked for if himself.

Past light fingered customers perchance?

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Not much Western progress. However, I have done a bit with the King Arthur. Not the finished article but I am enjoying dabbling with this.

Rob.

post-14122-0-49585200-1430640170_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-11126300-1430640184_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-76387200-1430640194_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I have to say that having now checked, the plates I was after are not listed by 247.

My mistake, but there did appear to be less stock.

One thing I did notice though was he had the plates away from the front of the stand. To get a plate you had to ask for it and he looked for if himself.

Past light fingered customers perchance?

Rob.

I don't think so as Errol used to do the same and they do carry a large range of plates.I hope to catch him at Railex for my 64xx ones.

• RMweb Gold

A photo of 4561. First time I have fitted etched plates and I found it a bit tricky, to say the least. I'm sure practice will improve matters.

Rob

post-14122-0-10923000-1430649659_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-91573600-1430649668_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I've come across some Martin Finney etched plates. Separate plates and numbers. Can any one offer some advice as to the best way to go about these. Thought I would have a go as I have them in stock, so to speak.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Final photo of 4561. Still some work to do but I applied some resin polish to the side tanks and bunker area. I like the contrast it provides and I hope that it gives the impression of a loco whose crew have given it a partial clean.

I am not very happy with the area around the number plates and will look to improve upon this later.

For now 4561 will do, detail still to be added but time to stop for fear of over egging.

My take on a hard working but cared for branch loco.

post-14122-0-44166100-1430686215_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-06000700-1430686225_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

By the way, I must do something about that chimney.......

• RMweb Premium

I've come across some Martin Finney etched plates. Separate plates and numbers. Can any one offer some advice as to the best way to go about these. Thought I would have a go as I have them in stock, so to speak.

Rob

I would flog them and use the proceeds to buy some custom-made plates. Life's too short...

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, have to say I agree. A combination of sausage fingers and the eyesight of a mole has rendered the Finney plates beyond me.

Anyway, as I seem to be doing anything but Western region stuff, I have dug out a couple if old chums. Spurred on by a post on ANTB, I reacquainted myself with some SDJR models.

Both as supplied by the LMS to the S&D which retained the Prussian Blue livery until 1930.

I am sure that at least one of the 2P, no.45, ran for a short time in blue but with LMS numbers and Kettering on the tender. The black and white image shows 45 being prepared at Bath Queens Square and it still has the front number plate with 45 on the smoke box. The colour also looks a bit too light to be lined black and if repainted, why would you not remove the front number plate?

Rob

post-14122-0-84943600-1430816280_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-60770700-1430816298_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-83070100-1430816319_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-90130200-1430816334.jpg

• Like 7

Rob

Fixing the plates down on a surface with some double sided tape, painting some varnish onto the surface and then fit the numbers. The varnish allows the movement and final setting of the numerals.

Once fixed and dry, paint over the whole thing with black.

Once the black is dry, rub the numbered side on some stiff card gently and the paint will come off leaving the brass edge and numerals. varnish again to seal!!!

Alternatively, purchase a ready made set, as someone has already mentioned, life is too short!!!!

Nice 45xx by the way.

Jinty ;-)

• RMweb Gold

Thank for the tips, Jinty. Much appreciated.

Any particular varnish to fix or will anything do?

Rob.

Thank for the tips, Jinty. Much appreciated.

Any particular varnish to fix or will anything do?

Rob.

I tend to use Railmatch satin or gloss brushed on. Precision and Humbrol have never found favour with me!!!

Oh and a good magnifying glass too!!!!!

Jinty ;-)

Edited by Jintyman