• RMweb Gold

Popped to a certain Swedish furniture shop on the way home from work and came away with the fiddle yard.

At 79cm x 26cm wide and 5cm deep, the Persby shelf was deemed to be suitable.

This gives a total length of the layout of 189 cm or about 6ft 3 ish.......

I intend to use case catch thingies to link them together.

Track laying and wiring should be done over the weekend.

Rob

post-14122-0-68349200-1452889738_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-66365100-1452889754_thumb.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Popped to a certain Swedish furniture shop on the way home from work and came away with the fiddle yard.

At 79cm x 26cm wide and 5cm deep, the Persby shelf was deemed to be suitable.

This gives a total length of the layout of 189 cm or about 6ft 3 ish.......

I intend to use case catch thingies to link them together.

Track laying and wiring should be done over the weekend.

Rob

Rob, did you buy one of their little wooden train sets as well?

• RMweb Gold

Rob, did you buy one of their little wooden train sets as well?

Not allowed. Nurse says I might get splinters.

• RMweb Gold

Well hope to a bit more done today but firstly there is the small matter of sleep as I have finished an unexpected 13hr night shift........

Rub { eyes }

• RMweb Gold

Sleep sorted {Three and a half hours !!}......

Well, spent a day laying track. I put a temporary power feed in and that was the end of that. Out came a few wagons and locos and playtime commenced.

What a great way to pass the afternoon. I am happy with the track plan which keeps me occupied but may vary the length of a couple of sidings. I also need to give some thought to how the wiring will be installed.

I then took a few photos with some blue paper acting as a temporary back scene. I actually quite like the idea of a plain blue back scene.

I am very pleased with how this is going and is exactly what was needed. I again have to acknowledge the inspiration offered by John Flann and the wonderful Hintock, especially Hintock Town Quay. Equally, Mark with the delightful Juniper Hill which first had me thinking about an easily set up shunting layout.

Very much a S&DJR look to proceedings today which will easily switch to L&SWR when needed and vice versa.

Rob.

post-14122-0-96435600-1453047395_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-31073500-1453047412_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-82972500-1453047429_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-14052600-1453047447_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-66032100-1453047463_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Wiring has been installed properly today. Quite tricky really due to the fact that these shelves are effectively sealed units.

Wires were soldered to fish plates and holes drilled in the top face and wires threaded through to the cavity. I drilled a hole in the rear of the shelf for the wires to exit and then made a long hook from a length of old rail.

40 minutes of keyhole surgery later.....out came the wires.

This is not a complicated model railway. Four wires all done. My kind of wiring. No isolating sections as only one engine in steam.....er sparks.

So with the wiring installed........playtime.

Very nice way to pass a couple of hours.

Movements involved the 4F, which is about the biggest type of loco that will fit this layout, and an M7.

What I like about this layout is its simplicity. The track is down and wired in two days.

The game is afoot....

Rob

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Take a look at Shell Island. The backscene is virtually all sky, but with some very low hills far, far away.

Quite envious of this - don't have the capacity to make one for myself at the moment.

• RMweb Gold

Why not do something a bit different?

- Goods only (passenger services withdrawn perhaps)

- Former through route (like one suggested by Coombe Barton above), but now truncated beyond your location

- Industrial adjunct (with it's own loco)

Would you like the full sausage coverage on this thread, by the way, or just the 5 minute version?

It wouldn't go amiss to have some prairie shots young Rob please.

My first request!. Thank you Rob. Only to happy to oblige and in doing so I recalled the Captains suggestion from post 15.....

Here then are some shots of a very attractive prairie. Those of you who are of a weaker disposition or are being supervised by Nanny should look away now....

Rob.

post-14122-0-18184200-1453194417_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-43114900-1453194430_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-45363400-1453194463_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-28457600-1453194480_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-60262700-1453194497_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

More playing.........er.. testing this afternoon established the biggest loco that will fit along Sheep Lane..........

post-14122-0-75018300-1453221901_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A South Western flavour this morning with the appearance of a Hornby 700 class.

This really is a 1st class model. Splendid looking and a lovely runner.

This playing...sorry....testing the layout( it is after all a test track ! ).....is good fun but with the layout running as it should, I need to knuckle down and start on the scenic side.

I am looking to order some buffer stops. I was originally looking to use PECO rail built jobbies but having found two I am no longer happy with the look / feel of them.

I am looking to source Midland/Southern buffer stops.

As its a small layout, there is plenty of opportunity to get exactly what you want rather than compromise.....without delaying matters too much.

Having got this far this quickly, I don't want to lose momentum.

However......it is a test track after all.

Rob.

post-14122-0-28511900-1453289423_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-22970900-1453289454_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I am looking to order some buffer stops. I was originally looking to use PECO rail built jobbies but having found two I am no longer happy with the look / feel of them.

I am looking to source Midland/Southern buffer stops.

As its a small layout, there is plenty of opportunity to get exactly what you want rather than compromise.....without delaying matters too much.

Have yo had a look at Lanarkshire Model Supplies, Dave Franks of this parish.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Ere.....I've got an Airfix 4f here that a certain 'saturday boy' painted and weathered!

Blimey Neil ! A mere 34 yrs ago...........I say again 34 chuffing years ago........I had hair , teeth, could see things....and never had to worry where the next toilet was.....

On a positive note, I'm still weathering 4F's.

Also I am typing this sat in the same house as I was when I weathered the one you have now.

You up on the weekend? If you are I will be the fella in the Somerset and Dorset T Shirt.........

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Had a bit of a disaster this evening..........Popped into my local shop on way home ( not really on way home as the crow flies but easily recovered if I venture that way... ).

Went in for browse and came out with this..now certain ex-LB&SCR types ended up in the West Country so I have an excuse....Rule one any one?

Rob

post-14122-0-55929800-1453837865_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-07516300-1453837883_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-89109700-1453837894_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning, John.

Yes, very smooth. Very nice to shunt about and looks very much at home arriving at Sheep Lane with a mineral wagon for Harry Grace's coal siding or a ventilated van for Thomas Charles fruit and veg business.

Hopefully starting on scenics this week. Bring some life to the plot.

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Had a bit of a disaster this evening..........Popped into my local shop on way home ( not really on way home as the crow flies but easily recovered if I venture that way... ).

Went in for browse and came out with this..now certain ex-LB&SCR types ended up in the West Country so I have an excuse....Rule one any one?

Rob

Just sort of 'fell' into your bag did it? Rule 1....two got tested for a while on banking duties at Exeter Central and when that was finished they had a spell down Bodmin way, then Friary but were not popular.

F. Ibber.

• RMweb Gold

Nice of you to flap in Ducky. Always nice to hear a quack or two from you.

Your observations are noted. I thought as much about these Brighton types.......

Rob.