• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Weather has been shocking here and as a result not much has gone on in the garage. The thought of popping down in the pouring rain then tinkering in the cold has not proved to be inspirational.

Thoughts have therefore turned to an alternative that could be played with in the house.......

Inspiration is being drawn from the likes of Hintock and Juniper Hill to name just two.

I had a rummage in the attic and found an IKEA shelf. It's called a LACK shelf. 110cm x 26cm x 5cm deep. Very light weight.

A bit of a shunting plank is envisaged that I can whip out ( ooh eer, Missus ) and fiddle with for 20mins or so. ( more oooo matron ! ).

I have mocked up using the sectional Hornby track that normally forms The Independent Table Top Investigative Establishment or T.I.T.T.I.E for short.

Pictured below is the mock up. I fore see a further LACK forming a fiddle yard but at £10 per baseboard this won't break the bank.

Off to Lord and Butler this afternoon to pick up some new points.

Rob.

post-14122-0-01064200-1452423485_thumb.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The beauty of these LACK shelf things is they come with their own floating ( appropriate given the chuffing weather) brackets....like so.

Also 4F for good measure.

Rob.

post-14122-0-51442200-1452425687_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-30760200-1452425711_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-09493500-1452426487_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The beauty of these LACK shelf things is they come with their own floating ( appropriate given the chuffing weather) brackets....like so.

Also 4F for good measure.

Rob.

If you do use the bracket and fix it to a wall just quickly check how flat the wall is. If it's curved slightly then the bracket curves too and the two posts either get closer together or further apart at the ends making it difficult to slide the shelf on.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

If you do use the bracket and fix it to a wall just quickly check how flat the wall is. If it's curved slightly then the bracket curves too and the two posts either get closer together or further apart at the ends making it difficult to slide the shelf on.

That sounds like the voice of experience.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice 4F. Is that a factory-weathered Bachmann one?

No CK, weathered by my own shaky hands with Humbrol powders.

Rob

post-14122-0-45269200-1452427338_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Rob, pleased to see the start you have made. That is the way to go, two suggestions:-

1. If you laid the tracks diagonally you gain a little bit more length, and

2. can you introduce some curve into it.This will add to the appearance. (see the recent images of HTQ and my new Port Bredy)

Edited by john flann

• RMweb Gold

Thank you CK,John.

I have returned from a foraging mission at the local model railway emporium with a selection of PECO points. They will give a slightly different look to the track plan.

I am going to keep the loop etc straight but will add a slight curve to a couple of the sidings. Ideally, John, I would have followed Hintock Quay as I find that most attractive and agree with the whole layout on a curve. However, the board is only 26 cm, just over 10 inches wide and I feel that curving the plot will mean compromising in other areas.

I am going to keep to small structures to try to add space, if that makes sense.

This is a true quicky and I hope to have the track laid and wired over the next couple of days, playing trains soon after.

The main delay will be down to a lack of.....er....LACK shelf for the fiddle yard.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

A few images. Some progress has been made. All track is cut and ready to pin down. Code 75.

Also had a present from Kernow. Maybe a bit small but very nice all the same. I do like it.

I have to say I am enjoying this and fail to see why I didn't think of this sooner..........

Rob.

post-14122-0-42775700-1452628671_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-90652200-1452628695.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I like that very much, and it has also got the seal of approval from Gerald, the Chief Rabbit.

Thank you CK. Very kind. I did have a moment of mild confusion { not uncommon in my world.} until I correctly read that Gerald was the chief rabbit.........and not chief rabbi...

Thanks to all of you for the generous 'likes'. Great encouragement.

I hope to have something running over the next couple of days.

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I did have a moment of mild confusion { not uncommon in my world.} until I correctly read that Gerald was the chief rabbit.........and not chief rabbi...

Yes, his whereabouts is generally a closely-guarded secret. Unfortunately with the Heathfield branch currently 'washed out', he cannot stable his Executive Rabbit Hutch there overnight, when visiting Devon.

• RMweb Gold

Nothing to report at the moment.

This weekend has some time allocated for visit to model shop and some modelling time.......

Next weekend, I will be here... http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103912-small-model-railway-show-cardiff/

In the meantime I am contemplating digging out the long johns.

Rob

• Like 1