• RMweb Premium

I have the Dreaded Lurgi.....

Oh poor you. It is horrible for a few days. If it's the head/nose/throat version try getting some Menthol Crystals. Put a tiny bit in really hot water, towel over head job and inhale. Take care as it really can be excruciating if you don't know what's going to happen but boy it really helps. If you know this already then fine. Do not do whilst driving! Strepsils and Lockets for that. I found that Brandy and Ginger Cordial, like Stones, in very hot water also helps a lot. Good luck mate. 

ATB

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Duckers, Old Beak.

Proper snotty this morning an annoying cough with a general feeling of malaise.

On a positive I am off work but as of yet not in a position to do anything constructive.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Join the club!, I have had it for a few days now. i attack it with Lemsip, honey and cheap scotch, I don't like wasting the good stuff by mixing it with anything other than more good scotch.

I can't take Lemsip due to my stupid meds. have to make do with Ibruprofen and Brandy. Shame really.

Some words of cheer though, it only lasts a few days and then...........comes back again in a different form. However that only lasts a few days and then..........that comes back again in a mutated form like wot has afficted me this morning. Poo and double carp. Even SWMBO has decideed she needs to join in and she never gets ill; well rarely.

Acon Sultant 

• RMweb Gold

Deffo the scotch.

On a positive, my etched signs arrived from Scalelink. Roger Smith etched L&SWR jobs as used on Sheep Lane. See below. Not the easiest to paint but very rewarding, when one gets it right.

A quiet evening doing these is therefore planned......but not tonight...

post-14122-0-20324800-1513352308.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Paint, track colour, then Humbrol weathering powders daubed on, secured with acrylic varnish. A light buff with a soft brush gives a bit of a sheen. That's what gives the texture.

Here's a few repeat views of various bits and bobs. Same principles applied though the below are just powders and varnish over the factory finish.

Rob.

post-14122-0-78956800-1513381813.jpg

post-14122-0-66877000-1513381877_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-07782900-1513381928.jpg

post-14122-0-71084300-1513382004_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-80281400-1513382096_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-31907700-1513382207_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-20843900-1513382293_thumb.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Bonjour.

Day six of the dreaded lurgi. Snot and irritating cough for the last couple of hours has conspired to drag me from my pit lest the Memsahib takes revenge.

The symptoms abated long enough for me to take No.1 son to see the latest Star Wars film yesterday evening, and very good it was.

I am planning a trip to the train shop (or two) today to pick up some supplies for Christmas period..

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Like the close up photos. Sometimes texture can look overdone but that looks great.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. It's trial and error ( more error half the time!!) but the powders are very fine. A couple of times things have looked great....then I sprayed on the varnish and it has all gone the way of the pear. A very light dusting of said varnish rather than a coat as such. This in itself provides texture. Where I need to suggest wear on metal, I work a soft brush over it afterwards and this gives a burnished effect.

I hope to be doing a couple of locos soon and I need to get my head around weathering a couple of coaches. That should give me enough stock for the exhibition in January.

One thing which does work for me is to use the same colours to weather everything, stock, buildings,track etc.I feel this gives a more uniform look to the whole layout thing.

Rob.

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Excellent stuff, will you be so kind as to tell me what powders you does use (you may have already mentioned that but I does not do too much readin).

Will we also be getting a blow by blow account, with pictures, of you mission to make your trains dirty too?.

T. Dullcoat

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good grief, Rob, those close ups are stunning!  The fine powders seem to be the key to all this, and I may rethink some of my own somewhat basic 'wash it on wipe some of it off' weathering techniques.

I also use the same basic wash to weather everything to give it all a uniform look, which enhances the effect of the odd clean newly painted mineral wagon.  For minerals and some other vehicles, a further very dark wash is applied in recognition that this is a mining valley and and there is a fair bit of coal dust about.  This is reasonably effective, especially on factory weathered vehicles which are generally too brown for my taste.  

4585, still not renumbered to a Tondu auto fitted loco, is of course weathered by your good self, and sits quite comfortably amongst the 50s dirt, semi-dereliction, and Valleys gloom.  Looks pretty good pulling my re-liveried crimson B set!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Excellent stuff, will you be so kind as to tell me what powders you does use (you may have already mentioned that but I does not do too much readin).

Will we also be getting a blow by blow account, with pictures, of you mission to make your trains dirty too?.

T. Dullcoat

I use Humbrol powders......

The main colours are Black, Smoke, Iron Oxide, White.

In addition I have Dark earth, Rust and Sand.

I will do a blow by blow account when I have a dabble with the first of the Radials..

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

I've often wondered about tofu, and was asking CTMK about it earlier today, as it happens. We agreed to let a discreet veil of ignorance remain in place when it came to tofu.

I've only recently learned how to cook tofu (as in the white block, not pretend meat or other thing substitute).

You must press it to dry it out before cutting into cubes and frying. I wrap it in a layer of paper towel, then a tea towel and put that between two chopping boards and weigh it down with a load of tins.

F. Anny

• RMweb Premium

I've only recently learned how to cook tofu (as in the white block, not pretend meat or other thing substitute).

You must press it to dry it out before cutting into cubes and frying. I wrap it in a layer of paper towel, then a tea towel and put that between two chopping boards and weigh it down with a load of tins.

F. Anny

That's the whole point. Tofu is great when it is used as tofu, Asian-style. When it is used as a substitute for something else it is awful.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With Mutton's first appearance at hexheebition just over a month away, I am assessing the layout from a display perspective.

I am installing additional lighting to the layout in the form of two LED strips.

This is known as the New Improved Proscenteum Provided Lighting Equipment Support

{N.I.P.P.L.E.S}.

There is also a bit of fettling to do to the Fiddle Area Retention Tackle,Wooden Apparatus,Fabricated.

{ F.A.R.T.W.A.F.Ted}

In addition there is a minor revision to the Stock Holding In Transit Equipment.

{S.H.I.T.E}.

All this in addition to progressing the layout itself.

All good.

Rob.

• Like 2

With Mutton's first appearance at hexheebition just over a month away, I am assessing the layout from a display perspective.

I am installing additional lighting to the layout in the form of two LED strips.

This is known as the New Improved Proscenteum Provided Lighting Equipment Support

{N.I.P.P.L.E.S}.

There is also a bit of fettling to do to the Fiddle Area Retention Tackle,Wooden Apparatus,Fabricated.

{ F.A.R.T.W.A.F.Ted}

In addition there is a minor revision to the Stock Holding In Transit Equipment.

{S.H.I.T.E}.

All this in addition to progressing the layout itself.

All good.

Rob.

And this is exactly why I follow this thread ( amongst others ) because of its educational value enabling me to use words, such as the above, to impress people I meet in the supermarket or local shops.

I will await further educational support to supplement my literacy class.

Thank you

3-2-1 ...Oh! I'm back in the room !!

Ar$E Collar

• RMweb Premium

And this is exactly why I follow this thread ( amongst others ) because of its educational value enabling me to use words, such as the above, to impress people I meet in the supermarket or local shops.

I don't believe for one moment that you have supermarkets in Devon... not for one moment Grahame.

I don't believe for one moment that you have supermarkets in Devon... not for one moment Grahame.

We do have one....

post-20303-0-64188300-1513517258.jpg

Unfortunately the other was closed in the village and is now a place where "gentlemen of a certain persuasion" visit ! Not a place that I would frequent to handle the mel@ns ! 

A Local

Edited by bgman