• RMweb Premium

I've only recently learned how to cook tofu (as in the white block, not pretend meat or other thing substitute).

You must press it to dry it out before cutting into cubes and frying. I wrap it in a layer of paper towel, then a tea towel and put that between two chopping boards and weigh it down with a load of tins.

F. Anny

How long do the tins take to cook through?

Ar$£

• RMweb Premium

How long do the tins take to cook through?

Ar$£

Depending on the shape 1 - 2 hours. 

Tins of real ham take the longest because they contain pears (as witnessed from their shape).

This one contains an heir to the throne, so is a very expensive and therefore takes the longest to cook (about the same but not quite as long as badger hams).

post-1328-0-58526900-1513518142.jpg

Y. Ummy

Depending on the shape 1 - 2 hours.

Tins of real ham take the longest because they contain pears (as witnessed from their shape).

This one contains an heir to the throne, so is a very expensive and therefore takes the longest to cook (about the same but not quite as long as badger hams).

This Ham Is Now Well Again.jpg

Y. Ummy

Pears?

I am quite partial to a nice pair of hams,.

Hammy Hamster?

• RMweb Gold

Doing stuff......Lurgi is in decline...ish.

A view of the work bench...er...dining table..

Rob.

post-14122-0-95501500-1513521309_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Etruria.

A charming part of East Africa.

A former resident of Lamb Regis, Lt. Colonel Cuthbert St.John Bleat served in the 1st Battalion, Royal Etrurian Rifles between 1907 and 1915 when he was mortally wounded whilst hunting lions.

In a bizarre accident, Cuthbert was shot by his own Purdey when a lion lept from the bush. Cuthbert, somewhat surprised by the audacity of the creature, fell backwards, dropping said firearm. The lion landed with both front paws on the weapon. One of its claws became tangled in the trigger guard and the lion contrived to shoot poor Cuthbert with both barrels, before making off into the bush.

Cuthbert, who died in the arms of his devoted bearer, Gladstone ,remained philosophical to the last word and simply uttered;

'Bu@@er'

before passing away.

He was buried with full military honours in his adopted country, lowered into his grave as the Regimental band played the regimental march, 'Boom Boom Phtang Jolly Boy, What! What! The march gained its name from one of Cuthberts regular utterences as he patrolled the camp sat astride the regimental Ox, Winston.

The tune is of course better known in this country as 'Knees up, Mother Brown.'

Rob.

Edited by nhy581

Hope you don't mind Rob, having been inspired by your loading gauge in post no.3201 I've been making this today from my scrap brass box...

post-20303-0-78470000-1513555163.png

and a first coat of white

post-20303-0-74193100-1513555176.png

Ironically after getting to this stage I won an O Gauge kit of said loading gauge on that HE-Bay thingy  :O

(If you want this taken off here just let me know matey )

Grahame

p.s. photos taken on iPhone so quality is..well ya know !

Edited by bgman
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

That's superb Grahame.

Really captures the look of the original. That's my kind of modelling.

There is a whole sub culture out there on things like loading gauges. Mine are simply produced from photos to give the impression of.....scale modeller, I am not.

Over the next few weeks I hope to add a few more details to Mutton. I find myself wondering about telegraph poles, drains, man hole covers. Next job will be the station building. Just a few details to add to that and then bed it in.

I do refer to photos but my modelling is all about providing an overall look rather than a scale replica. I can't do that. Plenty of green paint = Southern.....ish.

It's quietly coming together now but a lot left to do.

Keep it up G and keep posting.

Rob.

• Like 4

Thank you Rob,

It's been knocking around in my head as to whether or not to make one but after seeing yours I decided to give it a go. Strangely I did make one in 4mm, once again from brass, many years ago but it's never been "planted" on a layout. This one however will be.

Strange this sub culture malarkey, I know we all attempt to recreate what we see in everyday life on our layouts, but it's not until you start to make something that you begin to notice the real details.

Like you, I'm only going to aim at the impression and based upon your work / modelling to date I think you've exceeded that in many respects mate.

Bore da

G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ohhhhhh, yes you are.....!!!

Thank you, Keef. Too kind.

Thank you Rob,

It's been knocking around in my head as to whether or not to make one but after seeing yours I decided to give it a go. Strangely I did make one in 4mm, once again from brass, many years ago but it's never been "planted" on a layout. This one however will be.

Strange this sub culture malarkey, I know we all attempt to recreate what we see in everyday life on our layouts, but it's not until you start to make something that you begin to notice the real details.

Like you, I'm only going to aim at the impression and based upon your work / modelling to date I think you've exceeded that in many respects mate.

Bore da

G

Da iawn, Diolch. Most kind Grahame. The beauty of our hobby is that you never stop learning. Tonight I will mainly be seeking out piccies of telegraph poles.I don't know the first thing about them and it will bug the carp out of me until I have an idea. The other thing is man hole covers. I have some lovely etched jobbies from Wizard model that I am itching to use...properly. More gawping at piccies. I certainly know how to live well!!

Absolutely stunning winter's day here today!

Totally agree there. Beautiful here today. Me and the Memsahib had a rare day together. Very enjoyable and good to get out and about buying a few bits and bobs for Christmas.

All good.

Rob.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A few photos of yesterdays signs popped onto the Mutton.

Not sure if these are the final positions but they seem okay.

Rob.

post-14122-0-69773600-1513613991_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-68891900-1513614022_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-58424100-1513614056_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Buffers.

Not wishing to criticise in any way, shape or form, but...

... should the horizontal parts of the buffer frames be in-line with (level with) the actual rails, rather than projecting above ?  This will mean removal of the chairs to allow the 'rails' (plastic and metal ) to sit together.

Like this, for example : http://c8.alamy.com/comp/E692K6/red-railway-buffer-stop-at-the-end-of-the-railway-track-severn-valley-E692K6.jpg

and this : http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/19ff57becf604805b218130be360a8cc/vintage-buffer-stop-north-thoresbylincs-wolds-railway-easter-gala-d5hmpr.jpg

... should the horizontal parts of the buffer frames be in-line with (level with) the actual rails, rather than projecting above ?  This will mean removal of the chairs to allow the 'rails' (plastic and metal ) to sit together.

Like this, for example : http://c8.alamy.com/comp/E692K6/red-railway-buffer-stop-at-the-end-of-the-railway-track-severn-valley-E692K6.jpg

and this : http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/19ff57becf604805b218130be360a8cc/vintage-buffer-stop-north-thoresbylincs-wolds-railway-easter-gala-d5hmpr.jpg

Presumably, if this is correct, then as it stands the wooden beam will be too high relative to the wagon buffers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Presumably, if this is correct, then as it stands the wooden beam will be too high relative to the wagon buffers.

Sort of. I think the issue is that the PECO buffer stops are designed with code 100 rail in mind but they have to do for code 75 as well. Even if chairs are removed they will still project above rail height. As they are they are same height as wagon buffers.

See what happens when I actually glue them down.

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you, Keef. Too kind.

Da iawn, Diolch. Most kind Grahame. The beauty of our hobby is that you never stop learning. Tonight I will mainly be seeking out piccies of telegraph poles.I don't know the first thing about them and it will bug the carp out of me until I have an idea. The other thing is man hole covers. I have some lovely etched jobbies from Wizard model that I am itching to use...properly. More gawping at piccies. I certainly know how to live well!!

Totally agree there. Beautiful here today. Me and the Memsahib had a rare day together. Very enjoyable and good to get out and about buying a few bits and bobs for Christmas.

All good.

Rob.

Glad you are recovered and feeling better............................but shoppping? Geeeessssshhhhhh! :sarcastichand:  :swoon: