Ah, now I understand!

I sometimes 'look in' on German language narrow gauge forums; when my mediocre language skills hits the buffers I turn to Gobgle translate for clarity, but have been amazed at how poor this (and similar) software is at stringing two meaningful sentences together in English - but this is no longer the case.

Having just looked back at the last handful of posts here, ostensibly and vaguely about West of England branchline modelling, I can see why the computer 'brain' is no match for it's human counterpart.

Keep up the good work chaps, I'm taking the advice of Olddudders quoted 'Spitfire' ad - but mine's a 'Proper Job'

Steve W

Edited by steve W
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah, now I understand!

I sometimes 'look in' on German language narrow gauge forums; when my mediocre language skills hits the buffers I turn to Gobgle translate for clarity, but have been amazed at how poor this (and similar) software is at stringing two meaningful sentences together in English - but this is no longer the case.

Having just looked back at the last handful of posts here, ostensibly and vaguely about West of England branchline modelling, I can see why the computer 'brain' is no match for it's human counterpart.

Keep up the good work chaps, I'm taking the advice of Olddudders quoted 'Spitfire' ad - but mine's a 'Proper Job'

Steve W

Bonjour Steve......Ostensibly and vaguely.........well yes....ish...I accept we do wander off but there is the occasional bout of modelling, honest guvnor.

The issue I have is that I am actually doing a bit of modelling at present hence the haphazard updates from yours truly.

A summary of recent activity.

Bleat Wharf- track in scenic section laid and operating. Slight tweak required as I have made a horses arse of one section. Wiring and fiddly yard to follow but clearance tests are okay. Worked out how to operate the entry turnout so need to put it together. Operationally it seem fun. Just need to make sure it looks okay. First show is the Small Cardiff show in January 2019

Sheep Lane-Working fine and some operating carried out. Most recently over breakfast this morning. Next show at Swansea in October

Mutton- A few jobs to do ahead of its next show at Cardiff in October. Details mainly. Some nice Shirescenes barrows and seats which will also appear on Sheep and Bleat.

However, the small matter of the World cup matches to attend to.

So, at present Bleat is the priority..........but so is having a chuckle.......

Ps....I would avoid google translate........really.......English to Czech has produced some crackers...

post-14122-0-26435300-1531235597_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Ah, now I understand!

Steve W

I think forum etiquette allows us to be ourselves on another's thread - as long as it suits him/her. Rob is longer-suffering than some. I was asked to withdraw a remark on another thread recently - the OP only wants his photos and videos and suitable adulation on there. Another thread-owner periodically posts the terrifying words Topic Reset. 

As for the Spitfire ad, it was one of a series devised by/for Shepherd Neame back in the day. Most - e.g. Bottle of Britain, Victoria Cross, Downed all over Kent just like the Luftwaffe, etc etc, made it into full scale campaigns in London and environs. This one didnae, but hey - what a great poster!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Struth.

There is a very fine 2mmFS layout called that - St Ruth. It is based upon Penzance, and I've always wondered whether the group were discussing a location and it was suggested - whereupon someone said strewth. 

• RMweb Gold

Bleat continues with it Molluscesque progress.

Here is the view from above.

Rob.

post-14122-0-19600000-1531258834_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

I think forum etiquette allows us to be ourselves on another's thread - as long as it suits him/her. Rob is longer-suffering than some. I was asked to withdraw a remark on another thread recently - the OP only wants his photos and videos and suitable adulation on there. Another thread-owner periodically posts the terrifying words Topic Reset.

That's right Ian. If the original poster wants to retain control of content they should post a blog rather than a topic.

Anyway, we're all mates here - aren't we?????

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There is a very fine 2mmFS layout called that - St Ruth. It is based upon Penzance, and I've always wondered whether the group were discussing a location and it was suggested - whereupon someone said strewth. 

According to the layout owners it should indeed be pronounced as 'strewth'

With mentions of 'forum etiquette' I feel I may have caused some discord. If so, I humbly apologise as this was not intended.

I have followed this delightful thread for some time and been throroughly amused by the meanderings and equally inspired by Rob's modelling. For my part, I do model and thoroughly appreciate that Bleat Wharf, like Rome is not a one day job.

A few years ago I exhibited a layout at the old Shepherd Neame brewery, at the end of the day expenses were paid  in the form of a collection of their very fine products.  I also did one at the Thamesmead pumping station - fortunately they paid expenses in cash.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

With mentions of 'forum etiquette' I feel I may have caused some discord. If so, I humbly apologise as this was not intended.

I have followed this delightful thread for some time and been throroughly amused by the meanderings and equally inspired by Rob's modelling. For my part, I do model and thoroughly appreciate that Bleat Wharf, like Rome is not a one day job.

A few years ago I exhibited a layout at the old Shepherd Neame brewery, at the end of the day expenses were paid  in the form of a collection of their very fine products.  I also did one at the Thamesmead pumping station - fortunately they paid expenses in cash.

No need to apologise, Steve. No discord here, only moleskin. All good. For the record, I will happily attend any exhibition where beer is offered as payment and I am both flattered and gratified that my rambling efforts offer some inspiration.

Rob

post-14122-0-50272100-1531339048_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-58136100-1531339318_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Nice Pannier  :declare:

I hold the previous owner entirely responsible.

Rob.