• RMweb Gold

No wool was harmed this evening but locomotives are moving under power on Bleat Wharf...

Rob.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony. Only difference being that I have removed one of the kick back sidings. Otherwise it is unchanged. It was getting a bit Clapham Junction so I pared things back a tad.

post-14122-0-94126100-1529701197_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Morning all..

Another John Wiltshire image to start the day off. I cannot fail to be impressed by the quality of these colour images.

I would love to have a go at capturing this scene.

Rob.

Can anyone help? I don't know what the loco is. I guessed Manning Wardle but the wheels look LNWR and wrong for an M W

Thanks in advance

Steve

Can anyone help? I don't know what the loco is.

Whatever it is, looking at the size of the chimney it looks as though it could eject the entire contents of Bristol in one single chuff!

P

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone help? I don't know what the loco is. I guessed Manning Wardle but the wheels look LNWR and wrong for an M W

Thanks in advance

Steve

Morning Steve. I haven't as yet identified the loco but the caption is as follows;

Derelict Steam shed Cambrian colliery Clydach Vale Rhondda 1967 by John Wiltshire.

I would suggest that the loco was photographed as it was when the pit closed in 1966.

Rob.

Edited by NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

Once again, this morning I am playing at shunting trains on Bleat Wharf.......poop poop.

Rob

• Like 4

Hi Tony. Only difference being that I have removed one of the kick back sidings. Otherwise it is unchanged. It was getting a bit Clapham Junction so I pared things back a tad.

Have to say I prefer the original. You have lost the feel of random development, in favour of blue era rationalised simplicity.

Mind you whatever you settle on, it'll still look "tidy"

Morning Steve. I haven't as yet identified the loco but the caption is as follows;

Derelict Steam shed Cambrian colliery Clydach Vale Rhondda 1967 by John Wiltshire.

I would suggest that the loco was photographed as it was when the pit closed in 1966.

Rob.

Thanks rob I can feel a google moment coming on

Best

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Thanks rob I can feel a google moment coming on

Best

Steve

Google Peter Brabham/ John Wiltshire or John Wiltshire Railway/ Industrial. Proper gems contained therein.

• RMweb Gold

Have to say I prefer the original. You have lost the feel of random development, in favour of blue era rationalised simplicity.

Mind you whatever you settle on, it'll still look "tidy"

Hi Tony. This is the original plan as submitted to the Cameo Comp. The siding in front of the Tin Offices had to go. When it came to putting track down it was simply too crowded and looked wrong.

The earlier photo of the mock up was also wrong. There was not enough width to extend the siding back behind the brick store. Again looked wrong. Much too crowded.

Having spent a couple of days playing with Bleat and running all sorts to check clearances, it works very well. It us the most complex of my layouts to date and to be honest I thought of chopping it back even more but this is how it will be.

As for 'blue era', I like the idea of that. I have a couple of S&DJR Bagnalls in Prussian blue and could backdate a 3F and a 4F to S&D black. Pre 1930........mmm..maybe next time.

As well as the S&D, Bleat will run as Ex-L&SWR, hence trials with Well tanks and 02s, in addition to the B4s which will be the main stay of the motive power. As such I have looked to the likes of Wenford Bridge, pretty basic facilities.

Let's not forget that Bleat Wharf was 're developed' prior to the British Railways era by the RAF which I hope accounts for the use of wriggly tin everywhere.

As I say I am happy with Bleat, moreso than when at the same stage with Mutton which came very close to not being completed as I was not happy with it at all.

Bleat will come together fine. It is after all, a bit of furniture with some track nailed to it, the same as Sheep Lane and Mutton.

Rob.

post-14122-0-53603600-1529785680_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Ah.......

Norman Lockhart provides us with one of his classic 'worms eye' views of a visiting Beattie Well Tank at Mutton.

One can almost smell the warm creosote from the sleepers and hear the drone of the insects as they flit from flower to flower.

The Beattie also smelt good. The warm oil mixing with the waft of smoke and steam.

Norman walked back to where he had left his trusty 1958 Triumph Tiger 110. Murray was tucked up in the garage at home. Days like this demanded two wheels. Norman popped his camera into the Craven pannier and donned his Everoak 'Corker'.

Norman tickled the carb and one kick delivered with purpose saw the Triumph erupt into life, settling into a steady tickover. Norman swung a leg over and deftly selected first. He looked back at the dear old Beattie and thought of the contrast between the Tiger and the Beattie.

Norman pulled away and headed for the lanes. The slickshift gear box lived up to its name and Norman felt quite good. A cup of tea beckoned but progress was needed if he were to get to the caff before Molly finished for the day. Hopefully Molly had kept him a Chelsea bun. Nothing better. A proper cup of tea, sugary bun and Molly chatting away as she buffed her urns.

Splendid.

Splendid indeed.  I read this just before heading out for a ride on my Royal Enfield Bullet.  Unfortunately, I observed no well tanks on my travels.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

"It is after all, a bit of furniture with some track nailed to it"

Quality statement, the whole hobby in a single phrase, brilliantly put.

Mine is more like some track glued to scrap wood, resting on top of furniture, but I agree; a brilliant summation of what we do!

• RMweb Gold

Splendid indeed.  I read this just before heading out for a ride on my Royal Enfield Bullet.  Unfortunately, I observed no well tanks on my travels.

Hi Mark. There is an undoubted link between classic vehicles and steam. I have often thought that there is a need for some 1950s/1960s bikes in 4mm. Good quality, accurate replicas would, I'm sure, sell well.

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It must be uncomfortable with a shell casing stuck in your crutch.  :biggrin_mini2:

• RMweb Gold

That's almost a denial, CK

That may or may not simply have been a statement (or non-statement) about the fact that I may or may not have been building (or not building) some track (or possibly some other item that may or may not have been said item of track) in the scale of 7mm to the foot or some other scale that can neither be confirmed nor denied.

Artistically speaking, it is not yet complete.