• RMweb Gold

Jonners, time to stop.

You're posting double.

Edited by NHY 581

• RMweb Premium

Brains man here, Cold Smooth or IPA and enjoying it, but I can tolerate a Worthington or two if push comes to shove.  In weather like this I am less than averse to a cold Guiness, of which more than 2 or 3 will have me staggering...

When actually modelling, though, I like to have a cool can of Mackeson on hand.  Traditionalist, me, and not impressed by the strength of beers, or 'craft ales', whatever those are.  Many of you, I know, will despair of me.

Brains man here, Cold Smooth or IPA and enjoying it, but I can tolerate a Worthington or two if push comes to shove.  In weather like this I am less than averse to a cold Guiness, of which more than 2 or 3 will have me staggering...

When actually modelling, though, I like to have a cool can of Mackeson on hand.  Traditionalist, me, and not impressed by the strength of beers, or 'craft ales', whatever those are.  Many of you, I know, will despair of me.

Looks good, tastes good and by golly it does you good.

• RMweb Premium

A few years ago, whilst enjoying a few days in The Big Apple I fell in love with Goose Island IPA,but am reluctant to pay UK prices, even supermarket chains.

I'm off to the Big Apple at the end of August, any tips beerwise?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks good, tastes good and by golly it does you good.

Ah, Mackeson!!  Long ago in my beer drinking days my regular hostelry used to stock the relatively rare pint bottles of it, just for m;, true service from the pub trade.  Alas that pub (The Red Cross Inn) long since ceased to be aa watering hole and is now a private house but amusing to reflect that 50 years ago this past week I would have been on annual leave in order to run the bar there when the pub was open all day, those were the days.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Agree Liam. King Goblin is a top beer. In the same vein is Old Crafty Hen from Moorland brewery. 6.5%. Spot on.

Black Sheep is also a favourite of mine.....no surprise there then.....

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can only drink Cider and we have some good ones around 8.5/9% around here (bottles and not too full of gas). However there are some quite lethal keg ones available at certain venues, for the unwary.

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can only drink Cider and we have some good ones around 8.5/9% around here (bottles and not too full of gas). However there are some quite lethal keg ones available at certain venues, for the unwary.

Phil 

ISTR a glass flagon on the bar at a pub near the Medway - was it Wouldham? It tipped to pour Liquid Dynamite, sold in very small measures. Bob Luck may have been the brand.

I'm off to the Big Apple at the end of August, any tips beerwise?

Other than the bars are a tad expensive......understandable If you're in Manhattan, I'd try a selection of decent beers, not the indigenous draft crap like Michelob, Coors etc. Have you been to NYC before ? Best big city I've visited, never felt unsafe, just a shortage of model shops in Manhattan.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

Track laying complete on Bleats scenic section. Rather hot I must say..Now relaxing with a couple of Pistonhead Swedish dark lagers. 6.0%. Hefty stuff but great straight from the fridge.

Rob.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Had a nice bottle of FelinFoel Double Dragon this evening and a Purple Moose Snowdonia Ale....

Beers to lay track to... :D

• RMweb Premium

I drink so little beer and have few opportunities to do so, but when I do venture to get a bottle or two, I do like a Spitfire, but really, I'm not that fussy. Don't like it too strong either, though.

You used to be able to get Spitfire in a German bar in Changchun, China.

Make of that what you will.

• RMweb Gold

You used to be able to get Spitfire in a German bar in Changchun, China.

Make of that what you will.

Nothing better than hearing a German tourist in a Shepherd Neame pub ask for a pint of Schpitfeuer! It happens!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Other than the bars are a tad expensive......understandable If you're in Manhattan, I'd try a selection of decent beers, not the indigenous draft crap like Michelob, Coors etc. Have you been to NYC before ? Best big city I've visited, never felt unsafe, just a shortage of model shops in Manhattan.

Brian R

No, not been before, I have googled a few watering holes in Manhattan, I don't think I will be over indulging at $10 or $12 a go. I don't know what measures they use, the Canadian's do pints.

• Like 1

No, not been before, I have googled a few watering holes in Manhattan, I don't think I will be over indulging at $10 or $12 a go. I don't know what measures they use, the Canadian's do pints.

We've stayed in some 'boutique hotels' in NYC, each had a small bar, and each did  a 'happy hour'...............albeit at the one, just off 5th the 'happy' bit didn't extend to the barman !

One thing you may notice is that 'Nooo Yoykers' are occasionally off hand, abrupt, even rude and you could easily be offended by their demeanour BUT it isn't personal, they seem to speak to each other in much the same way !

If it's your first time, consider getting tickets on the buses e.g. Grayline, and hop on and off, at most major landmarks e.g. the Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, Battery Park, Times Square, Central Park etc etc

Around Times Square there's almost a police officer for every visitor !

We took a boat trip to Ellis Island - interesting, but chose not to alight at Liberty Island as in my opinion, you can view Lady Liberty better from a distance, not from her feet ! A very good, and cheaper view can be had from the frequent Staten Island ferry.

Now we've exhausted the tourist trails, we chill at bars and restaurants in places like Greenwich Village etc, all by jumping off a 'Grayline' or similar bus.

I'll never tire of NYC - even if the missus has !

Enjoy

Edited by br2975

• RMweb Gold

I'm pleased to say that a small squadron of Spitfires has now flown in and is safely ensconced in the hanger, awaiting further orders.

Bloody good show!

post-14122-0-98899200-1531151223.jpg

• Like 4