5 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Would it be too much work to raise the trackwork by 5mm? That would give the opportunity for a little more relief to be introduced to the scenic area.

Just wonderin'.

Hiho. . . . May I suggest checking the 5mm lift would still let your tallest wagon get into the shed ?

Don't want to solve one problem by creating another :huh:

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Fishplate said:

Hiho. . . . May I suggest checking the 5mm lift would still let your tallest wagon get into the shed ?

John

I have and it does, John. 

Good spot. That would have been a massive fail. But, the games ahoof. 

Rob. 

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

Important point. I recall a new structure at London Bridge, housing the station announcer on the Eastern side, failed to meet Blue Book clearances from the track and had to be revised on site. 

Then there was the new carriage-washing plant at Hither Green in the late '80s, which, when the first train was driven through - knocked the horns off....

And thinking back to 1967, I'm sure there was a new track layout for the spur from Cannon Street to Metropolitan Junction. When the first train tested it at walking pace, it derailed....

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I think I've mentioned before that we once tried to create a position in a new organisation called Area Rolling Stock & Overhead Line Engineer.

Circa 1995, I did indeed have the job title "The Assistant Rolling Stock Engineer" - for a few years till reorganisation moved me to an Infraco as part of a Private Public Partnership arrangement!

Regards

Chris H

• Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Clearances:  I once worked for a local authority that created a bus station where the bays were too small for any of the buses on the road at the time of design.  It also built a goods unloading bay at the rear of a shopping mall, the height clearance of which meant that no HGV trailer could be unloaded without it rising enough on its suspension to wedge it between the road surface at the concrete downstand above.

Acronyms:  A friend was once involved with the abortive attempt to create a university college in Fife with campuses in different towns.  Each campus would be known by a different four character ID; the first three would be for Fife University College with the fourth being the first letter of the town where it was located.  One location was Kirkcaldy; the management didn't see the problem until it was spelled out for them ....

Hope that amuses you.

Regards,

Alex.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 18

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I have and it does, John. 

Good spot. That would have been a massive fail. But, the games ahoof. 

Rob. 

You could try building the baseboards 5mm lower?

Hat, coat.................. gone!

Martyn

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

In a similar vein to my earlier post, the following should tell you all you need to know about the people I 'work' for:

At present we have two 'divisions', known for short as FI and FN.  From the end of the month they are to be united into one, known as FA.  This means that from the 1st of July we will have a head of FA!

You really could not make this up.

Regards,

Alex.

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Important point. I recall a new structure at London Bridge, housing the station announcer on the Eastern side, failed to meet Blue Book clearances from the track and had to be revised on site. 

Then there was the new carriage-washing plant at Hither Green in the late '80s, which, when the first train was driven through - knocked the horns off....

And thinking back to 1967, I'm sure there was a new track layout for the spur from Cannon Street to Metropolitan Junction. When the first train tested it at walking pace, it derailed....

In the late 1980s we introduced some new engineers' wagons (well, not actually new but conversions) which were soon banned from the West Coastway route after some platform copings were knocked off, in spite of us proving beyond reasonable doubt that the wagons were within gauge.

A year or so later, class 159 DMUs were diagrammed for the same route.

Guess what?

Edited by St Enodoc
for not fro
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Hi again,

In a similar vein to my earlier post, the following should tell you all you need to know about the people I 'work' for:

At present we have two 'divisions', known for short as FI and FN.  From the end of the month they are to be united into one, known as FA.  This means that from the 1st of July we will have a head of FA!

You really could not make this up.

Regards,

Alex.

Is there an office sweepstake as to the date from which the use of his/her full title will be insisted upon?:jester:

John

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Alex TM said:

This means that from the 1st of July we will have a head of FA!

Elsewhere on RMweb we have a rather talented modeller whose surname is Sweet. I don't suppose he'll be applying to be Sweet FA. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Is there an office sweepstake as to the date from which the use of his/her full title will be insisted upon?:jester:

John

It may be too late for them to try ....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Alex TM said:

This means that from the 1st of July we will have a head of FA!

Sweet...

Al.

EDIT: Aargh!That'll teach me to read all the posts before commenting, I see Ian has already done that one... :punish:

Edited by Alister_G
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Nice! I have one that has either been dropped or something has been dropped on it, but it still runs. It's in a sort of transition at the moment, but will live to fight another day. They always were a little noisy, if they aren't noisy, they're a non runner!

• NHY 581 changed the title to The Sheep Chronicles : These are the continuing adventures of a sheep, the works forecat and their official photographer, Norman Lockhart, connoisseur of traditional British breakfasts and well filled baps.
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, LDM34046 said:

Looks excellent @NHY 581 as always

Always been put off by those Pugs due to the age of the model but with a good service, weather and detail they look just at home as the others

Superb!

Morning LD. 

I can take no credit ( yet ) for the weathering which is to the Hornby factory applied ' farm yard drive through ' standard. 

However, I do plan to have a tinker at some point. I am also considering whether or not to pluck up the courage to remove the chimney and replace with one from Wizard models, along with a rather nice turned brass whistle, both 'in stock'. 

For now though, I'm happy to play trains. 

Rob

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all. 

A few more images of pugnacious pugness. 

Rob. 

20210703_223836-01.jpeg

20210703_223903-01.jpeg

20210703_224342-02.jpeg

Very nice Rob.

I'd be interested in seeing the Pug next to a bit of Peckettry, just as a comparison?

Al.

34 minutes ago, Phil Waterfield said:

Pug and Peckett comparison.

Peckett Pug mr.jpg

Very redolent of Radstock (S&D). On an occaisions when one of Barrow Roads twins

went on "holiday", to cover for Radstock's Sentinel. I would think.

And perhaps, your backstory, Rob.

TONY

ps I've a tatty Pug, already missing a funnel, if you want some practice before attacking yours.

• Like 4