• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

According to Mrs Stationmaster - who comes from a long line of folk from both Cornwall and Devon, alas including a relative who spent time in Bodmin gaol before taking an all expenses paid trip to Australia - jam first is the Cornish way, cream first is the Devonian way.

Apparently this is because Devon Cream is inferior, so they try to hide it....

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

Carnage reigns at Chateau Sheep. 

Our Master builder has arrived at sparrowfart and the upgrading of the catering facilities has commenced. 

A phone call yesterday from our MB advised that the agreed start of some three weeks hence had been brought forward..........We dismantled the kitchen yesterday afternoon/ last night/early this morning...

Much banging and crashing. We now have a temporary field kitchen in the state dining room. 

Onward and upward. 

Rob. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Ahh new fitted kitchens, what fun. We were there 8 years ago.

As the weeks past and we slowly managed to install an IKEA kitchen, mostly on our own. With just plumbers and electricians to help out. It's quite amazing how we got through it and still remained married. Nurse, allen key. Nurse, screwdriver. Nurse, hammer. Nurse, bigger hammer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Gedward said:

As the weeks past and we slowly managed to install an IKEA kitchen, mostly on our own. With just plumbers and electricians to help out. It's quite amazing how we got through it and still remained married. Nurse, allen key. Nurse, screwdriver. Nurse, hammer. Nurse, bigger hammer.

Nurse, flamethrower...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, 2E Sub Shed said:

With a Devon Pasty as well ?  Pasties are from Devon  🙂

At this juncture, I would like to reassure all readers that the pasties served at the RMWeb Taunton Members Days, despite being purchased in Devon, are actually made in Cornwall (and not in Callington, either!).

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Morning George,

We have an IKEA kitchen ready to install.( no surprise there really )  Memsahib will be building the units. She's a dab hand at it as she used to manage the kitchen deparment in local IKEA. 

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/07/2022 at 20:43, Graham T said:

There is no other way than the one demonstrated by Captain K, surely?

Plus, there's a practical reason for jam on first - it's easier to spread cream on top of jam than the other way round!

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning George,

We have an IKEA kitchen ready to install.( no surprise there really )  Memsahib will be building the units. She's a dab hand at it as she used to manage the kitchen deparment in local IKEA. 

As you know the house is on the market right now. And the IKEA kitchen is getting the most likes.

Screenshot 2022-07-12 at 10.15.23.png

Edited by Gedward
Image edit
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Your kitchen news has inspired me to do something that has gained me mucho brownie points.

As we rent, choice of kitchen is not down to us, but it's a nice contemporary one anyway.

Spoilt only by the fit of all the doors, some of which don't stay closed. 

I've just spent a few minutes with a screwdriver and got them all realigned spot on. It's almost like a new kitchen and no need to prime the flamethrower.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Your kitchen news has inspired me to do something that has gained me mucho brownie points.

As we rent, choice of kitchen is not down to us, but it's a nice contemporary one anyway.

Spoilt only by the fit of all the doors, some of which don't stay closed. 

I've just spent a few minutes with a screwdriver and got them all realigned spot on. It's almost like a new kitchen and no need to prime the flamethrower.

The very definition of minimum effort for maximum effect, well done!

Al.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

We have an IKEA kitchen, fitted by the previous owners. It's terrible - they chose gloss black doors, which are virtually impossible to keep clean, they show every single finger mark...

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Nick C said:

We have an IKEA kitchen, fitted by the previous owners. It's terrible - they chose gloss black doors, which are virtually impossible to keep clean, they show every single finger mark...

Bit of wet and dry paper will fix that 🙂

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

6 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Brownie points need to be cashed in quickly Rob, as I'm sure you know.  They have a very short shelf-life!

Is that the voice of experience or the knowledge that we have to hurry up before we do something stupid or buy something stupid which cancels them out?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Plus, there's a practical reason for jam on first - it's easier to spread cream on top of jam than the other way round!

I don't think anyone's mentioned yet that it has to be clotted cream, of course.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gedward said:

As you know the house is on the market right now. And the IKEA kitchen is getting the most likes.

Screenshot 2022-07-12 at 10.15.23.png

I like the way you've used the large mirror to make the room look bigger. We've one about the same size in our lounge, which also (unintentionally but usefully) reflects light from the window into a dark corner of the room.

• Like 4