• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Likewise. I have been described as an outdoor cat that scrubs up well.

We appear to be from similar stock.........

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Alex, 

The Great Eastern lines are the exception. They are allowed......and welcomed, especially those of a weedier backwater persuasion. 

However, further exception is granted to J94s, once again if frequenting weedy rundown backwaters.

Rob. 

They had some nice small locos. This one seems to have had the weathering a bit overdone. Sorry it's not in a bucolic, rural setting.

GE Y5 040T 8081 Stratford 2 8 1947.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
Just now, phil_sutters said:

They had some nice small locos. This one seems to have had the weathering a bit overdone.

Morning Phil, 

Splendid photo. I take it one of Dad's? 

Rob. 

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Phil, 

Splendid photo. I take it one of Dad's? 

Rob. 

Yes. His LNER photos are mainly from our brief time living in Ripon around 1950, but there are a few from further south.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've got an old Stephen Poole kit for one of those.  Now I know where the coal goes !

On the subject of kits, is 1197 ( in the realistic modelling thread ) the old Gem kit ?  Has it joined the Sheep Dip roster ?

Rodney

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

They had some nice small locos. This one seems to have had the weathering a bit overdone. Sorry it's not in a bucolic, rural setting.

Whoever prepped that didn't want to have to go back to the coaling stage later!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, RodneyS said:

I've got an old Stephen Poole kit for one of those.  Now I know where the coal goes !

On the subject of kits, is 1197 ( in the realistic modelling thread ) the old Gem kit ?  Has it joined the Sheep Dip roster ?

Rodney

Hi Rodders, 

Yes, it's on the books. Pretty certain it is the GEM kit.  It's not intended for Sheep Dip but I've always liked the real loco.

I've not lifted the body but from below,  there looks to be quite a decent gear box within.  

It runs well, very smooth, but could be better. A bit stoppy starty. I suspect the pick ups.

However, I won't tinker for now. Too many other things on the go at present. 

Rob. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, RodneyS said:

Rodney

You will need to equip the fireman with a hefty coal hammer.

There used to be a nice shiny Y5 at the North Woolwich Transport Museum, before it closed. Where is it now?

Saddle tank 229 GER North Woolwich Old Station Museum Apr 1996.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

However, further exception is granted to J94s, once again if frequenting weedy rundown backwaters.

Especially the type of Austerity tank that never belonged to the LNER and went straight into industrial service.

NCB, dear boy, NCB!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Quite right, too!

Alternatively, you could blow a raspberry at them, or ask them what their favourite colour is.

Can go off people you know...

(Saxony Green)

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Mike_Walker said:

Apparently it's undergoing a protracted overhaul at the Flour Mill, Bream, Glos.

Spent most of it's life in Chepstow, so The Flour Mill isn't far from it's spiritual home.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/neilson-co-works-no-2119-great-eastern-railway-229-0-4-0st/

Jason

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 13/07/2022 at 17:44, NHY 581 said:

the exit.

My favourite part of Ikea. Or any retail 'experience' come to think of it. I used to spend many hours with Mrs Fishplate in such circumstances.

Do you realise how little interest the average store assistant displays on being advised that the sum total of my time in their shop has not resulted in any purchases? However I am able to tell them how many ceiling tiles, light fittings and air conditioning units are suspended above their head. My wife then generally apologises for my presence.

The net result is I haven't 'gone shopping' for many years.

I commend this method to the House.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

My favourite part of Ikea. Or any retail 'experience' come to think of it. I used to spend many hours with Mrs Fishplate in such circumstances.

Do you realise how little interest the average store assistant displays on being advised that the sum total of my time in their shop has not resulted in any purchases? However I am able to tell them how many ceiling tiles, light fittings and air conditioning units are suspended above their head. My wife then generally apologises for my presence.

The net result is I haven't 'gone shopping' for many years.

I commend this method to the House.

Mange Tout, Fishpaste. 

Perhaps one should explore the modelling opportunities that IKEA presents. Far more enjoyable and will make your visits more palatable.

Examples;

LACK  table tops and shelves- Baseboards and fiddle yards. Five layouts so far. 

Magazine racks- Wait for it.....magazine racks. 

Drawer units-storage. 

Wooden storage boxes- Stock boxes. 

Various fittings- baseboard joiners and lots of other uses. 

Wooden Sewing box- tool box/paint box.

Plate shelves- useful for stock shelf in fiddle yards. 

See it as an opportunity rather than a chore. 

Rob. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, durham light infantry said:

I can thoroughly reccomend the corner desk, very ergonomic. The bookcases are great open storage and layout supports.

20200809_202321.thumb.jpg.6331a3e2633a333632b0cee08eda35dd.jpg20200809_202229.thumb.jpg.777182f265f60f00835be9517159cde9.jpg20200809_202334.thumb.jpg.756efb0acab4924e570129ab7f67cf8f.jpg

Gold Star, Mike.  👍

Sheep Lane's looking spot on and in itself proves the longevity of using IKEA shelves as baseboards........seven years and counting. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Gold Star, Mike.  👍

Sheep Lane's looking spot on and in itself proves the longevity of using IKEA shelves as baseboards........seven years and counting. 

I didn't realise you could count as well..bien fait mon joli mouton....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I didn't realise you could count as well..bien fait mon joli mouton....

Merci beaucoup mon petite Gilbo. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Regrettably when a new branch of Ikea opened on the outskirts of Reading some years back the exit process from the car park was so popular that some people took over 90 minutes to get out.  The local re-telling of 'my Ikea car park experience' probably assumed the same sort of status as 'he bomb that didn't get me' stories of WWII.

Won't work for me as I've never been in one.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

pigeon français ne vieillit jamais....

I used to occasionally work with an SNCF bloke called pigeon although his name was spelt in the French version -  so Monsieur Pichon.  He did the platform working at Paris Gare du Nord - far less messily than his avian namesakes..

• Informative/Useful 1