Oxfordrail Wagons

Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold

Appears to be no risk of buffer locking when the wagons negotiate any curve.

That's the case with all r-t-r wagons. Shorter chopper couplings are available but they don't deserve to be taken seriously whatever length size they are. 

I've just binned half a coffee jar of the stupid things. 

John

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

A source has informed me we may seen some visible progress on these wagons (Very) soon.

Your source was correct . . . . Phil Parker on MRE has a very detailed photo review of the open wagons here

http://www.mremag.com/index.php/reviews/15-oo/208-oxofrdprodwagons

Also read his editorial on the main page

http://www.mremag.com/index.php

Because unpainted and scuffed up, bleached and dirt encrusted timber is very difficult to represent? I'd prefer a very light grey as a better starting point.

Because unpainted and scuffed up, bleached and dirt encrusted timber is very difficult to represent? I'd prefer a very light grey as a better starting point.

No its not, look at the interiors of the San Juan freight cars, mind you they will cost you more than £8+.

Loconuts

Your source was correct . . . . Phil Parker on MRE has a very detailed photo review of the open wagons herehttp://www.mremag.com/index.php/reviews/15-oo/208-oxofrdprodwagonsAlso read his editorial on the main pagehttp://www.mremag.com/index.php.

They look excellent. Great value for money! Get some BR liveries and I will snap them up at that price

Linkie please? All I can find are O and On30 tank cars, which while very fine in general appearance have a distinct lack of woodeness, and no visible interior...

Sorry guys, these were the Gondolas, Tube cars and Bottom Drop cars and were done in a limited batch of each.  If I get the chance I will post photos on this site.

Manufacturers should paint the inside of their wagons leather colour so that weathering can be applied by the modeller.

They look excellent. Great value for money! Get some BR liveries and I will snap them up at that price

Why wait for Oxford Rail to turn out BR livery ones, they are already available from Bachmann.  If you buy the six pack from Rails of Sheffield they work out about the same price as the Oxford Rail PO wagons.  They are a more accurate representation of the prototype than the Oxford Rail wagon and you can have it now.

Loconuts

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask the experts here if the liveries used on these wagons are authentic ?

There are plenty of sources to assist you to find the photographs these were based on; try the wonderful index provided by Manchester MRS on the Lightmoor Press webpage.

The Fear Bros is based on the photo on page 42 of Turton, Keith (2004) Private Owner wagons a third collection. 128pp Publ Lightmoor Press, Oxfordshire ISBN 1 899889 16 7.

The model livery is a close match to a b/w photo of No. 95 from 1938 at Staines SR. Yes 7plank, end door with the bar above the end but the top flap door is not the same which should put many off.

Paul

There are plenty of sources to assist you to find the photographs these were based on; try the wonderful index provided by Manchester MRS on the Lightmoor Press webpage.

The Fear Bros is based on the photo on page 42 of Turton, Keith (2004) Private Owner wagons a third collection. 128pp Publ Lightmoor Press, Oxfordshire ISBN 1 899889 16 7.

The model livery is a close match to a b/w photo of No. 95 from 1938 at Staines SR. Yes 7plank, end door with the bar above the end but the top flap door is not the same which should put many off.

Paul

I ordered 3 versions when they were first announced as I liked the look of the brake gear. Unfortunately they didn't all make the same slow boat from China so I will be paying for postage twice.  Nice to know the Fear Bros. paint scheme was extent in 1938 as I will be treating my examples to the rigors of the next 9 years so they look like they have survived the WW2 conscription of PO wagons and haphazard repairs. Use as part of a national pool of PO wagons is the only way I can explain a Fears Bros. wagon being found at the far reach of the withered arm at Padstow in 1947.

I am going to guess this wagon would have white lettering in the lower left "FB 95" and an almost unrecognizable Fear Bros paint scheme with a few raw but weathered repair planks. 

I don't have access to the photo referenced above but would it possibly have a "London cut" reducing the height of the wagon doors by a plank?

Archived