Oxfordrail Wagons

Neal Ball

Even many of Hornby's older main range wagons (e.g. the ones with Ginormous moulded couplings!) are expensive these days.

Such as this poor example:

The Oxford ones are streets ahead of that!...

That's as maybe. Hornby have long exploited their brand name to sell atrocious old tat for silly money.

But what is the best competing model, and for what price can that be got? Versions of the superior Bachmann product available new from £7.50 ...

• RMweb Premium

That's as maybe. Hornby have long exploited their brand name to sell atrocious old tat for silly money.

But what is the best competing model, and for what price can that be got? Versions of the superior Bachmann product available new from £7.50 ...

Even Ian Allan Brum have a good selection of Bachmann open wagons starting around the OxfordRail price and IMHO superior print quality.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Can't seem to find any up here in Bonnie Scotland. Hoping I might see some at Ayr Model Railway Show on Saturday.. I'd probably buy one or two to test them out.

Value for Money..................right up my street!

A review with a bit of a difference, not just of a brand new product to the 00 gauge market, but a whole New Company and Brand! Oxford Rail, with their first Ready to Run Wagon.
For a Company that announced they were joining the 00 gauge Market at the end of 2014, they sure have progressed in leaps and bound over the past few month. 
Here we take a look at one of the first models to be released, the 7 Plank Private Owner Wagon, in E. Welford & Son Livery. With a high level of detail, both in plastic and metal, at amazing value for money, it is a must for any modeller! 
Really looking forward to see many future products from Oxford Rail, and hopefully their first Ready to Run locomotive very soon. 
Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byql2rlSqnM

post-20663-0-79517200-1442263012_thumb.gif

The first three wagons certainly are impressive, especially considering that these were announced at the beginning of the year. Only thing that put me off when I first saw them at my local shop was that the the wooden bracing at the ends of the wagons was a seperate moulding rather than part of the main moulding. Bar this minor issue, they look excellent. Really looking forward to seeing what other wagons and rolling stock they tackle now. Certainly a force to reckon with now...!! :)

Only thing that put me off when I first saw them at my local shop was that the the wooden bracing at the ends of the wagons was a seperate moulding rather than part of the main moulding. Bar this minor issue, they look excellent.

Could you explain your issue with that? Maybe Im not seeing it how you are, but the bracing is supposed to be a seperate piece of wood, and therefore, would look best if not part of the end mouldings.

Or is your issue with the positioning of them, and maybe Oxford isnt as consistent as you expected?

Could you explain your issue with that? Maybe Im not seeing it how you are, but the bracing is supposed to be a seperate piece of wood, and therefore, would look best if not part of the end mouldings.

Or is your issue with the positioning of them, and maybe Oxford isnt as consistent as you expected?

I agree this to me isn't an issue however I see where he is coming from in respect to the fact that I have seen at least two where this end strapping isn't even in the box, it's simply two moulded attachment studs (somewhat Lego like) and no straps, that is an issue with separate straps however I think the bigger issue is lack of glue.

Still looking forward to getting one though as, other than that, they look really good.

• RMweb Premium

A review with a bit of a difference, not just of a brand new product to the 00 gauge market, but a whole New Company and Brand! Oxford Rail, with their first Ready to Run Wagon.

For a Company that announced they were joining the 00 gauge Market at the end of 2014, they sure have progressed in leaps and bound over the past few month. 

Here we take a look at one of the first models to be released, the 7 Plank Private Owner Wagon, in E. Welford & Son Livery. With a high level of detail, both in plastic and metal, at amazing value for money, it is a must for any modeller! 

Really looking forward to see many future products from Oxford Rail, and hopefully their first Ready to Run locomotive very soon. 

Hope you enjoy!

The white on that wagon looks more opaque than the one I bought and that was the best of the ones in the shop.

Looks like some inconsistency amongst the production, quality control needs a bit of an upgrade!

Keith

Sorry my apologies. When I was first looking at the wagons a few weeks ago, one of the wagons bracings had fallen off during transit (this is what I forgot to mention earlier...). While I know it's a minor issue can be rectified with a touch of glue, I'd thought it would have been more logic to have the bracing as part of the wagon body itself. Either way I am still impressed with them. :)

The white on that wagon looks more opaque than the one I bought and that was the best of the ones in the shop.

Looks like some inconsistency amongst the production, quality control needs a bit of an upgrade!

Keith

Hi Keith, when editing my review I noticed the same, but it appears to be the camera. When filming the review with the wagon in the flesh, the white text seemed fine. Also watching it back the red seems pale too, but again I believe this is down to the camera. It did the same when I reviews my ESSO Sentinel, which looked almost see through  :jester:

I have the three wagons in front of me here now & the pink tinge is noticeable.

You can also clearly see the black of the strapping coming through the white as well as the red.

The printing quality seems to be varied & some are more noticeable than others.

In reality these wagons would be pretty grotty in everyday use but I can understand how it would make a big difference to someone wanting them for display purposes.

I'm sure the Oxford will be aware of the problem but it would do no harm to let them know so that they can correct it for future releases.

Having said all that they are very nice models at a reasonable price.

I think it's been said earlier, but I'd hazard one that the reason for separate strapping is so they can more readily do those with steel end stanchions (which tended to be the railway owned ones, though not exclusively).

Well that's something new to me... never knew that some wagons were built with steel end stanchions!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you enjoy!

Couldn't resist purchasing one of these little gems after seeing your review, Callum.

post-20657-0-91132700-1443971375_thumb.jpg

A mightily impressive wealth of detail, although the aformentioned issue of transparency on the main body is rife with my one. Still very pleased though.

Regards,

Matt

• RMweb Premium

I see that today's MREMag reports on the sell out of the first deliveries and the decision to speed up the wagon delivery programme.

http://www.mremag.com/index.php/news/375-newoxofrdrun

That's very encouraging , as I want Oxford Rail to have success and shake up the existing players,especially when it comes to reasonable detail at a price. I've still not managed to see any for sale up here in Scotland , though.

Regarding the latest announcement by Oxford Rail's latest wagons. I am afraid it is another poor choice of livery by Oxford. The F Warren of London wagon is based on a pre 1908 prototype and would heve ceased to exist shortly after that as F Warren merged with T Coote to form the massive Coote & Warren of Peterborough in 1908. All wagons would have been repainted into Coote & Warren livery by the early 1910's. Of course this livery will be applied to a post 1923 RCH wagon which is pure fiction.

Tony

Regarding the latest announcement by Oxford Rail's latest wagons. I am afraid it is another poor choice of livery by Oxford. The F Warren of London wagon is based on a pre 1908 prototype and would heve ceased to exist shortly after that as F Warren merged with T Coote to form the massive Coote & Warren of Peterborough in 1908. All wagons would have been repainted into Coote & Warren livery by the early 1910's. Of course this livery will be applied to a post 1923 RCH wagon which is pure fiction.

Tony

As long as it sells, and I'm sure there will be plenty of people willing to buy it, then commerically it isn't a poor choice. The point of picking a PO wagon as the first model is you can sell it in lots of different colours to keep the cash flow going. Let's face it, that's what Dapol does with their far poorer wagon model.

Archived