Oxfordrail Wagons

Neal Ball

Depends how it's done. An honest critical appraisal, preferably referenced, is useful and welcomed, particularly if suggestions for improvements are made.

It is now what it is, you're an adult, make a rational decision to purchase or not. After that, Caveat Emptor.

Endless ranting, toys out of pram, parentage of suppliers questioned etc. is not welcome.

Endless ranting, toys out of pram, parentage of suppliers questioned etc. is not welcome.

I have rarely, if ever, seen this. I have seen people try to portray a critical assessment as the above, but that is a very different thing.

ROB

Not knowing the wagon livery all I could say is it's nice and crisp though the 8ton mark seems odd as the wagon looks like a 10 or 12 ton design. The over long looking buffers seem too 'modern' and should probably have a bigger round base for the timber beam. The brake gear and levers look very good and not too delicate for typical layout use. The extra corner angle at the bottom of the non door corner has been questioned before and I have seen similar on a wagon in it's last days of BR ownship so maybe not suitable for a new pristine livery like this.

For a first try this is not bad and I hope we get more wagons to this sort of quality but with a bit more research.

How about some BR liveried ones and some faded ex PO liveries in BR condition.

Dave Franks

I have rarely, if ever, seen this. I have seen people try to portray a critical assessment as the above, but that is a very different thing.

ROB

Well I have, more than once.

Edit: Dave's appraisal above is a model for a useful and informative critique. Errors pointed out, some positives noted, non ranting. Helpful in making an informed purchasing decision.

I got mine today (rural Bulgaria).  I ordered from them direct because I couldn't find a model shop with the Austin 7 in stock, which I also wanted.  To my unknowledgeable eyes, it looks good.  If I get a chance later, I wil put Kadees in and set the green Terrier on it try a bit of shunting with it.

Love the running gear - hmmmmm - just wondering if I could splice my ('Parkside') L.G.W cottages onto these undergubbins, guarantee reliable and uniform running and riding characteristics....

Seems to run well over my not particularly well-laid track.  I think that the wheels must be similar to either Bachmann or Dapol because they don't seem to derail on points, unlike some ready-to-run wagons.

I am trying Kadee number 18s with them for now.  (Minimum radius on the layout is 30".)  The NEM pockets seem to be good; I didn't need to use a spot of glue to keep the couplings from drooping.

There is a database on RMWEB of source photos of PO wagon liveries here.

The reason for the 8 ton load marking on the model is that the prototype Welford & Son wagon 44 was a five plank wagon with rounded ends which bears little resemblance to the model (although the livery matches) - "Private Owner Wagons", Bill Hudson, Oakwood, 1996, page 37 .  Usual story, old livery on RCH 1923 wagon so 0/10 for research I'm afraid. 

There is a database on RMWEB of source photos of PO wagon liveries here.

The reason for the 8 ton load marking on the model is that the prototype Welford & Son wagon 44 was a five plank wagon with rounded ends which bears little resemblance to the model (although the livery matches) - "Private Owner Wagons", Bill Hudson, Oakwood, 1996, page 37 .  Usual story, old livery on RCH 1923 wagon so 0/10 for research I'm afraid. 

Given that

• much of the market for these wagons will be collectors- of whom the majority if my collector friends are a representative sample won't care so long as it is pretty and not too large an edition
  • and  that the wagon is considerably cheaper than Dapol, Hornby and Bachmann - none of whom have a 100% track record in this respect

is anyone surprised, and will it affect sales?

Les

Model Rail review example didn't do very well , some critical points on their sample.

Overlong couplings and translucent White letter printing with a pink shade due to base colour  showing through. They also commented on the moulding faults as mentioned by Adrian Abs a while back.

On seeing the above photo, that example is missing paint around the corner rivets as well.  Still a bargain at the price.

After receiving the first of 3 ordered, the challenge is now to to modify, distress and weather to resemble such wagon post WW 2. Planks replaced, weathered and unpainted.coal dust and soot. WW 2 PO lettering. Side doors modified. That's the way we ought to run this wagon.

• RMweb Premium

Not selling too well according to a retailer I was speaking to.

He thought they weren't different enough to set them apart from Bachmann. I would tend to agree as there are plenty of Bachmann wagons just like them.

I bought a couple and think they are good value at the price but I found I had to check through the stock to find ones in pristine condition as there was definitely variations in the printing of the names on the wagons, some were more opaque than others.

I also noted that the buffers were not quite straight on some.

Keith

After receiving the first of 3 ordered, the challenge is now to to modify, distress and weather to resemble such wagon post WW 2. Planks replaced, weathered and unpainted.coal dust and soot. WW 2 PO lettering. Side doors modified. That's the way we ought to run this wagon.

I finally found my copy of the "4 mm Coal Wagon" and then found that my fiberglass (fibreglass?) brush/pen was out of bristle. So next sometime week I will be able to attack the 1938 Fear Bros. pristine paint job and add nine hard war and immediate post war years to it.  Question would the white ownership lettering on lower left replacement boards have been "FB" or spelled out "Fear Bros" 

To add to my knowledge of 1942-47 condition of PO wagons does anyone know of a web archive of unclassified wagon photos from that period. Even after 1947 I would think these were not too quickly repainted with a black patch and "P" number.

The pink hue of the white lettering on the examples I saw put me off a little. I agree that Oxfordrail might have done better to go for a noticeably different diagram of open wagon for these. The price is very attractive though, and actually they might prove a good source of 'toys' for the younger generation expanding their train sets. They are certainly better than a lot of the Hornby Railroad wagons that are often more expensive.

To add to my knowledge of 1942-47 condition of PO wagons does anyone know of a web archive of unclassified wagon photos from that period. Even after 1947 I would think these were not too quickly repainted with a black patch and "P" number.

Some useful links here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98875-wooden-bodied-mineral-wagons/page-2

• RMweb Premium

The pink hue of the white lettering on the examples I saw put me off a little. I agree that Oxfordrail might have done better to go for a noticeably different diagram of open wagon for these. The price is very attractive though, and actually they might prove a good source of 'toys' for the younger generation expanding their train sets. They are certainly better than a lot of the Hornby Railroad wagons that are often more expensive.

Even many of Hornby's older main range wagons (e.g. the ones with Ginormous moulded couplings!) are expensive these days.

Such as this poor example:

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/wagons-coaches/freight-wagons/coltness-iron-co-4-plank.html

The Oxford ones are streets ahead of that!

Keith

Archived