Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

I've just had an email from Hornby confirming the release of a Merchant Navy in 2016. The link does not yet however link to the actual news story so maybe it's not posted yet. What's interesting is that it is a 2016 release:

Following some speculation, Hornby is proud to announce the inclusion of the un-rebuilt Merchant Navy as part of the Hornby 2016 range. 

To read more go to the full article where you can see a sneak peak of the designs!

Now confirmed in email from Hornby:

"Following some speculation, Hornby is proud to announce the inclusion of the un-rebuilt Merchant Navy as part of the Hornby 2016 range.

To read more go to the full article where you can see a sneak peak of the designs!"

http://Hornby.hornbynews.com/2DJZ-63H1-JS3U3-2653V-1/c.aspx

Edited by dcroz
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Which means it is now a dead cert that Bachmann are announcing one next week as well.

I don;t care about competition regulations - they are silly - please manufacturers TALK TO EACH OTHER (even if it involves darkened deserted car parks and flashing headlights at each other ala old spy movies!!) and avoid stupid pointless duplication!!!

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 2

Looks like an Early 1st series to me judging by the cab shape as well as the front design.

I believe 3 engines had this style front to begin with, prior to modification (Please correct me if I'm wrong):

21C1 Channel Packet

21C2 Union Castle

21C3 Royal Mail

Going from this photo: http://www.semgonline.com/steam/pics/mm_21c3.jpg

Considering Bachmann have the CAD for the 3rd series it looks like direct duplication is avoided so far, if Bachmann do an Original Merchant Navy that is...

And sorry to be pedantic, but shouldn't it be called a Original Merchant Navy, rather than Unrebuilt? As to my mind 'Unrebuilt' implies the engine was rebuilt, then converted back. Though that may just be me...

Regards,

Matt

Edited by TheSoutherner

• RMweb Premium

So   IF   it comes to pass that we get two air-smoothed Merchant Navys announced this year will all those "pro-choice" people above be happy that the duplication means a "loss" of a production slot and, presumably, lesser profits for both companies ?

This is indeed the risk of duplication. Personally I would rather we had no (or limited) duplication, what I think is wrong is that over the last few months there seems to be a certain body of opinion that Hornby are going around copying others and with some sort of sinister big company bullying smaller companies under current to much of the comment. I do not see Hornby are any more right or wrong than their competitors when they end up announcing the same models. As has been said, there are fewer big hitter subjects to model without duplicating somebody (especially in diesel traction) and whilst enthusiasts want the less glamorous types it appears that in terms of sales and supporting a business it is the top link stuff that banks the money. The alternative to unfortunate co-incidences like this would be some sort of cartel with manufacturers getting together to carve up the market, that'd fall foul of laws I think and it would not really help modellers either if the market was a cartel. At the moment the UK model rail market is highly competitive and the winners in this competitive market are us consumers.

• Like 3

Let's look at this another way perhaps.

Hornby has been going through some major supply issues, during that time they would have had several models that they wanted to produce but felt they couldn't proceed on because of the issues they had.

If during that period some of these plans were being leaked between the various Chinese factories as has been hinted with regards all the companies then it is possible that the other manufacturers were trying to steal a march on Hornby whilst they were sorting themselves out.

In which case what has been happening with the radial, King, 71 and now MN is that Hornby are claiming their models back and reasserting themselves in the market. Add in N gauge and that makes Hornby look to be in rude health and confident.

• Like 4

The Hornby superdetail rebuilt Clan Line was released in 1999 - I can't believe it was over 15 years ago. At the time I remember the hope/anticipation that an unrebuilt one would follow. I wonder how many hopeful modellers have passed on in the decade and a half that it has taken?

• RMweb Gold

I can confirm that Hornby have been working on this model for some time, and are well underway, with some assistance from myself already. My understanding is that it was held back from the 2015 announcement for a number of valid reasons. I am sure the timing is very much to do with the Bachmann announcements taking place on Monday.

I have now posted about this announcement here http://grahammuz.com/2015/02/28/Hornby-make-surprise-announcement-of-original-air-smooth-merchant-navy-pacific/

As stated above there are I am sure enough variations within this class to prevent any initial duplication should such a situation arise...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not just you Matt, it irks me every time I read 'unrebuilt'. Non-rebuilt looks better.

Back to the models, if Bachmann concentrate on the later variants will that keep everyone happy?

We shall see on Monday.

Edited by Nile

You can't have it both ways, Chris!

You can't say there were too many variations and the community would expect them all to be made

.... then call it duplication!

There is plenty of room for two manufacturers to do this particular loco - if they choose different periods, for example, or one concentrates on the earlier variations of Series One and the other on the two later series, in final form.

I'm afraid you've lost me here. You seem to misunderstand. 'Duplication' in this scenario is when two manufacturers model the same class of locomotive in the same scale. The number of 'variations' relates to the amount of tooling required for one manufacturer to produce the level of number/detail fidelity expected by the market. The latter is, of course, not duplication and I never said it was. In this particular instance, IF BOTH manufacturers produce a MN, they MIGHT by complete chance each produce a different variant, in which case the duplication might have less impact, as modellers who prefer Barwell to Margate or Margate to Barwell, could make their choice. It is, however, reliant entirely upon luck as any 'co-operation' in this respect could be seen as a cartel - as I've been told by both organisations in the past when we've discussed previous duplications. I seriously doubt that with costs rising as they are, there is 'plenty of room' for duplication of any sort - but there might be a bit of leeway IF different variants were chosen. If not, perhaps a BMC of railway manufacturing is inevitable, where you can have a Bachmann MN or a Hornby MN and the only difference will be the logo on the baseplate.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

Which means it is now a dead cert that Bachmann are announcing one next week as well.

I don;t care about competition regulations - they are silly - please manufacturers TALK TO EACH OTHER (even if it involves darkened deserted car parks and flashing headlights at each other ala old spy movies!!) and avoid stupid pointless duplication!!!

Your deserted car park scenario is more likely to attract doggers these days! :-)

• RMweb Gold

Not for the first time, I am intrigued. Not about the tactics of Hornby or Bachmann, or Wonky Models Ltd for that matter, but by the enormous interest in this sort of locomotive. After all, RMwebbers, by and large, are well-informed people who know what ran where and when.

So, do I not like MNs? Fine locos in my view, and I saw them all, albeit most of them rebuilt by then, no doubt.

My confusion is caused by the very narrow sphere of operations of these locos. After all, their Route Availability meant they didn't really venture beyond Exeter, hardly saw Sussex in service, seldom slummed-it on a secondary route, still less a single line. They were heavy express locos, and that's that.

So, do all those enthusing here really have substantial main line layouts, on which an MN might look at home with 10 or more on the back? And, if not, wouldn't the Light Pacific be a more appropriate choice?

• Like 1