RMWeb Members Day, Taunton, 2015 - full line-up announced

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Wot inter-SWAG feuding between the peoples front of SWAGonia and SWAGonian peoples front  :O That might lead to read guard manoeuvres by other factions of RMWeblandia!

The natives appear to be revolting.

The insurrection will be put down with unparalleled cruelty, as they are made to eat cold Frankfurter in lieu of pasties...

The shirts..........

Started many years ago, as I needed a profile pic for Model Rail, I wanted to get away from the pipe, tie and cardie type image, I put on a surfing type loud shirt for the pic.......the rest is history.

The loud shirt has now become a bit of a trademark........:-)

Ah I see, trying to get in with surfing crowd, and all those lithe young babes that hang around with them ?

SWMBO told me off for doing that

*** WARNING CORNISH PASTY STORY....SCROLL PAST IF NOT INTERESTED ***

Many moons ago when my eldest son was a mere toddler, ( he's 24 now), we happened to visit Cornwall one winter, and decided that it would be a good idea to take a somewhat intelligent and precocious boy for a trip down a tin mine.

The actual visit to what is a very famous tourist attraction went very well, and my son, was it seems very interested in everything the guide ( Jan),( I had to explain to me son that he was a man and "Jan" was a nickname given to short Cornwall men, and it came from Janner), had to say.

Anyway I digress.

We didn't realise just HOW much he had taken in.

Later in the week we ventured forth once more into the Cornish countryside and at dinner time ended up in St Ives, James my son was quite insistent that we went into a "traditional Cornish cafe" and not one of the multiples.

We sat down in a very nice cafe, and a young waitress took our order, my wife and I were quite astonished when James asked for a pasty and chips, looking at each other, we explained to him that it was quite a lot, and maybe he would be better having some of Mum and Dads, but he was insistent that he wanted his own.

In time pasty and chips x 3 arrived, James peered at his for some time, and watched as we tucked in to our steaming hot meal, James prodded his with a fork and look a little confused, and stared at us.

"How did you know which end to start" he asked

I looked at SWMBO, she looked back in a similar confused manner.

I was brave enough to speak first   "Pardon"

How did you know which end to start at he repeated,

I looked just as confused

James did that sigh that all kids can do when confronted by a dense adult.

Jan said it had pudding at one end, so how did you know which end to start ?

The penny dropped.

There then ensued a discussion that pasties don't actually get made like that now, it was only done way back.

James thought for a moment then said at the top of his voice

Well... they aren't traditional then !

Roll on 20 odd years, and the same boy ( now man) still asks if the pasty he is having has got the pudding in one end, the answer is invariably "no", and he has great delight in telling the person behind the counter that "they're not traditional then"

It put us off going to Cornwall for years !

This is the same child who told his head mistress that she was wrong when she told the class how high the Eiffel Tower was, I was called in to deal with my "argumentative, arrogant " child. She explained the situation to me, and that James shouldn't question her in front of the class, So I asked her how high she said it was, she told me, I nodded, "I see, well he's right, he's including the television mast on the top, you're not"  She went bright red and said "thank you"   I left smiling to myself, nothing like a five yr old to put a teacher in their place !

• Like 8

Tain't as straight forward as that because in most sources including most people you talk to, the traditional Cornish pasty does not contain a sweet part at all. There was a recipe found which mentioned this from the 19th century but other earlier recipes did not contain fruit but were solely savory.

Have a read here if you want more info -

www.cornishpastyassociation.co.uk/cornish-pasty-historical-information/

Sorry, despite living in Somerset and modelling Middle Earth, I am a Cornishman!

Best wishes

Simon

Meat and pudding in a Pasty :nono: 
This sounds like the meat joints we had just after WW2, Beef one end, Pork the other...
That's what I learn't at dinner time.
I think it was an effort by my parents to make dinner sound grand,
.... "what do you want, pork or beef?"
Then they'd choose one end of the joint, or the other, to carve from... 
Living the life in the far west of Cornwall...

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like someone dropper a clanger there!!

oops, time to get my coat!

Simon

I don't hear the sound of irate whistling 

Neither do I detect the ire of the Soup Dragon

;)

• Like 1

I thought the savoury/sweet pasty was a 'trampie'.

Ian

I could take Big Issues with that ! :) trampie indeed humph ........just because they're wrapped up in cardboard boxes it doesn't mean you can eat one ! Edited by bgman

I have been coerced by CK into creating some words about my layout Kelly Bray.    I started modelling in 7mm scale way back in 1988.   At the time, I was becoming very disillusioned with the quality of running of the then current RTR ‘OO’ models.  The local club was heavily committed to the scale and I just liked the way it ran and its detailed appearance.

For the next 10 years I just built stock, then the opportunity for a permanent home for a layout arose. It is very much a ‘slow burn’ project because pretty well everything, except for a couple of items of second hand and RTR stock, has been hand built by me.

Kelly Bray is very loosely inspired by the Bere Alston to Callington branch.  This was a Colonel Stephens engineered light railway.  Initially operated by the Plymouth, Devonport and South Western Junction Railway, it ended up in the fold of the Southern Railway.  It was not that typical of a West Country branch in that freight played a more important role than passengers and Callington was not a holiday destination.  In the 1950s, just six passenger trains a day plied from the junction to terminus.  One was a through working to Plymouth, despite the very inconvenient layout at the junction, Bere Alston.  So two carriage sets were required to work the line.  On the other hand, there were a number of freight workings, rather than just a solitary daily pick-up freight. Of major importance were the quarries along the line.  Also, in season, market gardens in the Tamar Valley sent away flowers, fruit and vegetables. So a model based on the line has the opportunity for some interesting workings.  Within that frame work, I use the model to run my eclectic collection of small Southern Railway locomotives and carriages.  

The GWR once proposed a railway from Saltash to Callington.  Unsurprisingly, it was never built.  But I have distorted history even more and allow the GWR running rights.

It was never designed to be an exhibition layout, but the boards were built modular so that it is (relatively) easy to relocate if a house move ever occurs.  The scenic section is about 16’ long, with a 12’ fiddle yard.  They all rest on staging, so have no legs.  There is also the small matter of a short fixed section where it goes through a partition wall!  I am therefore able to bring one of the boards, a selection of stock and some buildings to show. The 4ft long board with the platform and station building just goes in the back of my estate car, but a trial run was necessary as the back scene is 2’ high.

Here are some recent views of the layout.  A couple of aerial  shots showing pretty well all of the layout.

The middle station board, which I am bringing to Taunton is from the join just behind the over bridge here…

To the join below the ‘84B’ depot plate here….

My wife Leslie Ann has been working on the backscene, lowering the skyline.  The canary yellow space model station building has been replaced as well.

The Beattie Well Tank alongside the trader’s shed.

And on shed with the O2.  

Feel free to ask any questions, even if you think they are silly.  I don't bite and neither does my wife unless she is denied her choice of pie and cake by CK....  :jester:

I would put that BWT under lock and key if our friend Chris (tomanyspams) decides to come visiting.

• RMweb Gold

I could take Big Issues with that ! :) trampie indeed humph ........just because they're wrapped up in cardboard boxes it doesn't mean you can eat one !

Sorry, cardboard boxes? Don't get the connection. There again, I own books about horses, doesn't mean I know anything about A3 pacifics......

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Sorry about the on-going lack of menu information for The Lethbridge Inn on the Saturday night. I have reminded the landlord that he promised me a fixed menu with various choices for starters, mains and puddings at least a month ago. One of our undercover agents is hopefully visiting the pub this weekend, in the line of duty, in order to prod the man in person, so watch this space...!

• Like 2

Sorry about the on-going lack of menu information for The Lethbridge Inn on the Saturday night. I have reminded the landlord that he promised me a fixed menu with various choices for starters, mains and puddings at least a month ago. One of our undercover agents is hopefully visiting the pub this weekend, in the line of duty, in order to prod the man in person, so watch this space...!

Bash him wiv ya sausage ! :)

• RMweb Premium

I can see the local paper headlines , 

Man thrown out of Pub for demanding a menu when the kitchen is shut . No punches were thrown but some prodding  occurred .

• RMweb Gold

Oh, are we going back to The Lethbridge this year then?  (I presume they do sausages or is that the cause of his delay I wonder)

• RMweb Premium

Bash him wiv ya sausage ! :)

Ooooeerrr Missus!

This intrepid explorer sets sail (in the airborne sense) within 24 hours and will be offline.  I shall have intermittent wifi on the iPhone but that's all.  I would appreciate being kept up to date with social planning in order to finalise my arrangements for Saturday.  I'll PM the Captain with my mobile number as the quickest means to make contact.

The layout is 90% complete.  The missing 10% shall be done this morning.  It then goes into its carry-case and into the middle of my travel bag.  I can't finish packing the bag until the layout is in.  It's something of a precision operation in terms of timing and planning.

See you there.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The Lethbridge Inn has apologised for the delay in getting the set menus to me, apparently they've had internet and BT problems (just like we have!). I'll put up a new thread for the Saturday night meal etc. asap.