RMWeb Members Day, Taunton, 2015 - full line-up announced

Captain Kernow

More of superb Tipham layout.

post-7447-0-51432900-1430067755_thumb.jpg

post-7447-0-57076000-1430067862_thumb.jpg

post-7447-0-73221100-1430067885_thumb.jpg

post-7447-0-23544200-1430067908_thumb.jpg

And this fantastic N gauge layout all the way from Oz......

post-7447-0-91601800-1430067978_thumb.jpg

post-7447-0-78504500-1430068010_thumb.jpg

Newgate lane..........

post-7447-0-90020900-1430068089_thumb.jpg

post-7447-0-15026100-1430068113_thumb.jpg

post-7447-0-30144000-1430068135_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry everyone but they are not the best photos but at least you can see what was there.

I'm sure someone will put much better photo's up for you all to enjoy.

andy

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all for a most enjoyable gathering and the chance of a relaxed look at some inspirational models.

Unfortunately I had to leave about 1230 because of a prior commitment and missed the edible goodies - the aroma definitely stimulated my appetite for lunch when I got to it!

I'll attempt to be better organised next year. :scratchhead:  

John

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all for a really good day. Once we'd sorted the initial electrical gremlins I could enjoy chatting and nattering away. Thanks also to Nick (Brinkley) for having a play and giving me a chance to eat too much cake.

The pie deserves a mention and was excellent.

Really nice to take down the backscene of Wheal Elizabeth and just chat away with people.

Treated myself to one of Justin's wagon chassis etches. I'm sure these should be supplied in plain brown paper envelopes... Phwoooarrr...

In the meantime, a couple of photos of one of the earlier trains today and the last.

post-6673-0-29908500-1430075460.jpg

post-6673-0-34019500-1430075478.jpg

• Like 14

Thanks the The Capt'n and his First Mate (Andy Y) and the crew for another excellent day. And an especial thanks to the galley slaves - you kept our body and soul together through another gruelling day upon the high seas off Swagonia! Super layouts, yummy grub, and delightful company, as always.  :thankyou:

Edited by Phil Copleston

• RMweb Gold

Just to add my thanks to Tim, Maddie, Andy and all the other helpers and organisers. Especially the kitchen staff who did a great job as ever on the comestibles department - I ended up sampling both pie and pastie and can report that both were truly excellent.

Spent all day yakking, met up with lots of regular friends and also made some new ones - a thoroughly enjoyable day from all points of view. The models were excellent and varied, from my bookstall vantage point I had a good view of the very appealing Tipham and could see Rik (Gwiwer) busily running trains on his fantastically well travelled layout too. I really liked Hobbiton End and was impressed that at least one of the hobbit holes was fully furnished - it made you feel just wanted to move in!

The auction was very well handled and responded to I thought too. I did consider upping the peanuts on that S&DJR 4F but in the end resisted in favour of treating myself to something lovely that I really didn't need from that very nice man from Kernow. The 02s look magnificent by the way.

So thank you again to everyone who contributed, another feather in RMweb's cap and another grand day out.

Got to go, last episode of "Poldark" on in the front room...

Simon 

• Like 4

Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos (I was too busy eating or yacking) - but Maurice Hopper did! Just to illustrate the progress Maurice has made with his Dutch P87 quayside opus 'Coevoordsekade' in the last week or so - here is his photo of the layout at Taunton today. 

post-14107-0-00660700-1430078876_thumb.jpg

The NS 200 class shunting tractor and wagons actually ran up and down the main track from the 'fiddle yard' to the end of the long siding, although most of the crossings and check rails have yet to be fitted. Out front under the wharf projection is (what will be) a representation of the water of the canal - a sorta 'horizontal backscene' affair, which will effectively extend forward and double the scenic portion of this otherwise minimal-space layout. There will be a conventional sky backscene behind the building flats (just black foamboard silhouettes at the moment) too.

Most of the buildings and the general canal-side location are based on prototypes found in Coevorden, northeastern Netherlands - a town which, as it happens, was rebuilt in the seventeenth century by a certain Maurice, Prince of Orange! 

Needless to say, this little unfinished layout is promising to live up to Maurice's usual high standards of finish and inovation. Of course, the whole caboodle packs into a single plastic snap-lidded carry-box which fits into a custom-made carry-bag for conveyance by public transport, as is Maurice's usual habbit.

Pity my ugly mug got in the way!   

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Andrew, won't be long before everyone asks you if that's the Kernow O2. I've got a Martin Finney T9 and I used to regularly get asked at shows if it was the Hornby model...

You're not wrong there!

Already happens with the Well Tank, the 42xx, class 22, T9. Just the 1366 to go!!

A big thank you from Abercynon Fach for having us down in Taunton this year, a warm friendly atmosphere and lots of chin wagging ,a big thank you to the kitchen force for great food and tea .

And thanks to Tim for looking after us all.

Regards

BrianT and Martin.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Now home safely, having caught my ferry with a few minutes to spare!

Pictures to be downloaded, edited and posted tomorrow - too tired tonight.

Thanks to Tim for another superb event. As Cilla might say: worra lorra laffs.

• Like 8

Hi,

Got home at around 19:00, but only now have I got chance to post, but this is only a short thanks rather than a full one, which I'll do later.

Thanks to Captain Kernow and Andy for organsing everything, thanks to Graham_Muz for driving me and my gear there and back, thanks to the catering staff for the lovely food and thanks to the great members if RMWeb for not only providing lovely exhibits, but also great company and someone to natter.

A full review will come tomorrow evening hopefully!

Simon

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to Tim, Andy and all who in any way have contributed to the organisation, management and conviviality of today.  As on my previous visit the warmth of friendship and pasties was most welcoming and the quality and variety of exhibits made me stop, talk and think about many aspects of the hobby.

After dashing off at 4.15 thanks to the easily portable nature of my own layout we have now safely arrived back in Sussex with my family.  That is sadly only a staging post as Boghouses and I fly back down under on Tuesday and when I am back at my own computer there will be photos off the camera to show.

All of those who stopped by and talked made me feel the effort of the challenge was worthwhile - thank you.  Three months ago there was nothing but an exchange of messages between CK and myself.  In that short space of time I have changed jobs, built a small but fully operational layout and brought it around the world safely (enough) that it could be exhibited and run under public scrutiny.  I feel I have added a little something to the hobby.

• Like 16