Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Default stances of negativity

• RMweb Gold

New thread:

Default stances of positivity:

"We've never had it so good"

I am reminded of a Private Eye cover, on which Harold Macmillan was quoted as saying "You've never had it so good!" and Edward Heath as saying "I've never had it!"

I do have to ask if the sparkly unicorn is OO or P4.

Does that depend on whether we're talking the current narrow definition of unicorn as a horse with one horn,or the original, broader definition of unicorn as ANY creature with one horn (e.g. the rhinosceros or some types of gazelle)?

• 2 months later...

I came to this thread because I noticed a member has had his account remove (XF2). Having read through this, I can sympathise with Andy and what he has to put up with. As to the member himself, I did get a bit tired of hearing how EVERYthing n the world was first's fault, and also notice that he has had some comments on another forum about the same thing from people who have access to the facts in whatever failier to provide the service he required/expected/paid for. On another section of this forum, there is some members who constantly complain about Bachmann price increase, and appear to post in every thread going about such (ps-we got the message, both of them you were trying to put forward. As a reply, you don't have to buy them).

Then again, there were post for previous years about Hornby, delivery delays and what product the did finally turn out and how good/bad/fit for purpose it was. How things have changed and most of the Hornby posts appear positive nowadays. There are still some post over there which point out some poor QC issues, but how much of these are due to some Chinese supplier? This can be likened to the XF posts about first firing away without the full facts or at the wrong persons/organisation.

Or there was another person on here who constantly posted how Dapol had got things wrong to the n'th degree.

Now, these kinds of people I would read what they put, consider the points they were trying to put forward, and at the end decide for myself. After all, nobody is forcing me to spend my money or time unless I chose to. Although as a said at the beginning I can sympathise with Andy and the moderators because the volume of posts certain people can put forth, constantly repeating the same thing even when proved to be in error can be overwhelming.

The idea of people posting the same thing even though they've been proven wrong is common across all internet forums. I recently learned the acronym PRATT - 'Points Refuted A Thousand Times' - for when people put forward long-debunked arguments or statements that have been well-proven to be based on errors.

If running a business making model trains is so easy, some of the keyboard warriors should give it a go and show everyone how its done.

• RMweb Gold

The idea of people posting the same thing even though they've been proven wrong is common across all internet forums. I recently learned the acronym PRATT - 'Points Refuted A Thousand Times' - for when people put forward long-debunked arguments or statements that have been well-proven to be based on errors.

If running a business making model trains is so easy, some of the keyboard warriors should give it a go and show everyone how its done.

What would happen the first time something doesn't go to plan for one of these guys - and they find themselves on the receiving end of a mob of other individuals of similar ilk, baying for their blood because they've messed up big time?

I suspect they would quickly find things aren't as easy as they've convinced themselves - and it isn't much fun being labelled a complete "PRATT" (even if, in their case, it's probably for good reason) - not that they're likely to find out any time soon.

That's right - you'll often find that these guys don't make anything (for that matter, they almost certainly don't do anything useful, either) - but, if they did, they'd probably be the best ***** in the World.

Reassuring, isn't it?

Huw.

• RMweb Premium

Speaking generally, not specifically to do with any manufacturers, or even model railways, I often see the same "refutations" which are really nothing more than the same set of assumptions and opinions repeated as refutation (although once you get beyond things like rivet counting, which at least has the benefit of being unarguably verifiable, there's very little that isn't subjective when you get to the bottom of it).

Archived