Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Default stances of negativity

Many years ago when I worked in local radio there was a producer who said that there was a certain kind of person who sat around waiting to be offended just so that they could complain. It was very true.

It isn't just confined to model railways. My Father used to get sick and tired of people criticising his 4" Garrett at rallies for all manner of trivial detail. Always when quizzed the people who criticised the most had done the least in terms of making a model themselves. He called them 'armchair critics'.

Of course, some things just invite criticism:   from https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152887265269093&set=a.388146344092.168107.637604092&type=110515338_10152887265269093_7344457683444

I have a strange image in my head of several engineering wagons going round and round in a gigantic frying pan.

Paying sufficient wages to enable the workers who build our model trains to escape from poverty will not go down too well with a largish number of folk on this forum.

Bernard

Halibuts aside, is that incompatible with suggesting some simpler/part-assembled models might offset that increase in prices?

Either way, this would be an ideal place to advocate more ethical standards. :dontknow:

• RMweb Premium

I have a strange image in my head of several engineering wagons going round and round in a gigantic frying pan.

Hmmm - Herring, Sturgeon, catfish, dogfish, salmon and many others.............

Cheers,

Mick

I am bemused by all the remarks about hard times and so on. In reality in the UK Europe etc it is all quite easy. Here you will see what poverty and a hard life really is should take a look at the third world and it being ripped off by the so called first world.. No poverty is not the Government giving you money and a place to live, it is have nothing at all,

Blaming the moaning on the times being hard I bet that those who went through the first and second world wars no matter which side are embarrassed by these remarks.

• RMweb Gold

I'm a bit late to this (holidays) but nearly fell into the trap of looking negative a couple of weeks ago.

Sometimes you read a post and there is something in it that leads to you comment, I read such a post a couple of times and made a reply, when you see the first replies to your comment you realise that others don't read it in the same way and take issue with what you have written so rather than prolong the negativity I posted that I hadn't explained myself and would drop out. It obviously annoyed some with what I had written but then I had many off board comments agreeing with what I had posted.

One thing I did note was that those that disagreed with what I had to say did so, on board, and those that agreed with me did so off board so as not to appear negative.

I did make a couple of corrective posts as some felt that they had to make incorrect assumptions about the initial post, but then maybe that is what I had done.

The lesson I learnt was to keep my opinion to myself.......and those that know me will know that is soooooooo difficult! :mosking:

I am bemused by all the remarks about hard times and so on. In reality in the UK Europe etc it is all quite easy. Here you will see what poverty and a hard life really is should take a look at the third world and it being ripped off by the so called first world.. No poverty is not the Government giving you money and a place to live, it is have nothing at all,

Blaming the moaning on the times being hard I bet that those who went through the first and second world wars no matter which side are embarrassed by these remarks.

:) They also fought the war so we could laugh at whatever we like and joke about whatever we like as long as it's not doing anyone any harm.

Personally my grandad trained hard for the second of those wars then fell off a bridge just before being sent to fight and spent the rest of the war moaning about back pain... I find that quite immensly funny in hindsight, like gods finger came down and pinged him off the bridge but didn't kill him meaning I could be here to joke about the fragility of human life and make us all think.... whats it all about...

peace. :jester:

Now your just trying to provoke an argument as to the merits or otherwise of kittens and sparkly unicorns!

I mean how do we know that is a kitten. It could quite easily be a cat and a giant bottle!

And also sparkly unicorns are not up to today's standards, I demand a gilded unicorn, cheaper than the previous unicorn which will even sparkle in the absence of light.

I want it better,cheaper, and yesterday.

Nurse I need my dried frog pills!

Nik

I should point out that the kitten, although black, is a true GW kitten as it lives in Pewsey close to the main line.

Could one of the experts in that particular field let me know which railway companies used unicorns, sparkling or otherwise.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

How about a sparkly kitten?

attachicon.gifglitter_kitten11.gif

Kitten? Kitten!!

That's clearly a “Fat Cat” and loathed just as much as Bankers who believe that their remuneration packages should be in the region where they threaten to “fill up” smaller banks!

I should point out that the kitten, although black, is a true GW kitten as it lives in Pewsey close to the main line.

Could one of the experts in that particular field let me know which railway companies used unicorns, sparkling or otherwise.

Bernard

i liked the kitten until i found out it was a GWR kitten. That has just ruined the kitten for me.

Archived