Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Default stances of negativity

There is this bad attitude in business at the moment that when things go wrong: blame the customer.

So organisations fail to deliver on their promises and they criticise their customers for complaining.

Then they wonder why customers get really angry.

So, is RMWeb now blaming its members for justifiably complaining about the current poor service by some manufacturers? 'Cos if you are.. :nono:

There is an alternative business strategy I commend to all organisations:

'Fess up, say Sorry, put the Customer first, Communicate and keep them updated about the recovery plan. It keeps people happy.

No, you're right. No chance at all......

But equally some customers expectations are unrealistic, and when it is suggested to them - toys out of cot - waaaaahhhh.

That's just what I said  to the nice young lady who offered me a personal dance lesson in a certain club in Phoenix. 

At least, I think it was a lesson.  I got to sit down for it as I recall.

That would be the (un)cover charge.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

There is a difference between constructive criticism and negativity, sometimes what starts as constructive criticism can change to negativity just because of the way threads develop. I'll admit I'm easily pleased when it comes to models (I'll admit to being happy with my Hornby 4VEP and GWR large tanks and speak highly of the Railroad A1....) but whilst I am happy to accept few models are perfect and happily buy models which I recognise as less than great I also do value informed, constructive criticism. That said sometimes I get a bit irritated when it goes from constructive criticism to just dismissing stuff which is really nowhere near as bad as some of the comment however it is a free world and it'd be intolerably dull and boring if everybody just agreed with each other all the time and often the threads with a lot of disagreement can be the most useful and informative. Speaking entirely at a personal level I have a job which entails a lot of awkward conversations (a part of my job is project recovery where I inherit disasters and have to try and put them right) and dealing with some very forceful characters such as Greek ship owners and other characters who are so infuriating as to make me understand why people resort to murder (I deal with a lot of political types in national maritime administrations) so I tend to just want to have fun with model trains and enjoy discussion rather than get into negativity, but that is just me.

I have a "default negativity" that seems to permeate everything in my life at the moment - it's called work!

I try very hard to follow the concept of "If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all", but I do occasionally find it hard to follow, and one of the reasons I come here is that thee are some very positive threads on here, but I have noticed that there is a general "negative" air forming on a lot of the threads here, some of those threads seem to be where the originator has lost their modelling momentum - I know I have, but other threads have become the school playground.

The only thread that seems to be positive and upbeat is 'Things that make you :-) on Wheeltappers'.

Maybe Wheeltappers should be placed at the top of the Forum Index!!  :declare:

... some people really do just seem to go on and on and on....etc when there is no real reason to do..... I think its like being arsy makes me happy syndrome

Yes, "a bitching sailor is a happy sailor" (which I believe is a US Navy term).

Patrick O'Brian used the term "sea lawyer" in his Aubrey/Maturin novels, a term Merriam-Webster calls "an argumentative captious sailor".

It's an archetype that fits a lot of grumpy old men with a common cause for complaint pretty well.

I see it in the workplace a lot. People need to vent frustrations to move on. It can be tiresome to listen to but it can help people get past things over which they have no control. Some people of course don't move on.

I could be quite unbelievably negative about some things I see on here but the enjoyment is in seeing the largely positive and fun to watch contributions of the forum members flowing in and looking forward to reading them.

Quite amazing how wound up some people can get over a little model train :butcher: look out the window, there's families who can't afford to eat let alone model railways. bigger fish to fry.

I could be quite unbelievably negative about some things I see on here but the enjoyment is in seeing the largely positive and fun to watch contributions of the forum members flowing in and looking forward to reading them.

Quite amazing how wound up some people can get over a little model train :butcher: look out the window, there's families who can't afford to eat let alone model railways. bigger fish to fry.

There's something not quite right with that reasoning. It doesn't seem to be of any help to those starving.

Andy

There's something not quite right with that reasoning. It doesn't seem to be of any help to those starving.

Andy

First step to helping them at all is to open the curtains and look outside. How else do we know there is a problem at all?

Now that we've noticed the problem lets get them starving families some train sets! (very very very poor taste joke)

look out the window, there's families who can't afford to eat let alone model railways. bigger fish to fry.

Not from my window.

And I have always held the belief that everything is relative. So as I have no relatives that are starving as the saying goes: It's all right Jack. I don't like fishing either.

I have a strange image in my head of several engineering wagons going round and round in a gigantic frying pan.

Paying sufficient wages to enable the workers who build our model trains to escape from poverty will not go down too well with a largish number of folk on this forum.

Bernard

Archived