The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

Re Bachmann and Southern & BR(S) stuff, ... they do seem somewhat reluctant to do anything Southern that doesn't have some kind of preservation 'hook'.

I can remember entire Bachmann catalogues where the "Big Four" was reduced to the "Big Three" because they weren't producing a single Southern engine in that year. The LN has been so long-overdue for an upgrade that it has to be a bit embarrassing for them. Given Bachmann's interminable production delays, I'm actually rather glad Hornby has taken this over.

Hornby seem (seemed?) to be getting into building entire families: their introduction of one GER subject after another has left us with phenomenally good coverage, matched with decent ranges of carriage stock. Repeating that approach with other areas would be very welcome, I imagine.

Paul 

Couldn't agree more. It would make far more sense to release small tanks all round, I'll have a G6 please Hornby. What does everyone else want on the small tank front?

Ex-Great Eastern J65, J66, J67, J68, J69 - the J67 and J69 having several variations re width of tanks and cabside openings, etc. Includes the Liverpool St pilot and there's a J69 in the National Collection. Triang Hornby had a J69 in mind a goodly number of years ago.

• Like 1

For me the current gap is with 2-6-2 tanks from the LMS/BR midland. These were go anywhere locos used for suburban passenger, banking and light freight. The missing links are the Fowler and Stanier 2-6-2s but my personal favourite is the Standard Class 2 (and its tender sibling)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Going back a page, saying the 2018 blurred image of the catalogue, a friend on our facebook group has the same image used on that front cover so for us we know what it is, Hornby do like leaving clues around places, makes people look, but it has been mentioned a few times here, but us lot suspect a Lord Nelson.

Only suspect? Going back to post 1457 on page 59 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97313-the-engine-shed/?p=2896049 and the link to the original painting, I'd be very surprised if anything other than the LN was on Hornby's radar.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can remember entire Bachmann catalogues where the "Big Four" was reduced to the "Big Three" because they weren't producing a single Southern engine in that year. The LN has been so long-overdue for an upgrade that it has to be a bit embarrassing for them. Given Bachmann's interminable production delays, I'm actually rather glad Hornby has taken this over.

Hornby seem (seemed?) to be getting into building entire families: their introduction of one GER subject after another has left us with phenomenally good coverage, matched with decent ranges of carriage stock. Repeating that approach with other areas would be very welcome, I imagine.

Paul 

That was not unusual, given that, prior to the arrival of the ex-SECR C class, Bachmann had only ever produced two Southern locos, the Lord Nelson and the N, over about two decades.

Kernow Models have equalled that total and, of late, Hornby have been doing so annually! :sungum:

Even with the C and E4, Bachmann are still only up to four; plus the USA and the Thumper unit as commissions and a couple of EMUs. Hopefully, the Brighton Atlantic will be successful enough to trigger a bit more interest from the blue team.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

What does everyone else want on the small tank front?

Hmmm, I wanted an E4, H and P... :P

More ex LBSC would be welcome. Newly tooled E2 perhaps? Or any of the other E numbers?

Waiting patiently for a Hunslet Austerity in 1943 WD livery.... So many variants of the old and new toolings but original condition seems to have been missed...?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Only suspect? Going back to post 1457 on page 59 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97313-the-engine-shed/?p=2896049 and the link to the original painting, I'd be very surprised if anything other than the LN was on Hornby's radar.

Forgive me if I have missed this (piece of gratuitous) in the over 100 posts since this posting but the painting is by Malcolm Root and he is the artist selected by Bachmann for their Collectors Club calendar. He does produce his own railway and transport calendars which I have bought for many years directly from him and I can recommend them as good presents for friends interested in railways. Tel 01787 4875402. No connection etc!

I am certainly hoping that there is a Nelson coming from Hornby together with a Maunsell restaurant car. I could go on but will resist!

all the best

Godfrey

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’d like to see some more of the elegant looking 4-4-0’s of the inherited by the SR and LNER that made it towards the end of steam...

D17 in NER perhaps or a D20, but we’ve not yet had a D16 in GER blue and that can’t be hard for Hornby to do. LSWR T3 would be interesting given it’s recent higher profile.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Forgive me if I have missed this (piece of gratuitous) in the over 100 posts since this posting but the painting is by Malcolm Root and he is the artist selected by Bachmann for their Collectors Club calendar. He does produce his own railway and transport calendars which I have bought for many years directly from him and I can recommend them as good presents for friends interested in railways. Tel 01787 4875402. No connection etc!

I am certainly hoping that there is a Nelson coming from Hornby together with a Maunsell restaurant car. I could go on but will resist!

all the best

Godfrey

Note the picture is also being used by Shamrock who sell Ace trains:

https://www.shamrocktrains.com/product/ace-trains-southern-railway-and-british-railways-night-ferry-continental-sleeper-coaches/

So if anyone does want night sleeper coaches :jester:

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

That SR unit looks like either a 2-EPB or 2H as produced by Bachmann. It looks like someone's layout so no reason why other manufacturers products mightn't make an appearance.

The image used is exactly the same image used by Hornby magazine on a layout feature (I don't have the details to hand but probably within the last 15 months - the layout being based at the end of a suburban branch Line similar to Chessington). IIRC the unit was one of the resin kits produced by Southern Region models although I forget which one exactly. I don't believe it's a hint of a new model to come. Edited by steve1023

Couldn't agree more. It would make far more sense to release small tanks all round, I'll have a G6 please Hornby. What does everyone else want on the small tank front?

New tooling for a Terrier is long overdue and it ticks many boxes. Long working life, many attractive liveries and there are preserved examples, which is why I can't understand why it hasn't already been retooled. It also gives Hornby a means to compete with the Hattons P Class, if they are so minded to want to compete.

Aside from that the Hornby Southern range is lacking the big tank engines they have for other big four. A Z class would give them a unique wheel arrangement in their range but there are other big LBSC or LSWR tanks they could consider.

Edited by Anglian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

While I really do hope we get something Scottish, looking at it impartially in the small tank engine front a J69 is overdue . Don't think there's ever been a model in OO. Lots of nice liveries too

• Like 1

Sorry why does this 'BIG' announcement have to be steam? Big could be a modern multiple unit, many still not modelled. Electrostars one big range of liveries and geographical spread. 

If Hornby as in as much as a state financially as appears, they need to diversify their product line up and appeal to modern modellers also. 

Hornby are quickly disappearing in the mist of steam.... (sorry couldn't resist the pun) 

• RMweb Gold

Sorry why does this 'BIG' announcement have to be steam? Big could be a modern multiple unit, many still not modelled. Electrostars one big range of liveries and geographical spread.

If Hornby as in as much as a state financially as appears, they need to diversify their product line up and appeal to modern modellers also.

Hornby are quickly disappearing in the mist of steam.... (sorry couldn't resist the pun)

Agreed, I think it’s going to be a 4-BIG EMU.

Hopefully detailed at the same level as the new MK1’s, a bit less tech wizardry, normal NEM couplings with a simple bar connector, and come in at a reasonable £225RRP or less, allowing maybe a £180 on the retail shelf.

My maths: (New Mk1 Oct 2017 RRP is £42 x3 = £126 allowing £42 for the motorised coach + £57 for a motor bogie under that coach=£99 ), even then I think this could be sharpened a little more.

It doesn’t have to be 4TC quality, And the market place is getting crowded with EMUs, the New Mk1 is more than adequate... Make what people can afford, there’s limited space in the market for £400+ super detailed EMUs.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

While you say that, if you look back to post 1457 i think regarding the 2018 catalogue cover. Theres a very clear match with a painting of a lord nelson

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Small tank engines look daft pulling twelve coach trains though.

Not on the GE suburban services they didn't!

Nor on ECS leaving Waterloo for Clapham Yard. M7, Ivatt 2-6-2, Pannier, among others.

More ex LBSC would be welcome. Newly tooled E2 perhaps? Or any of the other E numbers?

E2s are boring. Two very different looking ‘sub-classes’ each of just 5 locos. And a bit modern. Far more numerous examples in E1 - with a potential for D1 - and E3/5/6. And why not a D3? After all, SECR and LSWR 0-4-4s have been modelled, why not the Brighton’s?
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

While you say that, if you look back to post 1457 i think regarding the 2018 catalogue cover. Theres a very clear match with a painting of a lord nelson

What makes Lord Nelson a “Big” announcement ?

MN is bigger, in size, price, popularity, reality, performance, boiler size, pressure, wheel dimension even the whistle is louder, there’s even more of them preserved, as they’ve just done the MN, wouldn’t this make the LN a “small” announcement ?

The LN maybe one announcement, but as Steve Jobs used to say “oh and just one more thing”... that maybe the next “Big” thing.

It would be ironic if the next “Big” thing was a Peckett named “Big”.

Last year Hornby did one big, one small steam, one modern, one unit, two coaches and a wagon.

Hopefully this year is the same, but i’d Guess that we have the LN, so the others could be SECR 01, or L&Y A class, class 86, 4-BIG, Mk1 Buffet and another wagon... Conflat P would be nice.

But I do keep wondering about that unit in the distant station platform of the club magazine.. it doesn’t make sense to put a Bachmann one in shot, it doesn’t look like a Bil/Vep or a Hal), maybe a Hastings unit, or 207 come to mind.... edit: the more I look the more I see a SUB..

Of course, we could be entering consolidation even further, and the “Big” thing could be a price rise, and the noise of the explosion as the bubble bursts. :-)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

I'm sure others will tell me if I'm wrong (and I usually am), but we have had several small tender work horse engines from Hornby in the last few years for most of the big four, but apart from the 42/52/72xx we don't have anything up to current standards for the GWR. We won't get one this year either I suspect, but surely it is time that Hornby looked at one of the GWR smaller tender engines - a very small field I know what with the Dean goods having gone.