RMweb

The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold

A few “engine sheds” ago Hornby referred to a “Big H”, but the latest collectors club refers to a “Big surprise”.

I think it’s been sussed that a Lord Nelson is one, but is an LN a “Big H” ?.

I’m thinking the SECR 01.. do Bluebell types refer to this as a big H ?..it’s certainly bigger than a H, and has a H boiler..there is a hint that an O1 is on the cards out there.

Could be both.. a 4-Big and an O1 :-)

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

A few “engine sheds” ago Hornby referred to a “Big H”, but the latest collectors club refers to a “Big surprise”.

I’m thinking the SECR 01.. do Bluebell types refer to this as a big H ?..it’s certainly bigger than a H, and has a H boiler..there is a hint that an O1 is on the cards out there.

H15 or H16? They certainly qualify as big...........

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Could all be a big hoax of course. Remember Hornby ha e used images in the past of locos not in the range eg Jubilee in 1974. But I think this one could be real. It somehow has a ring of truth. Who knows . A Lord Nelson and a 4-BIG

• Like 2

Could be both.. a 4-Big and an O1 :-)

A "Big H" could even be a big Hush Hush! (Sorry if it has already been mentioned). They have the chassis and the tender already, so not to much new to produce.

Oh dear, I've now joined in the guessing game.

A "Big H" could even be a big Hush Hush! (Sorry if it has already been mentioned). They have the chassis and the tender already, so not to much new to produce.

Edit s/be "too".

Could all be a big hoax of course. Remember Hornby ha e used images in the past of locos not in the range eg Jubilee in 1974. But I think this one could be real. It somehow has a ring of truth. Who knows . A Lord Nelson and a 4-BIG

Followed by the 1975 catalogue, the front of which illustrated the Rocket that wasn't in current (Triang) Hornby production and two others, Jenny Lind and City of Truro, that have never been in either the Triang-Hornby or Hornby catalogues!

May I politely request that people stop referring to the Lord Nelson as LN. I keep thinking Hornbys big announcement is going to be a Leyland National. It would help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Only a problem if we're in a Corgi thread!  Context is all...

• RMweb Premium

How many would buy three sets to run them prototypically though?

I'm referring to 4CIG/4BIGs rather than Panniers.  ;)

Off peak, it was common to see 4-CIG+4BIG operating Victoria-Portsmouth Hbr/Bognor Regis via Dorking. These split/joined at Barnham, with single 4-CIG continuing to Portsmouth and single 4-BIG to Bognor Regis. Sometimes they split the other way. So no problem running either singly.

May I politely request that people stop referring to the Lord Nelson as LN. I keep thinking Hornbys big announcement is going to be a Leyland National. It would help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Nah.... Leyland Nationals are SNBs and SNCs. Or LS in central (red) London. I've heard then called "Nationals" elsewhere, but funnily enough never LN...

Edited by brushman47544

Only a problem if we're in a Corgi thread!  Context is all...

Except Corgi never made a National. Don't take it so seriously....

OK. So on the picture shown on the Hornby advert for the collectors club that has a green 2 car EMU that people seem to think is some sort of new unannounced Hornby model. The Layout is Abbots Barton and it featured in Hornby magazine in September 2016 and the unit shown appears to be a hybrid 2-BIL - the coach facing the camera is numbered 2100 (looks like a kit built tin-hal coach on it)

Edited by steve1023

• RMweb Gold

Some mistake surely? All those 70's modellers need buses to go on their bridges and a LN perfectly fits the bill ;)

Reminds me of a story once back when Lord Nelson was on the Mainline...

Standing by this bridge with a handful of other photographers, this guy drives up, stops winds his window down and says why is everyone standing by this bridge with cameras ?

This guy responds... “We are waiting for Lord Nelson” at which everyone nods their heads.

The guy in the car looks puzzled and says “you guys from the flat earth society or something, Nelsons been been dead 200 years” and drove off.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Perhaps the "BIG surprise" is that Hornby won't be making any announcements at Warley? ;)

I currently think that there are unlikely to be significant announcements at Warley show and that the likelihood is that there may be a return to Christmas or New Year announcements.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ahem .... http://www.countrybus.org/National/LN.htm#top , LNB & LNC :).

Meld

True but LNB and LNC are not LN...  And before anyone else points it out, London Country's first Nationals were LN1 to LN23. But IIRC they were based at SV and HF garages north of the river and I never saw them.

Edited by brushman47544

I thought the phrase used was a "Big H" announcement.

Still think it's the SECR H as preserved for the Collectors Club.

Jason

Forgive my lack of knowledge but could somebody explain how this preserved loco would differ in detail from the H Class that is already on its way?

Wern't Class 74 known as BIG ED's? Just a thought................