RMweb

The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold

Nice . I just hope Hornby don't catch a cold on this loco. They can ill afford it at the moment. I just can't see that with its limited geographical appeal this will disappear off the shelves quickly. If you consider people are already signed up to the crowd funded one and presumably committed to it . It further restricts the already limited market for this loco

I think there is still a market (perhaps a bit smaller than it was?) for 'niche market' models and the Class 71 will fall into that category plus it is quite an attractive looking machine in its original livery.  Within the straight 'I buy what Hornby makes' market it will clearly sell as it is something new and looks good; the wider niche market might decide to wait for DJM or simply go ahead and then have both - if that is an affordable option; while the 'Southern modeller' market will go for it if they think it's good enough (or wait for the DJM one if it doesn't measure up).

Undeniably the presence of the loco from two different 'manufacturers' will split some of the market areas but it won't split the whole market and that might work out ok for Hornvby

• RMweb Premium

Despite all of the concern at duplication, if each manufacturer sells their stock of a release and return a profit then the release has worked for them. The market has moved increasingly towards niche models and I suspect the days of a model staying in the catalogue year after year have gone (perhaps with the exception of the Railroad range). Even if we look at the A4 and A3, perhaps the two most popular locomotives of them all in model terms with an appeal that goes way beyond what are usually called serious modellers, and despite Hornby making beautiful models of each, it does seem they're struggling to maintain sales of each and the market feels overloaded. I think Hornby may have to put the tooling on a shelf for a while to let interest recover. In terms of the 71, it is one of the more obscure diesel/electric types, but Heljan have done pretty well with their range of unique pprototype/demonstrator locomotives and it is worth keeping in mind that recent years seem to have seen a huge growth of interest in modelling the third rail system thanks to the splendid efforts of Bachmann and Hornby to produce EMUs. And SE England is by a huge margin the biggest population concentration within the UK. So whilst it is limited to a small geographic area it is one which has seen major growth in model terms and has an awful lot of people for whom it is their local system.

I'll buy a blue one for sure. I'm honestly not that sure whether to go for Hornby or DJM, if Hornby come out with their first then based on the pictures I've seen I'm happy to buy a Hornby one. Then if I want another I'll maybe try a DJM one later. Either way, I think DJM will get my business when their ED version is released.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Suppose the issue is how much Hornby is sold to knowledgable modellers and how much to the train set lot.Many comments I heard at exhibitions makes me think their is still a large proportion to whom even Bachmann are a relatively unknown maker so the chances of them knowing of DJM is pretty slim. We have duplication of models since the 1960s so its nothing new.

Fair enough we've had duplications of 47s,37s HSTs all very widespread, but a 71,a somewhat limited prototype....................

Hope It does well for them, but I have my doubts. Of course,the Adams Radial also duplicated , similar limited geographical area but a pretty wee loco. Let's hope that's succesful too

• RMweb Gold

Fair enough we've had duplications of 47s,37s HSTs all very widespread, but a 71,a somewhat limited prototype....................

Hope It does well for them, but I have my doubts. Of course,the Adams Radial also duplicated , similar limited geographical area but a pretty wee loco. Let's hope that's succesful too

Agree we hope it's successful..depends upon your geographical horizons. I think your "doubts ".are influenced by yours maybe.The south coast of the UK is as fascinating in its way as the rest ofthe UK. In the early 60's this 'somewhat limited prototype'( ? ? ) had charge of both "The Golden Arrow" and it's nighttime "The Night Ferry" counterpart....hardly 'limited' but rather prestigious....in its day a shop window for Britain's railways.

Calling the Adams Tank 'a pretty wee loco' is likely to cause many SR enthusiasts to choke on their beer btw.It remains the epitome and icon of an English branch line.Much photographed and much loved.

... In the early 60's this 'somewhat limited prototype'( ? ? ) had charge of both "The Golden Arrow" and it's nighttime "The Night Ferry" counterpart....hardly 'limited' but rather prestigious....in its day a shop window for Britain's railways.

I must say that my earliest recollection of the class 71 is of a picture of one working the Night Ferry, published in a compendium of stories from Ian Allen Railway annuals from the early 60s. A book I enjoyed, with articles on the new Deltic loco, the Royal Train and how to drive a DMU amongst others......

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They've had a clear out of the test track, it looks suspiciously empty, no prototypes and just a few old locos lurking in the middle (eg the old B12 at 22").

The way the Peckett scurried about, I felt it should be pushing a wagonload of cheese.....

Looking good!

This and the LSWR Adams are the two locomotives I've been most looking forward to this year (unless the GNR Stirling Single is going to suddenly appear too!)

Hopefully the Peckett will be able to run slower than the EP with a bit of running in - I could get away with two, a 'Dodo' and a No. 11 ideally.  With the plethora of industrials appearing over the year I think it's time for a new 'industrial' layout......... :locomotive:

Surely takes the (H&P) biscuit...I want one and I want it now.Can't have it now? Then I shall sulk until it arrives.Surely no one will want to be without at least one of these.

I think I might do the same. Seems a very sensible course of action to me. Heaven help those around us!

I do hope the folks at Hornby don’t economise on the motor, though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I do hope the folks at Hornby don’t economise on the motor, though.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that the motor in this sample is what we'll get. Hopefully it will run well at lower speeds too. For now we just don't know, but why not?

Now where do we put the Bluetooth receiver, sound decoder and speaker. Maybe there could be some room left over for a lithium watch battery?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see the decoration samples of the B12, R3430 looks very pretty, only let down by the strangely coloured plastic wheel spokes that don't match the green on the rest of the loco! The only disappointment is the thought that we've (at least) another 7 months to go before we can get our paws on one!

(Any theories about the disintegrating Brit in the background to the photo of 61533?)

• RMweb Premium

Agree, that does look really good.

I see what you mean about the green of the wheels not matching the body. 

But overall it looks really excellent in LNER green.

Tom

Nice to see the decoration samples of the B12, R3430 looks very pretty, only let down by the strangely coloured plastic wheel spokes that don't match the green on the rest of the loco! The only disappointment is the thought that we've (at least) another 7 months to go before we can get our paws on one!

(Any theories about the disintegrating Brit in the background to the photo of 61533?)

Now that I have my breath back, the point about wheels is well made. Hornby tends to use unpainted, self-coloured plastic for wheels. That’s fine for black wheels and perhaps for Maunsell green ones but is most unfortunate for light-coloured ones. It jarred rather on the otherwise excellent LNER B17.

Looking at the B12 I can understand why Triang truncated the length of theirs; the loco dwarfes its tender and many might think it looks wrong.

Agree with that, having looked at the pictures - but even so, from those illustrations, this model has a ... presence ... like few others I've seen, certainly in R-T-R!  If the reality matches the pictures, this is going to be one heck of a thing, and I just regret I couldn't plausibly find a use for one.

• 2 weeks later...