Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

• RMweb Premium

Well I received mine today, actually addressed to Griffiths but to my address. Posted just as I went on holiday but I managed to get a signal in the farthest stretches of Donegal for my phone and asked the courier to redeliver today and they did. What a wonderful model. Well worth the wait. Very well protected in excellent box and postal wrappings.

I hope Griffiths has their one? Thanks to all those who emailed me about receiving ones addressed to me at their homes.

I trust this has all now been sorted out by the hardworking Locomotion staff, and thank you for all that has gone in to making such a special model.

Even if I would have preferred Gladstone!!!!

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2

The guy from APC that collected my spare Single on Friday (at the third time of asking) has just turned up at my doorstep today (Tuesday).............to collect my spare Single and return it to Locomotion.

Ian, glad to see you got a Single, even if it was not the one I returned on Friday that definitely had your name on it.

Phrases about arses and elbows come to mind.

I'm still waiting to hear from Rapido Repairs and/or Locomotion re return and replacement of my loco with the tender with the botched paint touch-up (post no. 1692). After initial good news (post 1719) complete e-mail silence from both after sending several chasers. Half a month from delivery and my loco is still sitting in its box!

• RMweb Gold

I'm still waiting to hear from Rapido Repairs and/or Locomotion re return and replacement of my loco with the tender with the botched paint touch-up (post no. 1692). After initial good news (post 1719) complete e-mail silence from both after sending several chasers. Half a month from delivery and my loco is still sitting in its box!

Blimey,  as annoying as it is, it is less than 2 weeks.

I get the feeling that half the working day is used up answering endless emails  :rolleyes:

Hello,

Sorry to hear that your issue is still outstanding. I have sent you a pm to try and get you resovled asap.

Anybody in Canada or the ROW received theirs yet?

They only "started" sending out international orders Tuesday. Mine is expected tomorrow and I,m in France (next door), I ordered on the first day it was announced, paid fully as soon as it was possible so I doubt there will be many international items sent before mine and they stated they need a good 2 weeks (I suspect more) to go through all the international orders. You should get a notification from UPS once sent (double check that, I had an address error which locomotion put right very quickly - thanks locomotion for your rapid attention there).

Started shipping yesterday and you are expecting delivery?

Teleporters are for Star trek not for Locomotion.

But they do have planes. It could be in the US in less time than a parcel comes to mine from Cornwall or other distant parts of the UK.

I tracked a courier delivery the other week and it took over 40 hours from sending to arriving. It was only a 200 mile journey.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Jason

I spent 30+ years in logistics.

Unless the recipients address is Louisville Kentucky airport, it is still not going to arrive anywhere outside of the UK today or probably even tomorrow.  In fact I doubt any will be airshipped until this evening at the earliest.

Remember your experience - well they also have to travel 200+ miles to an airport in the UK.  That too takes time.  Then booked in and registered.  Put on a freight plane* (maybe 1 per day, maybe less than 1 per day) and shipped out of the UK.

Customs cleared at the receiving airport.  Picked up and  sent to a central distribution centre.  From there they are put on trucks or may need to be air freighted for a further hop. Finally delivered to the customer in working hours.

*If Locomotion had used the Post Office, then passenger planes might also have come into play, but that would not have improved the delivery time by very much if at all.

They only "started" sending out international orders Tuesday. Mine is expected tomorrow and I,m in France (next door), I ordered on the first day it was announced, paid fully as soon as it was possible so I doubt there will be many international items sent before mine and they stated they need a good 2 weeks (I suspect more) to go through all the international orders. You should get a notification from UPS once sent (double check that, I had an address error which locomotion put right very quickly - thanks locomotion for your rapid attention there).

Thanks for that, I was a late-payer so may well be at the other end of that list, and FWIW a UK shop to my address in NZ takes 6-20 days depending on the vagaries of aeroplane space, airports, customs, couriers and so on.  I will be pleased if I hear a clunk on the doorstep within a month, and will start to worry after two months.

Back in the 1950s when I first took an interest in model trains from Britain it was normal to wait 6-9 months from announcements in such as Model Railway News, and the local retail price was just over double the UK price, so we are making progress. .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jason

I spent 30+ years in logistics.

Unless the recipients address is Louisville Kentucky airport, it is still not going to arrive anywhere outside of the UK today or probably even tomorrow.  In fact I doubt any will be airshipped until this evening at the earliest.

Remember your experience - well they also have to travel 200+ miles to an airport in the UK.  That too takes time.  Then booked in and registered.  Put on a freight plane* (maybe 1 per day, maybe less than 1 per day) and shipped out of the UK.

Customs cleared at the receiving airport.  Picked up and  sent to a central distribution centre.  From there they are put on trucks or may need to be air freighted for a further hop. Finally delivered to the customer in working hours.

*If Locomotion had used the Post Office, then passenger planes might also have come into play, but that would not have improved the delivery time by very much if at all.

Just to try and put some (probably optimistic) time lines on this:

Suppose I am Joe Bloggs living in San Francisco, USA

I received a message at 1500 hours BST yesterday (Tuesday) that my package was on its way with UPS.

What this means is that it is packed in a box, labelled with my delivery address and scanned into the dispatch system.  The package is still physically on a line in NE England.

The package moves down the line and gets sorted into a bag for distribution to the USA.  Other packages will be being put into bags to Australia, Germany, New Zealand, Canada, etc..

There will likely be other parcels from other suppliers with completely different goods also being handled into the bags.

After some time there are enough full bags to fill a track ( say 1800 BST).  The truck is loaded and sets off (1900 BST).  

In a truck this is around a 4 hour drive to the airport at Castle Donnington - so the driver will require a minimum 30 minute rest break en route.

Earliest arrival at airport 22:30.  The truck has to be unloaded and the individual packages checked for proof of export - important for those who want a VAT refund.  The evening plane has gone.  Customs have gone home and will not restart until 08:00hrs.  If there was a morning plane, you've missed it..  Plane is loaded and ready for take off 16:00 today.  9 hour flight time (this is a freighter not a passenger plane so flying for economy is the prime objective).  Arrives at Louisville Kentucky 01:00hrs tomorrow ( 19:00 hours local time)  Plane is off loaded.  Packages are inspected by US customs for inbound customs clearance, but they have gone home.  Start the clock at 08:00 tomorrow (Thursday) - Goods are then sorted and our package is put in internal flight bag for Los Angeles.  Take off 15:00 local time 6 hour flight plan.  Arrival 21:00 EST which is 17:00 Western Seaboard time.  Unload plane and sort the packages into local deliveries.  Bags of San Francisco deliveries amalgamated to make a full truck load  (23:00 local time).  Truck loaded 08:00 the following morning (Friday) and drives to SF centre arriving 12:00 hrs.  Truck is offloaded and local deliveries agglomerated for delivery - bags ready at 18:00hrs.  Saturday and Sunday - no deliveries.  Delivery scheduled for 14:00 Monday next week (local time).

Optomistic indeed, but it does happen without delays, sometimes.

You forgot to add time for volcanic eruptions in area of Indonesia, as might happen for we at the end of the earth, in CA I guess it's fires, but all very close to the mark, I think.

cheers

Of course if you pay premium prices you can get next day delivery from the UK to the USA. I received them frequently when working. However the package must be in the shipper's hands by about early afternoon UK time. I believe some of these came by passenger plane. Normally though about 5 business days.

My experience with parcels from Locomotion to Oz with UPS is about 4 days

From other retailers using Royal Mail, it can take 10 to 14 days & on a bad day 3 or more weeks 

First post here was April 2015 & I ordered mine on Dec 2016 which puts me way down the list.

I'll keep checking my email & one day in the not to distance future I'll get an Email that its on its way

John