Collett 'Bow Ended' Standard 57' Corridor Stock Coaches for 2016

Graham_Muz

Indeed so. I don't see that being a problem, but time will tell. I for one plan to do my part.

Quite so. I share a similar view when it comes to ex-LSWR types, subject of course to value-for-pocket money. And then of course Bachmann completely interfered with my plans with the launch of their Wainwright C. And that IMHO scored very highly in my valuation exercise, and like Ozex above, I found I could play my part.

PB

• 2 months later...

One thing I spotted is that they're due for release even earlier than they thought, 29th of January, I'm definitely gonna have to get these and the Bristolian train pack pre-ordered. Those livery samples have tempted me, plus being the GWR fanboy that I am *my first model loco was a GWR prairie tank after all*, this suits me well :D.

Did many survie  into maroon?

Good question.  They were starting to die out towards the end of the 1950s.  I will have a rummage for clues in that trusty but erratic source of info, the Railway Observer, but probably not today.  Don't forget that it takes a long time to introduce a new livery so inevitably there were some rather piebald trains at this time.

Chris 

• RMweb Premium

Coaches built in the 1920s for the Big-Four companies were getting long in the tooth by the time of the 1956 livery changes with a planned withdrawal in the early 1960's. BR seemed to work on a 40 years life-span but of course te Collett bow-enders were built over a 5-year period. The first coaches to lose their GWR livery in favour of BR blood & custard may have received blood & custard a second time if in need of a repaint before the 1956 livery changes and so it is probable these never got BR lined maroon. But any coaches in need of a repaint after 1956 would get maroon unless their repaint was due close to their planned withdrawal date. As usual photos taken in a given year will indicate the make up of colours. One cannot be scientific about these things and so photos for given years are the best indicators. Certainly the railway videos I have seen indicate a good proportion of blood & custard 1920 coaches in trains filmed in 1959.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

What era is that GWR livery?

GWR.org says 1927-34 but also in 1942 which is more descriptive.

any definitive from the pictures from Warley?

The top picture in post #330 shows the c.1929 livery - waist panel (as opposed to two single lines) with class allocations on all doors & GWR above the double shield.

The little numbers in the top right corner of the endmost cream panel are the seating allocations - looks like they read 1/24 - 3/24 (i.e. 24 firsts & 24 thirds) which is 1) correct & 2) an impressive piece of printing at that scale.

Pete.

Edited by K14

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if these were used on interregional trains to the Great Central and if so what diagrams would have made it up?  I'd like to get some but am unsure what types!

They most certainly did.The pre war Ports to Ports expresses,for instance Aberdeen/Glasgow to WR destinations.The best source is LNER Passenger Trains And Formations 1923-67. ( Banks & Carter ) you need look no further than this book.

Does anyone know if these were used on interregional trains to the Great Central and if so what diagrams would have made it up?  I'd like to get some but am unsure what types!

I cannot help with this one except to say GWR stock was somewhat route-restricted on other company's metals until the introduction of coaches in the 1930s marked on the ends with a yellow dot to signify they were acceptable to the LMS and LNER (with the usual restrictions within those companies). 

Good question.  They were starting to die out towards the end of the 1950s.  I will have a rummage for clues in that trusty but erratic source of info, the Railway Observer, but probably not today.  Don't forget that it takes a long time to introduce a new livery so inevitably there were some rather piebald trains at this time.

Chris 

Surprise!  I found a report of D95 BSK 4935 receiving lined maroon in summer 1958 and being formed into a set with lots of C46 SKs [sadly not C54s as I had hoped].  5110 emerged from shops with a coat of lined maroon paint in October 1959.  An encouraging report from October 1960 says: "A surprising number of the 1925-29 bow-ended coaches have been overhauled and repainted".  The correspondent, not credited but possibly the late R P Walford, may have been surprised because of the long standing GWR rule of thumb by which coaches were liable to be weeded out at the age of 30.  This is the best I can do, folks.  As always it is a good idea to seek photographs but good luck with trying to read coach numbers!

I'm hoping that there were a few left in blood and custard by 1961 ...

Chris

• Like 1

I'm hoping that there were a few left in blood and custard by 1961 ...

I was looking through some colour albums for something else and came across a Collett bow-end corridor third in blood & custard on 8th September 1961 if this helps.

Coaches in lined maroon were found between June 1958 and 27th September 1963. One definite running number in maroon on 5th August 1961 was W 5021 W (corridor second)

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

I cannot help with this one except to say GWR stock was somewhat route-restricted on other company's metals until the introduction of coaches in the 1930s marked on the ends with a yellow dot to signify they were acceptable to the LMS and LNER (with the usual restrictions within those companies). 

Nor I, but this crop of drawing 81080 (Lots 1351 & 1373, dated July 1928) gives the overall dimensions:—

post-26141-0-49296600-1449261957_thumb.gif

Pete.

• RMweb Gold

The situation was extremely complicated and changed over the years with many earlier restrictions being eased in BR times.  There were massive restrictions at one time on stock 63ft 6" long by 9ft 5.75 ins wide although the Instruction is not clear if that refers to the width over body or the width over handles.

Incidentally the BR livery vehicles should have the dimensions painted on the end - that started in  May 1952 following a slight coming together between a coach and a lineside tablet apparatus (on the WR).