Bachmann to produce S Stock for London Transport Museum

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

A great move by Bachmann/LT Museum.

I can see why they opted for the S stock - it's contemporary, and prototypically will eventually replace all the earlier sub-surface types with one basic type.

It means a layout using LU sub-surface stock can be modelled with just one type, possibly as an add-on to a National Rail layout with an automated shuttle, without needing to worry about owning the correct type of unit that previously ran (A60/62, C69/77, D).

It'll be interesting how many will buy a full 7- or 8-car unit as opposed to the base 4-car set.

• Like 3

Guest spet0114

It'll be interesting how many will buy a full 7- or 8-car unit as opposed to the base 4-car set.

In passing, I wonder if this release will prove a prototype for releasing other 'long' formation units?  By this I mean releasing a non-prototypical formation in a starter set and additional optional coaches for those who wish/can afford to buy them.  I'm thinking of things like the Prototype HST, APT-E or WR Blue Pullman), which have traditionally been dismissed as non-viable due to the high cost of a long unit.

Edited by spet0114

Ive been thinking, I may well adapt my test track into a proper test track which would allow a real life circle of track with test centre on the one side. I'm thinking something like Winderlath in Germany that Siemans use for desiro testing etc.

You could have steam in there for running in on a private arrangement, tube stock as per Old Dalby, Network Rail stuff to.

Hmmmmmmm....

Great Western

Well, in the now-locked thread about Bachmann's new model there was a photo of the Bachmann display cabinet at the DEMU exhibition today, and there was something that looked distinctly like the NR 150.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98964-new-model-from-Bachmann/page-13

Ah, but if you look carefully, it is not actually in a cabinet! It is resting on top of a mirror. I think someone is having a little joke.

A Malcolm Logistics livery 08

Please do tell me more, where is this to order?

• Like 1

As reguarding the prototype and where it can be seen, with the way rolling stock is moved and engineering firms compete for work you could use this as a reason to model one of these units just about anywhere on the national rail network.

As for the model it looks fantastic however an unpowered version would be useful for modelling being dragged from or to a depot or works. It would also be good as a start of a new line for underground stock. Maybe there will be some collecters club barrier wagons appearing in due course.

Me thinks I am going to have to start saving my pennies as I can always find a place for one.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Great news!

All these new layouts being built or modified to run London Underground, our Loftus Road (Kensington) layout has had an electrified District Line terminus that we've had completely empty for the last 10 years, now with something to run!

post-6896-0-32967500-1433015303.jpg

Looking forward to finally filling our bay platform gap, thank you very much Bachmann and LTM! :)

• Like 13

Can anyone who went to DEMU comment on the NR 150?  If a Collectors' Club model as suggested above, they will sell fast.

The NR 150 wasn't in the cabinet when I was there. In fact the tube stock was in its place. I did ask Denis Lovatt whether this was the collectors club model and he said no. The latest edition of Bachmann Times is due imminently so perhaps there's something else to come?!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What's not to like about Bachmann's / LT Museum's initiative? Even the price seems to be within where the market is now heading.

4 car mu commissioned by museum ( profits to museum) made in China for sale in UK. Bachmann £280 , Rapido £225. Both have lights, the APT possibly all sorts of gee whiz gizmo lights in test car and of course a working tilt mechanism . You could argue that the S stock is more mainstream , although I think that's debatable. If the markets heading that way it's because Bachmann are spearheading it

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Great news!

All these new layouts being built or modified to run London Underground, our Loftus Road (Kensington) layout has had an electrified District Line terminus that we've had completely empty for the last 10 years, now with something to run!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Looking forward to finally filling our bay platform gap, thank you very much Bachmann and LTM! :)

This is the type of situation where there's going to be a lot of sales potential for the S stock.

It's when you want an add an Underground service giving an extra dimension to an existing layout.

Only one unit is needed to create this impression, which can be run as an automated shuttle.

If Bachmann and EFE join forces to produce motorised versions of EFE's 1938 and 1959/62 tube stock models, I'm sure that'll be another winner for both manufacturers.

Fantastic announcement, for me this has really put an excitement into the hobby. What I find particularly refreshing is that it is only announced near release. Mike Walton and his team have done brilliantly to see the vision to deliver this model. I only hope it means we might also get the LTM GBRf Class 66 twin pack.

I must be the only one commenting here who pre-ordered instantly. Though how do we know whether we are one of the lucky first 250 to pre-order as I would love the certificate. I ordered at 10:10 as it took me a few moments to fish out the AMEX? Edit. LTM email you to say. Brilliant. Thank you!

Also considering we have been told to expect four car EMUs to cost over £400 I am chuffed with the price!

Thank you to Bachmann and the London Transport Museum for making this amazing commission, its made my weekend.

Now to buy myself some Class 20s and barrier wagons!

Regarding the LU 66's Denis said if we want them get onto the Museum!

Regarding the certificate have a look here, 4th paragraph.

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=359

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone who went to DEMU comment on the NR 150? If a Collectors' Club model as suggested above, they will sell fast.

Confirmed as someone on here with a distinct penchant for yellow getting ideas over beer to tease you ;)
  • Like 1

Its one of those "'I'd love to buy it, but could I justify having it?" for me. I think it will be an excellent model by the look of it. My only issue is that my layout is predominantly West Midlands West Coast Mainline based. Also, a prototypical train is 8 cars long, that's only one shorter than my Pendolino and one longer than my HST! I could always develop a London end or something like that! :D

Joe.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I can honestly say if I already had some Class 20s I would probably be buying the eight car set.

But because I don't already have the Class 20s then that would be an additional cost on top of the eight car set.

So if you think the eight car set, four Class 20s and several DCC Decoders that is the best part of a £1000.

As fantastic as it would be and look I just don't think I could justify spending that amount of money.

The annoying thing is that I was tempted to buy the Class 20s last year (20901, have one renumbered to 20905 and buy 20227 from LTM) but because their was nothing to run with them at the time, I decided to save the money. I just didn't think I could justify buying an additional three locos and have them just sat their seeing very little use. I'm sure I will be in the same boat as others here now wishing that I had bought them.

But underground trains have been done before have we already forgot underground Ernie?

Yes  Underground  Ernie!  BUT long  long   ago!!!!!!  I  had  an  EVER READY  ( The  battery  manufacturers)  Underground  Train  Set,  oval of  track    and a  3  car  train,  hours  of  fun.  It  was  3rail configuration the  track was  pressed  from some  sort of  alloy  with  the  centre 3rd rail insulated, power  was  from a battery controller.

If  i remember  correctly  the  cars  were  made  from  thinnish aluminium

No photographs  I am afraid,, as  I dont  think  they  had invented  cameras  then!!!!!!!

Edited by Stevelewis
  • Like 2

Good to see this one announced - I was begining to wonder what had happened to it (like I guess many who similarly heard in the semi-public domain, I knew this was in the offing).

Two observations - the doors do not look thick enough - the are hung outside the bodyshell with a prominent black air-seal. Dare I say they appear a little too flush, even if by only a fraction of a mm, this makes a visual difference?

Given Bachmann will likely have had access to modern digital drawings I can't see how this has happened... Someone in the design office so used to modern flush doors they decided the S stock should have them as well... :-o

Second - I presume the cars are numbered as an S8 (can anyone confirm?). While you could run as an S7, you would actually be running an S8-1! Are the headcodes changable to obtain an S7 destination?

I wish Bachmann/LTM luck with this model. Outside my realm, but nice to see one being produced... doors aside

Sorry to pick holes

Edited by G-BOAF

Does look good , but all the same its niche product for a niche client and a niche market , but good on Bachmann if LT have funded it ,even if it is a touch pricey.and may have a better shelf life than the Heljan LT locos which could be white elephants for retailers.

Second - I presume the cars are numbered as an S8 (can anyone confirm?). While you could run as an S7, you would actually be running an S8-1! Are the headcodes changable to obtain an S7 destination?

Taken from the LT shop FAQ.

4 Car Set

Driving motor A 21088

Driving motor B 21087

M1 car 22088

MS car 24087

Individual cars

M2 car 23088

MS car 24088

M2 car 23087

M1 car 22087

Aldgate. This destination is appropriate for an S7 train as well as an S8 car train. If future S stock models are produced a different destination will be specified.

Edited by Tase