Bachmann to produce S Stock for London Transport Museum

Andy Y

This is within my modeling era but outside the area, however having seen it at DEMU yesterday, I ordered a 4 car set as soon as I got home.  I have the LU 20's so It could be a diverted delivery!

I too wonder when we will find out if we were one of the lucky 250 / 300.  Hopefully not too close to September as I'll need to book the journey! 

• Like 1

This is all a bit strange. Although my personal preference is for the pre-rationalised (irrational?) railway, I have, by a convoluted route, ended up being involved with the construction of a layout based on a section of 4-track Metropolitan mainline in the Northwood area in the last days of the A60/62s. Early days yet but most of the boards are built, loads of 3rd/4th rail bits and bobs are ready to go and a good start has been made on Radley Models A Stock - including the adjustments necessary for a refurbished unit. 

At the time of planning it was felt that S Stock would be preferable but difficult. A Stock would have to suffice until some time in the distant future when someone might produce an S stock kit or we could get involved in 3D printing. 

This has changed the plans a little bit. The Radley A stock models won't have to be as plentiful (they work out more expensive than the Bachmann S stock) and will become De-Icer and "Heritage" units. and the Bachmann models will dominate the scene. The first S8 has been pre ordered and more will hopefully follow in due course. Some renumbering will probably be needed as I guess that if the model is a commercial success, future releases may offer different surface line identities. In any case we can't have all the the trains on off peak services to Aldgate from Watford Met (or Watford Junction by the time the layout is done) 

I have no idea if I was quick enough to be in the first 300 to get the train ride. They should organise a raffle for the forward facing seats!

The Bachmann Scenecraft "Art Deco" station buildings (Harrow-on-the-Hill) might become quite sought after.

http://yinnyang.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/London-Air-Condition-Tube-6.jpg

My apologies for rambling on but I'm a little bit happy about all this. I don't suppose many people were already in the process of building the layout on which the S stock could be the main attraction. And yes! we have the LU class 20s, the Pannier and Prairie, A pre order for the Met Bo-Bos (to be altered  when the source of Sarah Siddons is revealed) and GBRf/Metronet 66722. Matching the paint and finish of the Bachmann on the Radley will be the challenge.

Niche? 

RP

Edit for additional info: I have been informed that what I referred to as a De Icer unit is in fact the "Rail Adhesion Train"........whatever!

2nd edit to add link

Edited by Roy P
  • Like 7

This is within my modeling era but outside the area, however having seen it at DEMU yesterday, I ordered a 4 car set as soon as I got home.  I have the LU 20's so It could be a diverted delivery!

I too wonder when we will find out if we were one of the lucky 250 / 300.  Hopefully not too close to September as I'll need to book the journey! 

According to the Bachmann website the 'special timetable and collection arrangements will be posted online in early June'. I guess we'll find out if we're in the lucky 300 soon! 

I hope it's not too OT but I think that Bachmann as a rule, when upgrading existing models, tend to offer an alternative sub type - the new Warships or 25/1s for example.

If and when they get around to the Network Turbos, may I suggest that the 165 might be worth a go. To be seen alongside the S stock all the way to Amersham and not just for a few yards east of Ealing Broadway before Crossrail is finished.

(Yeah! I know. Some people are never satisfied)

RP

• Like 2

Will we get something like this next?

metropolitan004.jpg

Keith

It's a photo taken in 1904 which I have in an original 1933 book

I very much hope so!

In my view early camelback / steeplecab electric locos are charismatic and charming. There are still examples of the 4-wheel tinplate model of an NER ES1 around, but nothing recent RTR.

I'm lucky enough to have an exquisite Judith Edge ES1. More steeplecabs would be very welcome - and since the ES1 is in the National Collection, maybe it will emerge as a commission in the future? It seems a more likely subject than early Underground locos or the industrial steeplecabs.

Paul

• Like 2

Link here for the 08 mate.

http://www.modelrail-scotland.co.uk/ltded/2016-LE.html

HTH

Brilliant! Thank you for sharing, now how to order without going? I think I shall have to email and beg!

Regarding the LU 66's Denis said if we want them get onto the Museum!

I have been asking the LTM since the GBRf special liveries came out, I hope others are, as it sounds if Bachmann would be able to do the livery! Good news that Bachmann are game and I know the LTM would be if they believed customers would buy them.

Regarding the certificate have a look here, 4th paragraph.

LTM emailed me to give some amazing news, I am the first customer! :D I cannot tell you how chuffed I am with this!! Certificates shall be given to the first 250 customers and the first 300 are invited to the trip. Notices for this in June, where you can opt-out and allow someone on the waiting list to come?

This is just a brilliant announcement all-round. I have become increasingly aware I have far more loco's than multiple units and I am please this year and next it is mainly units.

This leads me to address all talk about the S stock being niche? London's population is over eight million, and tourists top over 16 million per year! A significant amount of these numbers shall encounter the S stock a lot, even at the smallest of percentages of then who would be actually interested in a model train - it is no doubt a significant number of potential customers.

What is niche is all these obscure loco's announced. I hope the S stock is a sign that Bachmann is turning a page on the obscure and going for the modern multiple unit which encounters hundreds more potential customers every day than a loco from the 1960s.

Now to settle on a 'London terminus' where the S stock encounters the Bachmann SWT Class 450 or Hornby's FGW HST and Bachmann FGW Class 166? Hmm, I have not been this excited with the hobby in ages (well since collecting my Realtrack 143!). Does the S stock encounter Virgin's Pendolinos and Voyagers at all? (Think I shall be needing more than one S stock eventually!)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Now to settle on a 'London terminus' where the S stock encounters the Bachmann SWT Class 450 or Hornby's FGW HST and Bachmann FGW Class 166? Hmm, I have not been this excited with the hobby in ages (well since collecting my Realtrack 143!). Does the S stock encounter Virgin's Pendolinos and Voyagers at all? (Think I shall be needing more than one S stock eventually!)

You have a few options, although none are completely termini.

Paddington is the most obvious, but a bit large for most of us in 4mm scale. You could just model the Bishop's Road part of the station.

Ealing Broadway

Richmond

Wimbledon

Wimbledon and Richmond would be where S stock and 450's would meet. SWT used to use the Wimbledon - Putney section of the District line for ecs workings. Not sure whether that is still the case?

In terms of FGW, surely Paddington would be a good (if a little big) location. Perhaps Royal Oak?

Edit: three minutes too slow!

Edited by kintbury jon
  • Like 2

Brilliant! Thank you for sharing, now how to order without going? I think I shall have to email and beg!

I have been asking the LTM since the GBRf special liveries came out, I hope others are, as it sounds if Bachmann would be able to do the livery! Good news that Bachmann are game and I know the LTM would be if they believed customers would buy them.

LTM emailed me to give some amazing news, I am the first customer! :D I cannot tell you how chuffed I am with this!! Certificates shall be given to the first 250 customers and the first 300 are invited to the trip. Notices for this in June, where you can opt-out and allow someone on the waiting list to come?

This is just a brilliant announcement all-round. I have become increasingly aware I have far more loco's than multiple units and I am please this year and next it is mainly units.

This leads me to address all talk about the S stock being niche? London's population is over eight million, and tourists top over 16 million per year! A significant amount of these numbers shall encounter the S stock a lot, even at the smallest of percentages of then who would be actually interested in a model train - it is no doubt a significant number of potential customers.

What is niche is all these obscure loco's announced. I hope the S stock is a sign that Bachmann is turning a page on the obscure and going for the modern multiple unit which encounters hundreds more potential customers every day than a loco from the 1960s.

Well done for getting in first.

I ordered mine when I got back from DEMU yesterday so fingers crossed!

• Like 1

LTM emailed me to give some amazing news, I am the first customer! :D I cannot tell you how chuffed I am with this!! Certificates shall be given to the first 250 customers and the first 300 are invited to the trip.

Be prepared to be carried shoulder high to the front of the train!

.......This leads me to address all talk about the S stock being niche? London's population is over eight million, and tourists top over 16 million per year! A significant amount of these numbers shall encounter the S stock a lot, even at the smallest of percentages of then who would be actually interested in a model train - it is no doubt a significant number of potential customers.

This raises an interesting point about the familiarity people, especially youngsters have with trains generally and the influence this has on any potential entry into the modelling fraternity. For years people have written letters to the magazines suggesting ways to encourage participation in the hobby but many fall into the trap of thinking it's all down to Thomas and Harry Hogwart. A touch condescending when one remembers how it started for many of us.

Models of "trains" familiar to the kids would, I believe have a stronger long term appeal. My lad would have loved an NSE liveried 313 unit when he was a kid and probably still would.

Having said that, I am grateful this new Bachmann model is not a toy or even one of those half-baked things that doesn't know if it's a toy or a model.

I am fascinated by the Kato range of "Metro" type models and the Japanese approach to model trains and wonder if the UK market would, in the long term embrace such a concept.

This is not strictly speaking about the Bachmann S Stock model as such but more echoing the question about what people perceive to be mainstream and whether (or how) it may be subject to change. The popularity of this model may give some small indication.

RP

• RMweb Premium

When I was but young most rail enthusiasts dismissed multiple unit trains as buggies and not real trains and few took much interest in them. There were still plenty of enthusiasts who thought the real train died when steam ended and there were even first generation diesel enthusiasts who thought that real locomotives were limited to types like the Deltic and Western. Now there are generations of rail enthusiasts for whom the multiple unit train is pretty much all they've known for passenger services and I think EMU/DMU types are just as interesting to younger enthusiasts as diesel hydraulics and steamers were to older generations. I was a bit of an odd one out as even back in the 70's and 80's I liked multiple units but I was in a minority of one in the local train spotting and modelling community. So I can see that a release like this may find much more acceptance than it would have in my youth. I think it is a splendid release.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The London Transport Museum produce some excellent merchandise. They once published a book called "Designed for London - 150 Years of Transport Design" which is a terrific book and well worth getting. I bought it many years ago in their Covent Garden shop and it is a fascinating look at design.

So then, how do we know if we're one of the lucky first 250 or 300? Pre-ordered but it doesn't say anything in the email. Really pleased with the S-stock announcement as it's finally given me and my dad the excuse to build an underground circuit underneath the layout

Michael Bentine made a nice underground railway layout.

Now we know why other Bachmann products are running late!

For the gauge converters, and just out of curiosity, there isn't the slightest chance of me buying one of these, what size of wheels does the prototype use, and will the model employ split axle construction?

Regards

• Like 1