Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Kernow Models Announcements

Andy Y

Kernow Model Rail Centre as part of the Kernow Model Railway Exhibition today announce they are to commission two major releases.

LSWR Class O2 0-4-4 Steam Locomotive

prod_31963.jpg

Designed by William Adams for the London and South Western Railway, 60 of these locomotives were built at Nine Elms Works between 1889 and 1895 primarily for London suburban traffic. Displaced by more powerful locomotives the O2s were dispersed throughout the LSWR system, their short wheelbase and relatively light weight being particularly suited to restricted branch lines.

As electrification extended and other more modern traction was introduced some examples were transferred to the Isle of Wight. Despite some early withdrawals the O2s lasted well into BR days when branch line closures left all the remaining mainland locomotives withdrawn by 1962. On the Isle of Wight they continued in front-line service until withdrawn in December 1966. Two examples remained to work engineering trains during electrification work, one of which survived to be preserved.

This preserved example, number 24 "Calbourne", will be laser scanned at the Isle of Wight Steam Railway. The data from this scan, in conjunction with drawings of the original locomotives, will allow us to create accurate models of these popular prototypes, including both types of coal bunker.

The models will be priced at £91.99 (which takes account of the VAT rate increasing to 20% in January) and delivery is expected by the end of 2011. The models will be produced by Dapol on our behalf using tools owned by Kernow Model Rail Centre.

The models will be to the same standard as the Beattie Well Tank and should make excellent companions for these models!

No deposits are required and no funds are taken from debit or credit cards until we are ready to send the models.

They will be producing four versions as detailed below.

K2101 Dapol 0-4-4 Class O2 Steam Locomotive number 24 "Calbourne" in BR Black livery with early emblem £91.99.

K2102 Dapol 0-4-4 Class O2 Steam Locomotive number 16 "Ventnor" in BR Black livery with late crest £91.99.

K2103 Dapol 0-4-4 Class O2 Steam Locomotive number 30182 in BR Black livery with early emblem and push-pull equipment £91.99.

K2104 Dapol 0-4-4 Class O2 Steam Locomotive number 30225 in BR Black livery with late crest £91.99.

Pictures of K2102 to K2014 are Copyright and courtesy of Colour-Rail.

Orders can be placed on-line through the Kernow website or alternatively if sending a cheque it should be dated 1st September 2011 or preferably left undated.

Bulleid 1-Co-Co-1 Diesel Locomotive

Designed by Oliver Bulleid for the Southern Railway the locomotives did not appear until after Nationalisation. 10201 and 10202 were built at Ashford Works in 1950 with 10203 being built at Brighton Works in 1954. The diesel engine and transmission was supplied by English Electric.

These prototypes had a relatively short life, all being withdrawn at the end of 1963. They had worked throughout the Southern Region and also had a short time on the London Midland Region during the mid 1950s. All three were cut up in 1968.

As with our D6xx Warship model we are working from drawings of the original locomotives. The tooling will allow for the differences between 10201 / 2 and the uprated 10203.

The models will be priced at £139.99 (which takes account of the VAT rate increasing to 20% in January) and delivery is expected by the end of 2012. The models will be produced by Dapol on our behalf using tools owned by Kernow Model Rail Centre.

The models will be to the same standard as the D6xx Warship.

Kernow have announced this particular model a little earlier than we had intended to ensure that we do not have any duplication of effort with any other party.

No deposits are required and no funds are taken from debit or credit cards until we are ready to send the models.

They will be producing three versions as detailed below - see them on our website by clicking on the picture.

prod_31967.jpg

K2701 Dapol Bulleid 1-Co-Co-1 Diesel Locomotive number 10201 in BR Black livery with early emblem £139.99.

prod_31968.jpg

K2702 Dapol Bulleid 1-Co-Co-1 Diesel Locomotive number 10202 in BR Black livery with early emblem £139.99.

prod_31969.jpg

K2703 Dapol Bulleid 1-Co-Co-1 Diesel Locomotive number 10203 in BR Black livery with early emblem £139.99.

Pictures of 10201 and 10202 are Copyright and courtesy of Graham Muspratt. Picture of 10203 is Copyright and courtesy of Colour-Rail.

Orders can be placed on-line through their website or alternatively if sending a cheque it should be dated 1st September 2012 or preferably left undated.

Cornish Riviera Coach Pack

Produced by Bachmann exclusively for Kernow Model Rail Centre, this will be a pack of four coaches finished in BR (WR) Chocolate and Cream livery. The coaches will carry correct numbers and roof boards as used in the Cornish Riviera which ran between London Paddinton and Penzance. The pack will contain 2 x BSK Brake Second Corridor coaches, 1 x SK Second Corridor coach and 1 x CK Corridor Composite coach. This coach pack will be particularly suitable for use with our Dapol D6xx Warhip models but also for the tail end of steam operation on the route.

The models will be priced at £114.99 (which takes account of the VAT rate increasing to 20% in January) and delivery is during 2011. No deposits are required and no funds are taken from debit or credit cards until Kernow are ready to send the models.

prod_28975.jpg

39-000G Bachmann Cornish Riviera Mk1 Coach Pack £114.99.

Class 08 Diesel Shunter Freightliner

Produced by Bachmann this model is sold on behalf of the EPB Preservation Group. Kernow Model Rail Centre will handle sales on behalf of the EPB Preservation Group to whom all proceeds will be donated. The model is of Class 08 Diesel Shunter number 08 691 named "Terri" in Freightliner livery with weathered finish. This model will be based on the standard Bachmann Class 08 and will be DCC ready with an 8 pin decoder socket.

The models will be priced at £69.95 (which takes account of the VAT rate increasing to 20% in January) and delivery is during 2011. No deposits are required and no funds are taken from debit or credit cards until we are ready to send the models.

32-106Z Bachmann Class 08 Diesel Shunter 08 691 "Terri" £69.95.

Orders can be placed on-line or by phone or post. Kernow would prefer cheques to be left undated.

Beattie Well Tank Update

Kernow Models also have test shots of the Beattie Well Tank on show as it gets nearer to completion.

003.jpg

004.jpg

30586 is shown with square splasher.

002.jpg

001.jpg

30585 is shown with the additional hand rail.

Orders can be placed for the above items at the show, over the phone on 01209 714099, via the Kernow website or in person at the shop from today.

Kernow Model Rail Centre, 98A Trelowarren Street, Camborne, Cornwall, TR14 8AN

Exciting times indeed for the BR steam/diesel transition modeller!

I wish Kernow Model Rail Centre every success with these products - they really are addressing the interests of the enthusiast part of the market.

Once all their commissioned models hit the market, Dapol will have quite a 00 range, even if their outlets are restricted to the commissioners.

Not that it can't be done with some transfers but I hope we'll see the O2 and Beattie Well tank in Southern paint down the road.

I am so annoyed, I wanted a GWR heavy tank and nothing GWR appears,;) what I'm actually peeved about though is the fact of all of the locos they could have chosen they chose the 02 which is going to lead to an impulse buy since I adore them . (Lets just hope one or two made it to S.Wales....).

m0rris

Brilliant news, thanks Andy!

I am absolutely delighted to see the Bullied 1Co-Co1 coming out - that must be the last of the big, reasonably successful prototype locos to be modelled? Don't quite know how to justify a couple but i imagine they will one day appear on my little layout!

No doupt there will be frothing galore, gnashing of teeth and beating of hearts about this but can we now wait before demanding any more new non-steam models, please?

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Gold

Oh wow, O2's now that was a pleasant suprise and the one Southern loco left that I really wanted. I thought I had managed to avoid temptation with the Beatties too but those images are seriously nice.

Right off to look at the Roxey site to see what coaches I can get for the O2 as a year might be enough time to get my finger out and build the stock for them, yes THEM.

biggrin.gif The SR diesel, no no O2's is enough for now, oh heck.

I can see the IOW book pile falling into the suitcase for the holiday.

Seriously though will all the manufacturers stop producing all my favourite models as I'm running out of space, frothing? I've just eaten an entire pack of Cherry Bakewells to celebrate laugh.gif

Pleased to see the "Triplets" announced,but a little surprised to see no green liveried variant, particularly as '03 especially spent more time in this guise. Perhaps they'll do them later?

Cheers, Peter C.

Wow !!

Well done Kernow

Two very useful gap fillers for the 4mm market - even if a number might end up in display cases.

As an earlier poster mentioned, my preference is for a green version of the diesel - as appeared on the WCML in the West Midlands.

I'm guessing that as the tools will be owned by Kernow, a future green release may happen, and will allow extra time to save the funds !!!

Great news and thanks to AndyY for bringing it to us.

Exciting, if I remember rightly Coachman was right!
My finger never lets me down........biggrin.gif

It must be very exciting news for Southern fans. The 02 is a cute machine and I wonder how long it will be before somebody (apart from Northstar Models) produces some suitable ex LSWR and SE&CR ready-to-run push & pull fitted passenger stock for these locos to haul.

The trio of diesels will no doubt find homes on many layout north of wherever the Southern Region ended. Kernow obviously have a keen eye for marketting....good_mini.gif

• RMweb Gold

I am absolutely delighted to see the Bullied 1Co-Co1 coming out ...................................... Don't quite know how to justify a couple ....................

Great news!........but I don't think that they ever ran to Brighton..........but hey............. there will always some excuse to run that RCTS/SLS special on Balcombe!tongue.gif wink.gif ...first it was the LMS twins....now this.........any old excuse!biggrin.gif

• RMweb Premium

Good to see, as O2s were at Bournemouth Central for a while :)

It's also good to see the Bulleid triplets are on their way.

Shame I didn't get the Adams Radial right, though I think it's only a matter of time before that gets done.

• RMweb Gold

Great news!........but I don't think that they ever ran to Brighton..........but hey............. there will always some excuse to run that RCTS/SLS special on Balcombe!tongue.gif wink.gif ...first it was the LMS twins....now this.........any old excuse!biggrin.gif

If 10203 was built at Brighton, it is inconceivable that it would not have tested on the main line. This is, as we know, a right race-track, and has been regarded as such for more than a century, since B4 #70 "Holyrood" did Vic-Brighton in 48m 41secs on 26th July 1903, hauling 3 Pullmans and a van - and that 7 years before the four-tracking extended beyond Earlswood! I would have thought a test train with a dynamometer car might indeed have paused at Balcombe to run round in the yard, perhaps....

... Bullied 1Co-Co1 ... - that must be the last of the big, reasonably successful prototype locos to be modelled?

DP2 is the obvious remaining omission, was big, and was more than reasonably successful. Mentioned purely as a matter of record though, not wanting to divert the threadwink.gif

can we now wait before demanding any more new non-steam models, please?

Ooh, I doubt thatlaugh.gif

A good set of announcmements there. Definantly going to get at least 1 O2, possibly a bullied diesel too (might wait for a green version) and the Cornish Riviera coach pack could be useful - does anyone else think this is a bit of a weird choice of coaches in the pack? a 4 coach set with 2 brakes makes it hard to buy 2 packs to extend the train , perhaps they should do a FK, CK, SK/SO and BSK instead.

The 4-coach train as marketted makes sense in that it gives the purchaser a complete train, as one can add individual coaches of choice then. A Dining/kitchen car might be an obvious first addition to run with the SO. I have a feeling a Dia. H43 'Centenary' Kitchen First Diner was in the consist when running behind the Warships...

• RMweb Gold
The 02 is a cute machine and I wonder how long it will be before somebody (apart from Northstar Models) produces some suitable ex LSWR and SE&CR ready-to-run push & pull fitted passenger stock for these locos to haul.

good_mini.gif

As Kernow are going to do some coaches to go with the Warship perhaps they will produce a set to go with the O2.

Also maybe a set of modern standard Bulleid coaches to go with the diesels? (I'll take 8 green and 8 blood and custard please)

Yay finally an O2, even though I knew about this 3 months ago, as the o2's used to run round cornwall thats why they were interested in doing them, but after we explained the difference between the mainland o2's and the IOW's O2's, i think he saw they would be more collectable because of the place names, plus you can always change them ;), i'll be getting one of these, one of my favourates and i worked on the overhaul for a couple of years, She will be scanned in the off season this year.

If 10203 was built at Brighton, it is inconceivable that it would not have tested on the main line. This is, as we know, a right race-track, and has been regarded as such for more than a century, since B4 #70 "Holyrood" did Vic-Brighton in 48m 41secs on 26th July 1903, hauling 3 Pullmans and a van - and that 7 years before the four-tracking extended beyond Earlswood! I would have thought a test train with a dynamometer car might indeed have paused at Balcombe to run round in the yard, perhaps....

You swine Ian, we'll have to get at least one of them now! wink.gif

Thanks to Vac Basher too for the info about 10201/2 being run-in on the Uckfield line after overhaul. ISTR a reference to one or both of the LMS twins also doing this after overhaul at Brighton. I've never seen any photos of any of them there unfortunately.

• RMweb Gold

You swine Ian, we'll have to get at least one of them now! wink.gif

Deeply sorry, of course! It seems you have two years to save your pennies, at least, so "budget provision" can be made in Q4 2012. To my mind this sort of advance info, as well as avoiding market duplication, does enable the punter to plan his expenditure a bit. Unlikely in Kernow's case, given the instant popularity of the models announced, but if such news were seen to be falling on deaf ears, then infinite postponement is still an option for the promoter/manufacturer without excessive abortive cost.

I think I might just be in the market for an O2, while the 0298 always seemed a bit of a stretch of imagination anywhere east of Wadebridge.

Archived