wenford dries - 7mm - 1983

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

I blame that Marc smith for this wink.gif laugh.gif ...if only he had not built that excellent minimum space O gauge layout that he recently posted!

Some of you may have seen my 2mmFS threads/blog and be curious as to the jump of scale. I guess when I think about it, my first real train set was the Triang 'Big Big Train' and I spent many an hour with a blue hymek, Mk II coach and various lengths of red track - interesting to see that if I had hung on to it all that it may have been collectable these days. So although I cut my railway modelling teeth in O gauge, most of my years modelling have been in N and more recently 2mmFS.

As has Marc, I have become increasingly interested in small scale layouts of late, probably coming from a lack of space to build larger but also the ability to try and start a project and take it to a logical conclusion before I become bored with it. I also am a fan of Ikea Lack shelves and am already using three x 1100mm lengths for my Coombe Junction 2FS layout and one x 1900mm length one for my sons 4mm layout. In addition, to begin with, I managed to pick up an original Lima class 33 from Aquitrain (Thanks Maurice - pleasure to do business with you) of which I bought to either upgrade (I understand the timing was perfect with an article in Rail Express Modeller) or one day convert to a class 26/27.

So....that's the context...here's the ideas...

Using one 1900 x 260mm Ikea Lack shelf, form a small O gauge layout to carry out a few shunting moves and dip the toe in this scale.

I usually prefer to model an existing prototype and have long been interested in Wenfordbridge dries. So the concept is to build a small extract which will probably feature an 08 shunter and a few clay hoods to move around. I will try to incorporate the fiddle/cassettes within the length of the board and at present I am thinking of a perspex screen to make the fiddleyard link as there exists no convenient overbridge etc on the prototype - still pondering about that one.

Using some handmade photocopied crude templates cobbled off the net I have mapped out the track plan on the shelf and as with my other shelf layouts, the beauty of this system is the concealed fixing which allows me to remove them from the wall in seconds, work on them and fix it back again out of the way. I appreciate that the width of the shelf leaves little room besides the track, but by incorporating the small siding it will allow the dries building to be quite dominant in front of the backscene and provide some depth.

The layout will be set in 1983, just before it was closed allowing a BR blue 08 and a handful of clay hoods which I believe Skytrex produce. The shunter will eventually be a Bachmann brassworks or one of the kits currently available.

I attach a few photos/sketches to kick this topic off and although I won't be posting progress immediately (as I have to finish a boxfile layout for an exhibition in May) I would welcome any comments and in addition suggestions where I could obtain some more information on Wenfordbridge dries as at the moment I have 3 photos to work with!

Thank you

Pete

post-3290-126996387355_thumb.jpg

Initial sketch of proposal...

post-3290-126996389731_thumb.jpg

View from dries end...

post-3290-12699639405_thumb.jpg

View from fiddle end...tape marks the line of the fiddle yard...

post-3290-126996395401_thumb.jpg

Lima class 33...awaiting some serious attention...

Edited by bcnPete
  • Like 3

I blame that Marc smith for this ;) :lol: ...

Oh dear!

It's not really my fault, is it?..... :lol:

I'm just glad "Mrs Pete" is hundreds of miles away.... :lol:

Looks a good plan - I'd like to have a go at a Cornish China Clay setting myself someday.

On "Clarbeston North" (the new name for my O gauge layout) I used a Peco point,

that I'd bought a few years back. Of course, using shorter radius pointwork will save you a lot of space.

Whether you build C&L or Marcway, or opt to buy a pre-built (I believe Marcway will make them to your spec)

the Peco points are quite lengthy, so you'll save a lot of valuable area - which is important in a small scheme.

As you're only using an 08 (+ maybe the 33?) again, their relative short overall lengths will help.

Re the perspex at the far end, you could always make a removable backscene....

A bit of painted sky, with some tallish greenery in front of it?

Wenford may not have had a convenient "view-blocker" but there are times when you can't avoid using your modellers licence!

An old disused building, and tall chimney would fit the Cornish picture...suitably run-down + overgrown of course..

Also, if you were'nt strictly adhering to the prototype location, you could always do what I did with Hendre Lane..

A mirror at the opposite end of the board could make the area appear much more spacious. I made a half-relief footbridge,

but you could just use some pipes and cables.....

(see attached picture - the footbridge disguises the baseboard edge, and makes the layout appear larger - that isn't another class 25!)

post-2973-127002556102_thumb.jpg

I'm sure the large clay-dries building will be fun to make.....

Now you've got me thinking about doing one...

Oh no, here we go again.... :rolleyes:

Good luck with building this one Pete, and keep us posted.

Best

Marc

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Oh Pete - what have you let yourself in for.......wink.gif

The idea of an 08 and a few hoods is certainly apealling - the clay dries might be a bit of a big build though!

I wonder if a pipe bridge (like Marc shows on Hendre Lane) might be a good view block - the clay was piped down off the moors in slurry form after all, a minor re-adjustment of arrangements could be justified? Otherwise some nice rampant vegetation could work - especially if you keep the layout at a high level.

I'll be interested to see how you go with this.....smile.gif

• RMweb Gold

There are also lots of conveyor belts in the china clay area, so an overhead conveyor system (similar to Mr Nevard's Cement Quay & extension) over the track would not seem out of place.

Stu

There are also lots of conveyor belts in the china clay area, so an overhead conveyor system (similar to Mr Nevard's Cement Quay & extension) over the track would not seem out of place.

Stu

Sounds like a good idea to me!

...Now if you could motorize the conveyor too.....

Marc

• RMweb Gold

Marc - Thanks...no really, Thanks... :lol: Its always interesting to have a number of different projects on the go...even if only in ones head.

Some nice ideas there...assume you meant the mirror would be at the far end to give the impression of the length of the dries and sidings. If so, I think that could work nicely. I was anticipating leaving the buffers off those two tracks to give the impression of continuation and the mirror would help any run away trains!

Also the use of pipes at the other end could solve that. If I can source some shots looking the other way there may even be some of those small shelters which the 08 could disappear behind?

In terms of the 33, that would probably not run on the layout - If I am sticking to prototype I guess its an 08 and a few hoods - shame really, a Large Logo 37 (say 37175) skulking in the sidings would be rather tasty! The 33 was bought as something to test run on the track as I can't see myself making one of the small type industrial private shunters - am strictly a BR blue sort of guy!

Rich - Thanks for your interest - I guess anything to do with china clay sets the alarm bells ringing for you! There is something compelling about clay dries and the excellent 'Wheal Elizabeth' is one such example to name a few. I will get back on with my oxn version of Coombe Junction later this year (as I am quite excited to start the Moorswater dries and Viaduct in more detail) but this is a slight diversion and gives me something to research and think of in those dull moments.

Stu - Thanks also - that's a nice idea - I will try to find something suitable.

Other than 3 different shots of an 08 with some hoods, I can only seem to find the following, so research is difficult at present

Wenfordbridge_01

Thanks all for your interest in this project - It may be slow in taking off but I will update as and when I can with anything of interest.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Update - Just when I thought the 7mm phase was starting to pass me by, this turned up in the post yesterday...

post-3290-127243627537.jpg

post-3290-127243629357.jpg

post-3290-127243631855.jpg

Its a Skytrex RTR model and for 50 notes, well worth it I think. Surprisingly it does not have the ECC logo on the tarp but I guess that should be relatively easy to add. Overall a nice model which needs a little further weathering to perhaps lose the 'plasticness' in places.

I can just see a small rake of these being rearranged with an 08...

Also, during my 48 hr trip to the UK last weekend I collected my copy of the Rail express Modeller with the transformation of the Lima Class 33 - I really had to look twice at the pictures as the conversion is superb.

Hmmm....that's got me thinking again about this...must finish Kyle first though....then there's Coombe Junction to finish...and my sons 4mm layout... :blink: :blink:

Pete

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi Pete,

Yes, those Skytrex hooded wagons look great don't they!

Tarpaulins are very hard to model well, but skytrex have done the job for you....and very well too.

I'm sure you'll be able to get an ECC transfer on there quite easily.

Keep up the modelling, and don't let those 7mm thoughts go..... :rolleyes:

Marc

• RMweb Gold

Keep up the modelling, and don't let those 7mm thoughts go..... :rolleyes:

Marc, Hi

Thanks for this.

Yep, the 7mm phase has faded a little...but I am tracking a few 7mm blogs/layout topics on here to keep in touch.

The 2FS Kyle boxfile layout is now packed away, I am back on my 2FS Coombe Junction layout and this weekend I am going to be completely immersed in 2FS at the EXPO...but...that said...I still do like the idea of doing this layout... ;)

Pete

Interesting how china clay brings out the best in manufacturers - the Clayhood , and CDA must be two of the best wagons Skytrex produce - Infact the CDAs seem to have been very popular as they're hard to get now. Both excellent value for money too - I can see why you've given in to temptation .

A 7mm Heljan 37 , done up as William Cookworthy would go very nicely with those hoods... cool.gif

TFN

Jon

Marc, Hi

Thanks for this.

Yep, the 7mm phase has faded a little...but I am tracking a few 7mm blogs/layout topics on here to keep in touch.

The 2FS Kyle boxfile layout is now packed away, I am back on my 2FS Coombe Junction layout and this weekend I am going to be completely immersed in 2FS at the EXPO...but...that said...I still do like the idea of doing this layout... ;)

Pete

Hey Pete,

Modelling several different scales / gauges can be distracting...

but it can work out OK.

It's fine to concentrate on one for a bit, then shift interest,

as long as you keep the one on the back burner in mind.

In fact, it can be good to put a layout aside for a short while -

you get to look at it a bit differently after a bit of a break..

I managed to build 3 layouts in 18 months (2 different scales)...

my next is the steelworks project (which will hopefully be finished by October)

but I'm planning a really tiny 7mm diorama too.

...All this and I still haven't started the 7mm layout I'd originally planned!

Oh, and cos of Roger (Rouse) I recently acquired some n gauge stuff too.....

(but was a bargain, honest dear!)

Braty Bridge (aka Roath minor, the crate) was a complete distraction from my plans, but it got me thinking about different plans too,

...if I'd started the steelworks or the other 7mm layout after finishing Hendre,

I probably wouldn't have even thought about doing "Clarbeston North"

...sometimes, distractions can be a good thing!

Hope the 2FS stuff goes well -

post some more pics + reports...

Marc

Hi Pete,

Good luck with the layout, biggrin.gif I bought a Lima class 33 and a Nigel Stanley conversion kit to convert it to a 27 last year. I was only going to built a wagon but seeing Brian Danials thread has got me in. I went back to the UK in Feb and caught up with a few friends, all have 7mm stuff I was visiting a friend one morning and looking at all his 7mm stuff when a parcel arrived, he came up the stairs with a big smile on his face and proceeded to unpack a new Heljan class 20. Maybe when I finish my 4mm stuff I will get a bit more done as you say it's not cheap, but boy does it look good.

Cheers peter.

• RMweb Premium

I was wandering around this area yesterday in a bit of a panic looking for a school I was meant to be visiting. Looks like there is some good potential here, but how many layouts at one time Pete?????? laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Marc - Thanks - It hasn't disappeared...one day I will build Wenfordbridge...I was even contemplating it as a 2FS boxfile layout!

Peter - Thank you - Yes I can relate to that - all the members of the club I belonged to 25 years ago have all moved to 7mm...and after that there's no going back I guess...I need to top up my pension funds first...so it may be a little while off yet!

Kris - I know...I know...but there is nothing wrong with juggling...and sometimes its good to drop a few of the balls! At the moment I am full on with the 2FS after the Expo last weekend, and I have my sons asking for progress on their 4mm layout...with the exception of Kyle, they are all china clay layouts...which you can never have enough in my opinion!

Martin - Thanks - that would be very useful if you can post the images...it might kickstart the project again!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Update - Not really much to show I am afraid but I have been giving it a lot of thought whilst on hols.

I may need to rethink the project I feel. Whilst I enjoy the idea of building this layout, I have to keep reminding myself what am I actually trying to achieve exactly? With my other layouts there are/have been clear ideas, mainly recreating from memories however, having never visited Wenfordbridge, what are my primary objectives:

- A toe dipping exercise in the Senior Scale (hence the Lima Class 33)

- Must fit on an IKEA shelf (due to lack of workshop/garage etc)

- Small and simple plan

- Some fun to shuffle some rolling stock to and fro

- Must be based upon a prototype

The last one is a key driver for me as these days, whilst I appreciate the hobby, I do really enjoy the research aspect and the idea to try and recreate something that existed.

So either Wenfordbridge will be altered by having an offboard fiddleyard or perhaps I need to rethink the location... :unsure:

Pete

I know these feelings too. You get halfway through project and wonder if you could squeeze in an extra siding or another feature and before long you have moved away from your original concept and what you end up with it either too big, too unwieldy, a sod to operate and eventually provides no pleasure. Had the same with Notley which started out with 4 scenic boards and ended up with 5. as it happens a good move but it could so easily have grown further. The problem I am going to have is that the fiddle yards are a tad too short for the length of train so I may have to have a 12inch cantelever extension on each end which pushes the length again. Should have stuck to the 4 boards concept and had slightly longer fiddle yeads. At least it might have gone up in the house whereas its just too big for that and we have no level ground outside!

Hope this works out for you as its a really promising concept.

regards

Paul R

• RMweb Gold

Paul R

Thanks for this - I will ponder some more on Wenfordbridge...I see that someone has posted some photos of it today in the gallery and it kind of enthused me again for the project...perhaps an 08 shuffling a few hoods around isn't so bad after all :D

Paul R

Thanks for this - I will ponder some more on Wenfordbridge...I see that someone has posted some photos of it today in the gallery and it kind of enthused me again for the project...perhaps an 08 shuffling a few hoods around isn't so bad after all biggrin.gif

I am glad that my photos enthused you - they were taken yesterday before the heavy downpours in Cornwall today. I have some more photos only slight variations on what has already been posted happy to share them if they would be useful to you. The things that surprised me about the Wenford Bridge dries was how long they were and how access from the line was somewhere in the middle as the was evident by the concrete buffer at the Bodmin end of the dries

Good luck with the project - we all have go through phases were we are wonder if a project is worth carrying on, but we usually do continue on!

Xerces Fobe

A neat looking idea and one to watch!!!

What radius points are you planning on using? Your templates look almost like Lima points to me. Those are very tight indeed - 2ft radius I think - and from my experience even short 4-wheel wagons are going to struggle to go through them (especially the reverse curve in the crossover)without buffer-locking, with scale couplings. Marcway 4ft radius points might be just a bit better.

To memory, that's at least four layouts you've started, thanks, another one for me to bloomin' bookmark!

BTW, have you got shares in IKEA or something?!?

Regards,

Sorry about the multiple posts (now deleted) of the above message, it was, as a certain fast food chain would call it, a McGlitch!

• RMweb Gold

To memory, that's at least four layouts you've started, thanks, another one for me to bloomin' bookmark!

BTW, have you got shares in IKEA or something?!?

Regards,

Thanks - You're right - this is the 4th...although my wife hasn't registered this one yet as it's only bits of paper at present ;)

No shares in IKEA but I always thought these lack shelves would make great baseboards...lightweight, they don't seem to warp, discrete fixing allowing easy removal/replacement, nicely finished and cheap - even the long shelf is under €20 :D

Just a satisfied customer and all that...

• RMweb Gold

I am glad that my photos enthused you - they were taken yesterday before the heavy downpours in Cornwall today. I have some more photos only slight variations on what has already been posted happy to share them if they would be useful to you. The things that surprised me about the Wenford Bridge dries was how long they were and how access from the line was somewhere in the middle as the was evident by the concrete buffer at the Bodmin end of the dries

Good luck with the project - we all have go through phases were we are wonder if a project is worth carrying on, but we usually do continue on!

Xerces Fobe

Thank you - Yes, it was your photos that sparked my interest again. I am still having trouble finding the original track plan and matching your photos and the other few that I have to it though - any ideas where I could find this out? Thanks also for the offer to share the others - Yes please!