The newly announced Bachmann 3F tender loco

Guest Phil

• RMweb Gold

Below is a picture of the new 3F (Hornby Magazines review sample) taken last weekend on Mike Wild's Layout Berrybridge at the Warrington show. She certainly runs well, now to have a think about what I might be able to use the chassis on ...

post-243-0-43434300-1319715917_thumb.jpg

I saw one on the Bachmann stand at the Bristol Model RailEx back in May. I had ordered one prior and at such an excellent price compared with the refurbished Hornby LMS 0-6-0 I think it is excellent value for money. Model Rail has video footage of their sample on Facebook pulling 13 coaches. Then Bachmann announce the SR C class 0-6-0 which was running on the Bluebell when I visited, so may end up purchasing one of them too. All mouth watering stuff.

I model LNER and BR other regions and I think we will see a new LNER 0-6-0 in the near future because these will sell. Hopefully as Brit70053 (John) has said a J21, 25 or 27.

MArk in OZ

A Martian might think the LNER only had Pacifics... ;)

... and definitely only tender locos in BR power class 4 and up. This has been the enduring hole in RTR generally, the small tender locos from power classes 1 to 3. I think the market has matured enough that people will now actually purchase good models of the small workaday types.

Regarding the usefulness of a low motor mounting within the chassis, the SECR C1 model which will need to have the motor fairly low down for the round top firebox is my 'banker' on that front. Or have Bachmann gone for a low mount from the off to this end?

I saw one on the Bachmann stand at the Bristol Model RailEx back in May. I had ordered one prior and at such an excellent price compared with the refurbished Hornby LMS 0-6-0 I think it is excellent value for money. Model Rail has video footage of their sample on Facebook pulling 13 coaches. Then Bachmann announce the SR C class 0-6-0 which was running on the Bluebell when I visited, so may end up purchasing one of them too. All mouth watering stuff.

I model LNER and BR other regions and I think we will see a new LNER 0-6-0 in the near future because these will sell. Hopefully as Brit70053 (John) has said a J21, 25 or 27.

MArk in OZ

Probably be a J21 or J25 if it happens, because these have been available as kits for years.

I think the market has matured enough that people will now actually purchase good models of the small workaday types.

The cynic in me says that people will buy whatever the RTR manufacturers produce and then create a rational reason for having done so.

• RMweb Gold

The cynic in me says that people will buy whatever the RTR manufacturers produce and then create a rational reason for having done so.

Cynical? When people are happy with their purchases, and manufacturers are encouraged to give us more of the same quality? I call that win-win. And just compare two contemporary threads, the Hornby 4-VEP and the Kernow 0298 tank. In the one case, the EMU is the subject of endless hand-wringing for its iffy appearance and performance, while the Beattie just reaps endless adulation - and has outsold any realistic estimate of the number of models of Wadebridge in 4mm, surely. I think the market - to the extent that RMWeb is any measure - remains discerning, but will properly reward a good model with sales. RTR never had it so good!

Yes, at Weymouth yesterday one of the traders said to me 'have a look at this Paul', and passed me a 'Kernow' Well Tank - absolutely stunning model, now how can I justify one on a Black Country based layout :unsure: .

Sorry for going OT.

Yes, at Weymouth yesterday one of the traders said to me 'have a look at this Paul', and passed me a 'Kernow' Well Tank - absolutely stunning model, now how can I justify one on a Black Country based layout :unsure: .

Sorry for going OT.

Orrrr. Yo know as it meks sense arrr kid.

Doh yo know as them trialed one on the Dudley dasher back in 1952, but there war enuff wareter in the tanks our mon.

t

• RMweb Gold

I agree with this, Jol, in that the RTR manufacturers are to a certain extent, creating their own demand.... (especially for Southern layouts!... ;) )

Possibly a tad cynical even for me, but that said, borne out well enough by postings on this very forum. It does tie in with a remark of mine somewhere or other, that many modellers actually 'become' aware of particular prototypes via Internet discussion of them rather than through original thought or research.

• RMweb Gold

Possibly a tad cynical even for me, but that said, borne out well enough by postings on this very forum. It does tie in with a remark of mine somewhere or other, that many modellers actually 'become' aware of particular prototypes via Internet discussion of them rather than through original thought or research.

And are then attracted by its 'prettiness' or quirkiness plus in the pre-release build-up and debate about the angle of the lamp brackets or some other piece of infinite detail they find out about some previously unheard of piece of railway and set out to look for more about it. Someone will no doubt eventually announce the 'right' NER 0-6-0(s) and the Stainmore Line or the Rosedale branch will suddenly become as well known as the Wenford Bridge branch is becoming.

• RMweb Gold

It does tie in with a remark of mine somewhere or other, that many modellers actually 'become' aware of particular prototypes via Internet discussion of them rather than through original thought or research.

Wasn't it always thus? I mean, before we had the Internet, your knowledge of railways might be limited to those around your locale, but if you spent time in W H Smith or the library you might find out a few things further afield. My interests in things beyond Southern Region were stimulated by Railway Modeller Layouts of the Month, and to a large extent, RMWeb has the same effect in C21 guise. It generates the original thought, surely? Then there is the opportunity to build a copy-cat version of the admired layout - or do the research and come up with a different take.

Even apart from the Internet, resources have never been more abundant, with so many quality books now available, many in colour, at least for things from the '60s onwards. Very often we see such works being recommended on here when a question is asked, so, just like the plastic and brass, books get bought, encouraging more from the publisher. Isn't that all good news? More knowledge, perpetuating understanding of things now past, and, as you pointed out earlier, even the construction phase of a layout involves some skill in planning, building, wiring and hopefully scenicking. Yes, it may be all RTR and Skaledale - but it probably looks at least as plausible as the layouts many moderately-skilled modellers were in a position to generate 50 years ago, and it's a £ to a pinch of salt that it runs better. I'd call that progress of a sort, at least.

Wasn't it always thus? I mean, before we had the Internet, your knowledge of railways might be limited to those around your locale, but if you spent time in W H Smith or the library you might find out a few things further afield.

My interests in things beyond Southern Region were stimulated by Railway Modeller Layouts of the Month, and to a large extent, RMWeb has the same effect in C21 guise. It generates the original thought, surely? Then there is the opportunity to build a copy-cat version of the admired layout - or do the research and come up with a different take.

Even apart from the Internet, resources have never been more abundant, with so many quality books now available, many in colour, at least for things from the '60s onwards. Very often we see such works being recommended on here when a question is asked, so, just like the plastic and brass, books get bought, encouraging more from the publisher. Isn't that all good news? More knowledge, perpetuating understanding of things now past, and, as you pointed out earlier, even the construction phase of a layout involves some skill in planning, building, wiring and hopefully scenicking. Yes, it may be all RTR and Skaledale - but it probably looks at least as plausible as the layouts many moderately-skilled modellers were in a position to generate 50 years ago, and it's a £ to a pinch of salt that it runs better. I'd call that progress of a sort, at least.

Ian, I'm not sure how to respond to this, as I think you've possibly replied outside of the context I intended (which is probably my own fault for making a glib observation). I was talking more of awareness of particular loco types, not railway companies or modelling subjects per se. But to use your scenario; some modellers are undoubtedly aware what they'd need to populate a layout, but there are many more who have the layout already and ask if such and such an RTR model could be justified on it. I'm not necessarily saying that's a good or a bad thing, simply that it is an observable phenomenon.

I assume the Ks 14xx and Autocoach came before all the GWR BLTs? The most accessible models dictating the building for many coupled with then seeing more of that type of layout at shows maybe..

It'll be interesting how much extra 3rd rail turns up on the exhibition circuit now the units are out for it.

Ian, I'm not sure how to respond to this, as I think you've possibly replied outside of the context I intended (which is probably my own fault for making a glib observation). I was talking more of awareness of particular loco types, not railway companies or modelling subjects per se. But to use your scenario; some modellers are undoubtedly aware what they'd need to populate a layout, but there are many more who have the layout already and ask if such and such an RTR model could be justified on it. I'm not necessarily saying that's a good or a bad thing, simply that it is an observable phenomenon.

This could be construed as the case for me.

I happen to think that the Midland 3F is better shaped, or dare I say more attractive than the 4F. Based on the information that Bescot had some 3Fs I picked up an old Triang example with a view to hacking it into something a little more realistic. Then Bachmann announced their 3F !!!!

Earlier in the thread I mentioned the trio of 3Fs which, according to records were transferred to Bescot, but as yet have failed to find anyone who remembers them, nor photographs of them during their brief sojourn in the West Midlands. It is not really debatable whether I chose to have a Bachmann 3F based on the Bachmann product, but maybe that I researched what locos Bescot had allocated in the 1960s and found this trio.

• RMweb Gold

I think, in fact, it was I who became a bit tangential, for which I apologise. As it happens, I am a great believer in the stud being correct - which the loco at the heart of this thread is going to assist for many, I hope - but agree that the CoTs, Midland Compounds and Beattie 0298s of this world do have a tendancy to sap/zap the moral fibre of the most dedicated modeller. I think Jenny Emily captured the moment with her "Ooh! Shiny!" remark a while back. For those who step off into a new direction as a result of such a purchase, I suspect a minority will then engage real creativity by at least kitbuilding something, as I am struggling to do in finishing a mere Ratio Bogie Van B to act alongside my Hornby Maunsells, as well as some wagon kits. Craigwelsh's point about K's 14xx (then) and third rail (now) is on the money here.

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the 3Fs on the Somerset and Dorset, does anyone know a knowledgeable source for which ones ran on the S&DJR, and which, if any, of the Bachmann ones are best suited to be used on an S&DJR layout? Also, did they ever get to the Southern end of the S&DJR (that is, onto the L&SWR metals beyond Broadstone)?

Archived