James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

Guest 40-something

Take a look at this dirty stop-out!

26860578956_a7988aac2e_b.jpg47467 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Possibly one of the greatest hangovers from British Rail days was 47467 - a workaday '47' soldiering on in faded 1980s colours, miraculously until 1999!

26289253684_1dd89865e4_b.jpg47467 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Probably one of my most challenging weathering jobs I've yet to try on a loco, this has taken much trial and error! In this internet age, you can't just do a ridiculous weathering job without backing it up with hard evidence - ladies and gentlemen I encourage you to click the following links to find the prototype pictures I've been working from... 

Firstly, here's a 1999 prototype shot of 47467 at it's final resting place of Wigan CRDC on Flickr, taken by user 'Kingslynn47576'

https://flic.kr/p/e3wGav

And here is another shot from user Timothy Rowley -

13918793898_e80c988aa5_b.jpg47467 by Timothy Rowley, on Flickr

47467 is another one of my vulnerable class 47 models to come from the colourful LWCW ballast pool (a pattern emerging here?) of the late 90s, this has been on my modelling 'to do' list for far too long! This loco lead a relatively unassuming life with BR and then EWS, sadly ending its days in 2000, still in this gorgeous mess of a livery.

So with the objectives set, it was time to get to work! The catalyst and starting point was the recent release of Bachmann's large logo blue 47436, picked up specially for the project at Ally Pally. I rarely ever buy brand new locos but this was fully justified!

26289248244_cc7ff0a1f7_b.jpg47467 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The loco was renumbered using Fox's yellowy old transfers, probably as much of a relic as the loco was ironically! I was looking for some curly '7' transfers, so that's the only deviation to the prototype with this project.

Now when it comes to music, I should've been clever and listened to Visage's Fade to Grey, but epic Swedish electro singer Fever Ray instead provided the soundtrack to layers of white paint covering the entire loco to fade that bright blue paintwork right down. 

26894333455_0697bf2ddf_b.jpg47467 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Having muted the paintwork to a paler blue, the next stage was to jazz it up with the funky light blue patches! Sky blue Humbrol was dry brushed onto the bodyside and scrubbed around, and mottled with cotton buds.

26621598430_60de27bbcc_b.jpg47467 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Look closely at the prototype pics and you'll see so many different shades from light to dark, these were added on - some whites, lots of greys and cheeky rusty patches revealed by scratches, peeling and chipped paint!

26800903262_4084a0316b_b.jpg47467 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The rust chunks were created with lighter dollops of Humbrol 62 brown painted on, and then darkened at the centre with shades of 186, 113 and anything else darker I could find!

26289222104_9823c5f737_b.jpg47467 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

47467 was at some stage subjected to the 'Tyne Yard' black paint treatment on the headcode panels, and has yellow-ringed marker lights at the No.2 end.

26621572690_0d205b2150_b.jpg47467 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

With the yellow ends also being very muted, there was evidence of patch painting, so some parts where jazzed up with dry brushed coatings of brighter warning panel yellow, and more rust spots touched in, just as on the Flickr photos.

Underframe tanks had to be changed to the version with just the battery boxes, using the mouldings from an old Heljan model, and cut around the dangly Bachmann tail lamp switches!

26621561620_6992ab5d3c_b.jpg47467 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The roof was left in the original Bachmann grey, but received a coat of Humbrol 32 Dark Grey, painted on and wiped off for the initial weathering. This was later accompanied by airbrush weathering using dirty black, and exhaust weathering using matt black with a tinge of blue. Some of the dirt streaks down the side, drybrushed in several shades during the project. The key is not to go OTT here!

26289198584_3da041cd1b_b.jpg47467 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Finally, the model received a driver, cab detailing, engine cutout switch and further traffic weathering, before a final varnishing. I'm trying out one of those cheap new Hattons DCC decoders, though this may be replaced with my last Loksound '47' decoder should it be deemed to be a hellfire beast worthy enough to get the sound treatment! 

26289181344_4863675b5f_b.jpg47467 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Now ready to head a train on Worthing MRC's Loftus Road at Portsmouth next Saturday 14th! 

26621545340_e34df48bbf_b.jpg47467 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Overall, this has been a really fun project to work on, a loco I remembered as a kid but never thought I'd ever tackle, and I must admit I had doubts a few weeks ago, wondering just what I'd taken on...unlike a wagon, you've spent a lot of money and can't really get away with doing a half-hearted attempt!!

Looking forward to hopefully seeing some of you guys at Portsmouth show next week if you're about! :)

Spectacular James, probably the best weathering I've seen on a British model

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciated! I hope to get some good snaps of it running next Saturday, it might've just bumped my EWS 47785 off the MOD working I think!!

• Like 1

Superb James,

I always liked the Large Logo livery myself.  You have done a brilliant job though it was a shame to see them get so faded and worn once the new liveries started to appear.

Let us know what you think of the decoder I need a few 21 pin decoders myself and have thought about trying the Hatton's ones.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

hat time does portsmouth show start and end because i might try and go its my birthday on saturday and im around brighton so nearby ish

What*

Hi Ben,

The Portsmouth show by Victory MRC is 10am - 4.30pm on the Saturday only, here's some more details from the club's website -

http://www.victorymrc.org.uk/forthcoming-events.html?m

Have a good birthday and hopefully see you there!

Cheers,

James

• RMweb Premium

Hi James

Just came across this thread the other day and realised what I've been missing. Great work and truly inspirational. That Class 47 is a work of art. Shall be following along now with interest.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus! I was going to say the same about yours - just stumbled across your thread with the 'Pipe' - looking very good! Are you on Flickr with a similar name by chance? If so, then quite a lot of your wagon pics are now in my 'to do' ideas bank haha!!

• Like 1

Absolutley fantasic work as usual James! Really like the weathering on the 47!

Can I just ask, you mention about usign white paint to fade the livery. How did you do this, is the wash painted on then rubbed off to leave the effect or is it applied with a dry brush? Did  you have to thin the mix at all?

• RMweb Premium

Absolutley fantasic work as usual James! Really like the weathering on the 47!

Can I just ask, you mention about usign white paint to fade the livery. How did you do this, is the wash painted on then rubbed off to leave the effect or is it applied with a dry brush? Did  you have to thin the mix at all?

Thanks! To start with, the loco body had a coat of Matt varnish after the new number transfers had been applied, so any paint on top had a really good 'key' to stay attached to! I then painted on partially-thinned Humbrol matt white painted on and then wiped off with kitchen towel or cotton buds. I didn't even bother mixing it properly, I had a big brush with lots of white, then dipped it in my paint thinners, then straight onto the model!

The best bit is you can't really go wrong, if the livery is too whitened, just run over it again with an even thinner mix and it should darken the colour up again, or if you need even whiter, just apply a thicker mix of paint - very much trial and error!!

There are some caveats, thinners will remove some Bachmann printing with minimal effort so my top tip is to Matt varnish your loco, leave it a few days to harden and then go in hard on the fading! Best of luck! :)

Thanks Marcus! I was going to say the same about yours - just stumbled across your thread with the 'Pipe' - looking very good! Are you on Flickr with a similar name by chance? If so, then quite a lot of your wagon pics are now in my 'to do' ideas bank haha!!

Hi James

I'm afraid I'm a Smugmug man, not Flikr so cant take the credit.

Thanks for looking in on PDW.

Cheers

Marcus

This is very very good work on the 47. Doing tatty is a difficult ask as it can just look like a scrap loco if not done with great skill. I have often thought of doing one of the super grotty LL 47's but was never sure that it would translate to model form well. I may well give it a go now (in N of course), there probably wasn't any quite as ropy as that one in 1992 but I'll certainly look some pictures up I think!

Top work.

• Like 1

Like the others said; superb job on 47467 James. I remember that actual Crewe photograph in an old edition of "Traction" magazine and thought of it as soon as I saw the model before clocking the number and lo and behold....

Thanks! To start with, the loco body had a coat of Matt varnish after the new number transfers had been applied, so any paint on top had a really good 'key' to stay attached to! I then painted on partially-thinned Humbrol matt white painted on and then wiped off with kitchen towel or cotton buds. I didn't even bother mixing it properly, I had a big brush with lots of white, then dipped it in my paint thinners, then straight onto the model!

The best bit is you can't really go wrong, if the livery is too whitened, just run over it again with an even thinner mix and it should darken the colour up again, or if you need even whiter, just apply a thicker mix of paint - very much trial and error!!

There are some caveats, thinners will remove some Bachmann printing with minimal effort so my top tip is to Matt varnish your loco, leave it a few days to harden and then go in hard on the fading! Best of luck! :)

Thanks, I'm looking forward to giving it a go. I've got a set of Virgin HST power cars I'm itching to try it on!

• Like 1

When I've tried it, either all the white came off, or it looked like I'd painted it with a big 12 inch brush....white...

I guess I have paint but I'm not quite davinci !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Happy Friday all,

Here's the latest to leave the workbench - the first four 'production' HAAs following my prototype pair late last year -

27432937995_645ca0c783_b.jpgHAA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Based on period prototype pictures stolen from Flickr, joining the fleet today are HAAs 357806, 365624, 354075 and 352015. I like that they're based on actual, real wagons you can see for yourself online - I was too tempted to reel off the same numbers that Fox Transfers print on their sheets and slap them on a generic weathered wagon - I could bosh a rake out quickly but realised it'd be no fun!!

So the starting point was the comedy Hornby graffiti wagon - not in their Railroad range, but with a quality to match it! They were discounted to clear for about £8 each on Amazon last year so I stocked up! 

27361085081_bfcdf57c09_b.jpgHAA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I stripped off the graffiti with a scalpel and repainted each hopper body back to silver, adding the correct transfer markings for each wagon, cobbled together from Fox's HAA sheet and their little white numbers for Virgin West Coast Mk3 coaches!

27398866576_5a14b2be6a_b.jpgHAA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Instanter couplings and S Kits buffers were added to the underframe, while the silver hopper bodies had a coat of matt varnish over the new transfer markings. This was great for the weathering stages also - the washes of Track Dirt and dark greys cling nicely to the finish! The dark tones of Wolf Alice are recommended for coal wagon weathering projects.

The hopper cradles are then painted as per the prototypes, I chose a couple that were still in my personal favourite livery - Trainload Coal yellow! Though of course by my late 90s period, most were looking a shadow of their former selves - as below!

27156291660_93eab34af3_b.jpgHAA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

357806 is first up, it's yellow framing having faded to a lighter shade, and with a generally dirty appearance. Coal loads were added from real crushed coal, which was then sieved to get it even finer than the prototype pair of HAAs from last year. 

26823987124_a9b8bba812_b.jpgHAA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Hot on its heels is 352015 above in a reddy/browny framed livery and a 'D14' marking on the side, partially obscured by the electrification flash.

27333943262_dd3959e3c0_b.jpgHAA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

HAA 365624 is dressed as a former Railfreight red example, with quite a streaky appearance. After the main hopper body weathering stage, I went over the top with Humbrol 32 dark grey and cotton buds to highlight streaking detail from top down to bottom. Underframes are all mottled in a variety of browns and greys, with Colin Craig brake disc inserts on one wheel per axle. 

26825544583_a3f5622a93_b.jpgHAA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Finally 354075 above is another of my Trainload Coal favourites - although many of them have the blanked logos, there's a few that I'd handpicked that still wore the full colours! I will model the full variation, but just picking my favourites first!

And then all four together, ready to add to the prototype pair from last December, which themselves will need a slight tweaking to match the latest batch of four below.

27156272860_4f3f47e408_b.jpgHAA wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

All ready for service on Worthing MRC's Loftus Road! I've got some classic MGR traction in mind (no prizes for guessing class or running number!) and also looking at the more modern Bachmann EWS '66's which were once part of the pre-DCC Wells Green loco fleet but haven't turned a wheel in over 10 years! (66008/66241) Should be some fun re-activations coming!

I'm going to end up boring everyone, but with only 6 complete, still got another 66 HAA wagons which need re-working....! 

• Like 16