NRM Midland Compound

exet1095

It is a little annoying that the NRM seems so amateurish in its retail operation. I would have thought that like most businesses these days they'd put in some extra effort to beef up this source of income.

As regards delivery, I'm not too bothered about waiting, but as they won't let me pre order in person, I would like to know when they will arrive so I don't miss out.

As an aside, there were some CoT models for sale, both red and black framed. The red ones were a little cheaper as they'd been repaired by Bachmann but had damaged boxes. I wonder what the story is behind these ?

Well, yet again I am in York on business, yet again I'm sat outside the NRM, and yet again I've been told by the two shop assistants that there is no way to pre order in the shop, only online. I fibbed a little and said I'd been "told on the phone" that there was a list under the counter, but just got a sheepish "no" in response.

Dave,

The solution is in your hands.

Next time, do what I did and insist on seeing the retail manager. (I'd made a special one hour trip to the NRM, on the first day that pre-orders were accepted, as I was away from the internet for a couple of weeks).

She went straight to the till and produced the tear-off pad of pre-order forms.

She personally took down my item, payment and despatch details.

Now, in the light of our collective experience of NRM retail incompetence, it is possible, I suppose, that my order has not been transcribed into the system; (thinks - better e-mail the NRM to check) !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

...I must be getting old - in my lexicon a 'fulfillment centre' had very little to do with model railways

Ah, but that was in the days when services were locally sourced, foot patrols had a bit of dust in their eyes, and....... cash only.

But better leave this alone before a young MoD steps in.

Re. the NRM retail outlet, I found the Shop Manager very helpful, but the staff seem to have very limited powers to think beyond selling key rings etc., Not their fault, I believe it's the training they have.

Now, in the light of our collective experience of NRM retail incompetence, it is possible, I suppose, that my order has not been transcribed into the system; (thinks - better e-mail the NRM to check) !!

That was a mistake !!

Tried to phone the telephone number given on the we page for the NRM Bachmann Exclusive Midland Compound, 0151-650-6062; despite the promise of being put through to 'an adviser', no answer.

So, decided to use the NRM 'Contact us' on-line query page; I just asked for confirmation that my order, placing in person at the shop, was 'in the system'.

I got this in reply :-

Good Afternoon Mr Isherwood.

I have received your comments from the feedback form that you have completed regarding your order for a Midland Compound.

Please note that as you have ordered this directly from the shop within the museum I would not be able to find any details of your order,

However if you contact the shop directly they will be able to advise you.

Their telephone number is 01904 686240

Please note that we do not yet have stock of the Midland Compound, we have been advised that these should be in stock shortly and will be dispatched once we have received them.

Kind regards

Grant

National Railway Museum Customer Services

www.nrmshop.co.uk

So - thought that I'd try the shop number supplied; no answer.

I have therefore sent Grant the following response :-

Grant,

In theory, that's great - but no-one answers the phone; it's just a recorded message.

Also, the recorded message says that anyone wanting to order a Midland Compound should go to the NRM on-line shop website.

That's fine if you have a PC, but no help whatsoever if you don't, or are away from a PC for several days.

Please ask the Retail Manager to call me on 01223-355323 without delay, or I shall be obliged to contact Steve Davies directly.

What's going on at the NRM?

I read today that the bill to get Flying Scotsman running is now TWO MILLION POUNDS ! Yet here we have railway enthusiasts ready and willing to shell out £140 for an NRM exclusive model, but the NRM doesn't seem to want to deal with us unless we have a PC, or are prepared to make the journey to the museum AFTER the models are released.

You want to order one in advance to make sure that you get one, but you don't have a PC - tough!

You want to talk to us about the order that you (may have?) placed - tough!

It's about time that someone was made responsible for retail service who actually understands what that is!!

I will await developments tomorrow; if there are none, then it will be a direct call to the Director.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

......and 1000 plus a big black thing with detachable smoke deflectors on it's way to the SouthEast.

Must say that the NRM Shop was flexible in the handling my order for both these locos - Flying Scotsman was held for me until the Compound arrived so that just one parcel with one postage charge was incurred.

Once 1000 arrives will be able to replicate the Ian Allan Special Train to Doncaster Works hauled by the Compound and City of Truro that I travelled on those many years ago....... Pleasant memories......

Keith

I will await developments tomorrow; if there are none, then it will be a direct call to the Director.

I have spoken to the NRM today outlining your concerns and those relating to the shop and pre-orders. The comments about pre-orders in the shop are being taken on board. The 0151 number relates to the customer service centre handling orders and again the NRM have noted the comments and will be taking action on them shortly. NRM staff are working hard to turn this around swiftly and appreciate it being brought to their attention.

I have spoken to the NRM today outlining your concerns and those relating to the shop and pre-orders. The comments about pre-orders in the shop are being taken on board. The 0151 number relates to the customer service centre handling orders and again the NRM have noted the comments and will be taking action on them shortly. NRM staff are working hard to turn this around swiftly and appreciate it being brought to their attention.

Andy,

Thanks for that - much appreciated.

However - I too have been trying to contact someone at the NRM to confirm if I actually have an order recorded for 1000.

I was assured yesterday that someone from the shop would ring me today - they didn't.

I tried the 0151 number again today - waste of time, no answer despite the recorded promise of 'an adviser'.

I tried to speak to the retail manager again today, but she wasn't in. I now have her name and phone number, and will and speak to her tomorrow.

As the despatch e-mails are apparently being issued, and as I made a special trip to the NRM on the first day that orders were accepted, I am starting to believe that the order form that was filled in for me was filed under BIN !!

..... and why, when many of the NRM departments have website listed 01904 (York) numbers, is the switchboard / general enquiries on an premium rate number?

Solution - ring one of the listed 01904 numbers and ask to be put through to the switchboard. I WILL NOT be ripped-off in order to speak to a museum of which I, and all other UK taxpayers are co-owners.

Not impressed !!

Andy, if you can get someone who can tell me if I have an order for 1000 to call me, you're a better man than me - and I'll be VERY grateful.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

..... and why, when many of the NRM departments have website listed 01904 (York) numbers, is the switchboard / general enquiries on an premium rate number?

Solution - ring one of the listed 01904 numbers and ask to be put through to the switchboard. I WILL NOT be ripped-off in order to speak to a museum of which I, and all other UK taxpayers are co-owners.

Not impressed !!

Seconded. Not very useful when your main phone is a mobile, with a call plan - like most - with whopping charges to an 08xx number. And don't get me started on our local doctor using one.......

As an aside, there were some CoT models for sale, both red and black framed. The red ones were a little cheaper as they'd been repaired by Bachmann but had damaged boxes. I wonder what the story is behind these ?

I called them from Australia last week and I was told that there were no red framed City of Truro's left ! I wonder what is going on ? How much were they ?

You want a red framed Truro? Ring Shildon on 01388 771430 or 771439, there are two in there this morning.

Thanks, I have done that and one has been put aside for me pending the arrival of the Midland compound. By the way, is the City of Truro DCC ready ?

Thanks, I have done that and one has been put aside for me pending the arrival of the Midland compound. By the way, is the City of Truro DCC ready ?

Great - Sandra in the shop rang me to check it was you who called this morning. Glad to hear they've been able to help!

• RMweb Premium

Great - Sandra in the shop rang me to check it was you who called this morning. Glad to hear they've been able to help!

Looks like Captain Kernow might be up for one as well, judging by his recent post in the CoT thread.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like Captain Kernow might be up for one as well, judging by his recent post in the CoT thread.

Wanting and affording are two different things, sadly, especially with other stuff rapidly approaching these shores that will also want paying for!.... that's why I wondered whether another production run of the red framed variety might be on the cards, 'in due course'....

• RMweb Gold

......and 1000 plus a big black thing with detachable smoke deflectors on it's way to the SouthEast.

Must say that the NRM Shop was flexible in the handling my order for both these locos - Flying Scotsman was held for me until the Compound arrived so that just one parcel with one postage charge was incurred.

Once 1000 arrives will be able to replicate the Ian Allan Special Train to Doncaster Works hauled by the Compound and City of Truro that I travelled on those many years ago....... Pleasant memories......

Keith

Yodel has just been and delivered a package from the NRM and, needless to say, has been set up on my test track:

post-586-0-19894500-1321019537.jpg

and soon after, City of Truro drew up along side:

post-586-0-05103900-1321019699.jpg

....and not long afterwards the pair were coupled up together to back down to Kings Cross to take the Ian Allan Special to Doncaster works;

post-586-0-72153200-1321019650.jpg

It was such a long time ago but can't remember which one was the train engine :scratchhead: ......

Keith

Archived